What is it about music?
Jan 12, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #32 of 45
It depends on music. Mostly my music of choise tends to get power from the darker side of man, its the thing that touches me easiest, and pretentious overhappy and pompous stuff tends to make me grind my teeth and give me headache. (Vivaldi Four Seasons and similar jumpy stuff, AAARGH!!!)
Sometimes its bit angsty as much as it shames for me to admit, will to be free from shackles and riffs with feeling of power. I dont know why I like it as Im not exactly teen or such, but I still do...
redface.gif
Its a feeling, and I love it.

Sometimes music gives me insight to completely different mindset than my own (or perhaps not so different, who knows) and I find it fascinating, views to IMO twisted minds or views to vile acts of some person. Sometimes it gives me insight to completely different world or surroundings, or as somebody said heaven or hell, or some alternative fantasy (realism escape?)

Sometimes it succumbs me to concentrate on my deeper self, passive self analyzing and feeling of grim, crushing isolation. But on same subject also opposite can happen, some music brings me smile, instead of deep analyzing it makes my deep self come out in joy, for the lack of better words in english, mostly calm and beautifull, flowing harmony stuff.

So my views of music is completely emotion driven. While im pretty realist, (borderline pessimist) and sort of analyzing person, music is all about extreme ends of emotion. And its MUSIC that is important. Lyrics mean NOTHING to me, and I pretty much hate vocal driven stuff, especially grey area and "safe" stuff, as it means nothing to me and touches nothing inside me, (singing is important, but not words unless they are utter gibberish) they are just empty words.

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #33 of 45
Music is how I understand the world around me. It, very literally, mediates my external world and my internal world.

And it provides me with inspiration to write. I've written a lot of short stories that were born from a single line in a song.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grew up with a father who loved classical. Then, I took musical lessons through school and really came to appreciate music even more after taking classes and learning about all of the intricacies of music theory, the historical contexts of music, etc. Mood sure. But moreso now than before, music has taken on a new meaning for me. I can associate music... certain songs or pieces to memories of my life. So when I hear a song, it not only evokes emotions based on its own melodies and instrumentation or whatever, it also brings me back to memorable experiences in my life.

I can completely relate to the second half of what you said. I'm only 18 so I havn't done all that much yet, but from trips, to good times that I've had music has been with me the whole time and when those songs come up I re-live memories. I remember one playlist that I created before a 10 day trip to Costa Rica that I took. Know whenever I hear any of those I relive it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 45
When the perfect tone touches me the physical part of me gets bigger than my psyche. Nothing else matters than the feeling. If I was thinking about something that instantly goes away.
And analyzing the music is a nice intellectual challenge, and very enjoyable for me.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #37 of 45
Food may be the key to my heart but music is the mainline to my soul.

Music can bare the soul and allow the soul to be touched through the expression of music. Music can truely unify as a shared experience perhaps more than any other form of communication. It allows me to believe there is more to us all than selfish genes.

The music my baby daughter makes when she falls asleep in my arms after her last feed completes my day. It may be cheesy but there is a soundtrack to life and for me it is all the better for being punctuated and complimented by the music we come here to discuss and enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #38 of 45
Music for me is more than just music. I love music that strike the balance between great lyrics, great music, and great vocal.

The lyrics plays important role on my music selection, I don't like it to be just a bunch of words without any meaning. Most of my music tells story about life journey. I hate the rap music because it's not singing, its just talking crap

Talking about lyrics, I prefer the artist themself makes them, because they are the one who can shows how it's done. The energy is different when another artist plays other's music

About the music, I love the usage of acoustic guitar and piano. And other instruments that involving string. All of this must not overpower the vocal of the singer, if not it's just noises to me

Mostly listen to pop music, from the old Carpenters to Dido

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercbuggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Music can bare the soul and allow the soul to be touched through the expression of music. Music can truely unify as a shared experience perhaps more than any other form of communication. It allows me to believe there is more to us all than selfish genes.

The music my baby daughter makes when she falls asleep in my arms after her last feed completes my day. It may be cheesy but there is a soundtrack to life and for me it is all the better for being punctuated and complimented by the music we come here to discuss and enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Poetic.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercbuggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

"Soundtrack to life" is a phenomenal phrase here that I definitely want to chime in on. With the new wave of IEMs, I can listen to my music on the go, and it takes on a new dimension. For example, when I take the El train now, I block out all the outside noise, and can really groove to my music. An example: Some jazz playing in my head as I watch the rain drizzle down outside the window of the train car gives this really neat I'm living in my own movie feeling.

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #41 of 45
I'm an INTP (Myers Briggs personality type) which means that I tend to like assimilating complex things. A lot of the music that I listen to (e.g. contemporary classical and jazz) is just quite difficult to understand, and it's a sort of passtime to try to untangle and assess it.

Of course, I also like music purely for the aesthetic pleasure, but I don't think that I would listen to and buy so much of it now were it not for the cerebral challenge.

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a psychology major everyone's opinions and thoughts on the very complex and wonderful world of music interests me very much.

Evolutionary psychologists disagree about whether our passion for music is adaptive, enhancing our biological fitness, or just fluff that "piggybacks" on other adaptations. Read more here.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Evolutionary psychologists disagree about whether our passion for music is adaptive, enhancing our biological fitness, or just fluff that "piggybacks" on other adaptations. Read more here.

Interesting article. Musics tie to the brain and humanity has a lot of grey areas that's for sure.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #44 of 45
ive always listened to music. but for me, when i really got into it was when i was going over to my friends house. i took the bus. at the transfer point i walked into the mall to buy a cd. i didnt know which one. i just liked something playing in between my ears. i looked at bands from the beatles to the smashing pumpkins. i think i spent almost 45 min looking for a cd to buy. the one that i finally settled on was Recovering the Satellites by Counting Crows. put it in my cd player and walked to the bus stop. the reason why i chose this cd was because A Long December was just released. i found the song to be catchy. i remember thinking to myself that this band was really good. fast forward 12 years later and 2 copies of the cd, i listen to music because i feel that i can relate to the singer. the more i listen to the album the more i appreciate the lyrical genius that is Adam Duritz.

to tag along with relating to the music, me, being a perfectionist, took history of R&R in school. to me you cant really appreciate something unless you know the roots. for example, many of us enjoy games on the xbox, playstation or $2000 computers. well its also nice to go back to classics like super mario bros for the 8-bit nintendo or back further still to pac-man or even pong.

artist like bob dylan, "the boss", clapton, these are some people i appreciate because of where they led and are leading music. even 80's bands like the cure, sonic youth, the pixies and mud honey led to bands like nirvana. bush, pearl jam, blink-182, coldplay, dave matthews and eve 6

lets not also forget james brown, elvis, brian wilson (beach boys), aretha franklin, janis joplin. i really could go on forever.

but seriously buying that one album changed the way i listened to music from something that was just there to something that is now apart of me. my ipod is with me almost 24/7. oh and music takes me away from the crap of the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

i listen to almost anything i can get my hands on except cRAP and country

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am definitely in the courtship/communication theory camp for the origin of music as we know it. In its own evolutionary development music has reached the level of 'super stimulus' as in it's preferred form for each individual it can achieve Psychological/physiological effects on the listener. Its power ranges from the groupie effect to simply singing my daughter to sleep. I would definitely agree with the adaptive view as music itself evolves as culture evolves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back