What is it about music?
Dec 27, 2007 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

classic_rock_69

100+ Head-Fier
What makes music so special to you guys. It must be pretty damn good for us to drop big money into cd's and audio gear etc.. to listen to it. So what it is that you love so much about music?

For me being a student, music is a fantastic way to relax and get away from everything I have to do. Rock, jazz and blues are my favorite genres, and listening to the sheer genius of many of these artists just puts a smile on my face all the time. New riffs, new solos and new combinations of those sounds always peak my interest greatly and keep me coming back for more. Also the point when you get a little chill going down your spine which occurs during songs that just blow me away.It's a feeling I wish I could have all the time.

That to me is why I love music, i'd like to hear what others have to say.

Dec 27, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 45
Music is my life (sadly).

It controls my mood, and it is music that brought emotion into my world. Of course, this is coming from someone who lives a highly anti-social life ^_^

I'm a student as well--I find that music does everything to me. It motivates me, it lifts up my spirit, it helps me sleep, it helps me -think- and stay sane.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 45
Escape from Reality
cool.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 45
Music is my drug of choice.

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 45
Grew up with a father who loved classical. Then, I took musical lessons through school and really came to appreciate music even more after taking classes and learning about all of the intricacies of music theory, the historical contexts of music, etc. Mood sure. But moreso now than before, music has taken on a new meaning for me. I can associate music... certain songs or pieces to memories of my life. So when I hear a song, it not only evokes emotions based on its own melodies and instrumentation or whatever, it also brings me back to memorable experiences in my life.

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 45
Where to start?

- Stress reliever
- Escapism
- Emotional charge
- Inspiration for creativity
- Mood lifter
- Anger management
- Glimpse into past
- Aural tourism to other countries' cultures
- Best medium to completely veg out to

Music is amazing. In life, it makes the lows much more bearable and the highs that much better.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 45
As a couple of people before me have said, mostly stress reliever or anger management type issue. I listen to different music based on what my current mood is, and different music can put me into a different mood.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 45
My background: music student, pursuing B.M. in classical performance on the double bass. Also play jazz, bluegrass, Afro-Cuban (currently).

Music is:
-Something you can appreciate aesthetically on many levels, for its superficial beauty or its deep symmetries and carefully crafted self-references. In this way, to me, it feels like a separate world or alternate universe, an endless expanse of possibilities to explore (both in terms of listening and creating music).
- A stimulus for thought in general, or a mirror that helps me to see myself better. Why am I listening to this music? What sounds/instruments am I listening to and why? How do I feel about it and why? Not that I always learn a lot this way, but nonetheless listening is a very introspective experience for me. Sometimes it can be a kind of tug-of-war between aesthetic appreciation (as described above) and introspection, and I'm not sure which I want to do!
-A stimulus that I sometimes feel helps me understand more about people, their behavior, their motivations. The variety in sounds that people call "music" is staggering, and so too the reasons that they have for creating and listening to it. So it stands to reason, if you can appreciate a wide range of music, you can relate at least a little to people from many walks of life.

Hrm, it looks like I've just written something kind of strange... I don't mean to come across as some kind of pseudophilosopher. Music is just a very multifaceted experience for me! Right now I'm listening to Osvaldo Golijov's "La Pasión Según San Marcos", which is really fascinating. Might start a thread about it at some point.

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 45
My hearing, though not my strongest sense, seems to react the most euphorically to stimulus. I learned that early on, when particular hooks, riffs, solos or even just a great, simple bassline gave me the kind of butterflies most would associate with a roller coaster. Of course, my sense of touch yields much euphoria as well, but let's not discuss that.
redface.gif

My mind has been hungry for perspective early on as well and, as mentioned by pdennis, music is a window to another person's world. But it's not always that personal; sometimes it's the experimentation in sound, time or rhythm that draws me. I never "hate" music until I've given it time to digest. If I didn't, I wouldn't enjoy some of the harmonically dissonant, off-beat and "ugly" music that I do.

Of course, we're all unique in a way here: most people listen to music through loudspeakers which, in many cases, means the listening being done will be a little more casual... at least in contrast to folks who spend time listening privately. With headphones, it indicates something more personal, private. I can't say that I dissect the music while I'm actually listening, but I do like to think about music critically and spend time afterwards to draw something from the experience. My tastes range from simple, riff-heavy fun stuff, right through to heady, challenging work and all of it can be worth contemplating, even if it's simply to ask why I like it.

Above all, however, I listen for the fun. There is something arcane, ancient in music that speaks to the spirit and stirs emotions. I am not a religious man, but music seems to be a gateway to the human spirit, a link to our most primitive urges, be they jovial, subdued or violent.

I will never get enough of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back