What is it that is uncomfortable about grados?
Nov 14, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that is the good thing about Grado's, you can try different pads and there are so many mods out there that can easily be done and reversed...
To the OP: Give Grado's a try and if you find them uncomfy wash the pads or get different pads.

Yup...

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #19 of 34
On my SR80's I found the bowls too hard & uncomfortable. I could only wear them for about 15 minutes before my ears hurt. I tried washing the bowls but that didn't help much.

Then I bought the HD-414 pads & did the reverse trick. This made them much more comfortable to wear! I can still only wear them about an hour or so at a time. As mentioned, you can easily bend the headband to the shape of your head, so I consider the tightness a non-issue.

I also own a pair of DT770Pro/80s that I use for everyday use. I find that I can wear them for hours. I love the Grados for listening to rock & acoustic music though, so I won't sell them.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrzemekDraheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider Grado SR-60 to be the most comfortable headphones I have ever had on my head.

Good for you. Guess you had the ideal ear/head-size combination
regular_smile .gif
. But as we said above, you can always adapt, and not have to deprive yourself of that magical Grado sound.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 34
The ear pads.
Material, design, clamping factor, ...

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But as we said above, you can always adapt, and not have to deprive yourself of that magical Grado sound.

I totally agree. You can bend the headband and make those phones disappear, they are so light-weight. Not too long ago there was a similar thread on the similar topic. As I wrote there, I do think that the whole discomfort thing with Grados is well exaggerated. I like their comfort way better then the comfort of Sennheiser HD600.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

When I first got my SR-60's, and purchased bowls for them, I found that my ears sat inside the bowls, touching the drivers. As others have said, a bit uncomfortable. So...I reversed the bowls and...voila! Problem solved. The sound was every bit as good as it was previously (and much better than the stock comfies) and, because my ears then sat a bit farther away from the drivers, I think the soundstage might have improved a bit, although that could easily be placebo.

I just tried reversing the bowls on my sr-80 and wow, it does sounds better! I think i'm still going to try the soft flat pads that come with the sr-60 though, need to cut back on the highs a bit and increase the bass, as well as more comfort (hopefully).

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #25 of 34
The grammar in the title is just fine; there are no errors that I can see.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #26 of 34
No pain, no gain.
biggrin.gif

Though Grados do indeed suffer from not staying on your head easily, 325is especially. Sit still or else!
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOakTopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also own a pair of DT770Pro/80s that I use for everyday use. I find that I can wear them for hours. I love the Grados for listening to rock & acoustic music though, so I won't sell them.

I am backwards, I just sold my DT770 mainly due that it hurt my head and my SR-60's started to sound better. Now I am looking for a new Grado upgrade. I should have to returned to the forum. I did wash the pads and the itching went away.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried reversing the bowls on my sr-80 and wow, it does sounds better! I think i'm still going to try the soft flat pads that come with the sr-60 though, need to cut back on the highs a bit and increase the bass, as well as more comfort (hopefully).

Glad it helped. Keep in mind that you'll be making a slight concession in audio quality by going to the comfies (my impression was a more "muffled" sound overall, which makes sense in that there's no longer an absolutely clear path between the driver and your ear), but you may prefer the compromise. You know what they say about different strokes...
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Glad it helped. Keep in mind that you'll be making a slight concession in audio quality by going to the comfies (my impression was a more "muffled" sound overall, which makes sense in that there's no longer an absolutely clear path between the driver and your ear), but you may prefer the compromise. You know what they say about different strokes...
bigsmile_face.gif

You may want to try the yellow HD-414 pads. They're inexpensive & if you cutout a quarter-sized hole in the pad & reverse them, they're a similar sound & shape to the bowls (plus much more comfortable IMO). With the reversed 414 pads you still get a clear path from the driver to your ear.

The bowls sound a little better to me, but worth the small difference for a more comfortable experience.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by darthdata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am backwards, I just sold my DT770 mainly due that it hurt my head and my SR-60's started to sound better. Now I am looking for a new Grado upgrade. I should have to returned to the forum. I did wash the pads and the itching went away.

Yep, everyone's different.

I'm surprised more headphones aren't like the Grados where you can bend & adjust the band to fit your head exactly, definitely one of their better selling points... beyond the great sound. I just wish they were more comfortable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back