What is going on with my Q-Jays? (Green stuff, oxidation, mold?)
Nov 3, 2011 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kartellen

Head-Fier
What's going on with my babies?!
My Q-Jays have started... well, I have no idea what's going on, but they've started becoming green in some places.

First of all, the green stuff has appeared on the 3.5mm plug, I have wiped it off with paper a few times, it's still stays green but a lighter color after the wipe. And then after a week or two it's more green "stuff" and I wipe it away again. It doesn't completely go away. I just wiped the connector before the picture was taken.

Also, in picture number two, there is green stuff in those really small holes. There is some purple stuff on the cable aswell.

What is this, and how the hell do I get rid of it?!
They're not even that old, I bought them in the beginning of the year, in March or April I think. I know I didn't have them in February at least.

Also, I've noticed the last few days that the volume is much lower than I'm used to, but that could be the computer or something, I haven't really done any testing.

NO, I have not been using them at the gym or anything like that, I only use them with my PC, so they get almost no sweat etc on them. I have been very careful like I am with all my other belongings.

Should I be worried?

Click on the images and you should see a bigger version.

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 6
Hello

It's the copper that over time oxidates and it penetrates through the rubber...

You can see a lot of threads mentioning this issue on clear cables, why i also chose black cables on my custom to prolong seeing this discolouring happening to me...

It must be a issue with using very thin isolation of the cables, and it might be an issue with the copper thats in use - that its not pure enough, a wide viarity if reasons if u ask me..

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 6
This is what happens when you dont use protection 
biggrin.gif
. Na dude above me is right

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 6
Bump.

Haven't used them for a few days, and now when I started using them again, I noticed that the volume is lower in the left one... Does oxidation hurt the IEMs or something? What should I do now?

I tried another pair of IEMs and a pair of Porta Pros and it sounds fine when I use them, so I don't have anything stuck in my ear :p

edit: Oh my bad, there's nothing wrong with them!

I just visited Jays website and read this;

Quote:
One of my earphones is not as loud as the other. Why?

Your filters have most likely been clogged by wax or dirt build-up. Even the smallest amount of wax can cause a drastic drop in sound level, so change the filters to ensure they haven't been clogged. Most of the earphones returned to Jays are not defective, but clogged.
If the problem persists then contact your reseller for further help. 
If you change the filters regulary and always keep them on while listening your earphones will stay awesome for many years to come!

PLEASE NOTE! Many users just look at the filters and believe they look ok. To be 100% sure you need to change the filters even if they look ok.

If you experience some of the following problems then do change the filters.
  1. Lower or no sound volume on one or both sides
  2. Distorted sound
  3. Intermittent lower sound
  4. Problem with balance (sound not centered)
  5. Worse Bass, Mids or Treble

So yeah, in case anyone else has the same problem, try changing/removing the filters and see if that solved it.

I have never changed my filter because they've never looked dirty at all. I just removed them completely and now the sound is good again!

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 6
the green parts are the usual result of white or transparent cables you can't really help it but i've got to say, i've had 2 pairs of qjays, 1 of the cables is more than 2 years old and is not even close to what you ve got on yours. maybe there's a lot of humidity where you live or something. (i use mine for jogging)
the purple part looks more like a little a pencil mark to me.

about the filters it's really nothing at all to change them, there a little sticky part around the filters you put it on the earphone and "voila" . i ve even heard people cleaning them and putting them back on.
but i do recommend that you put some filters back on. cause when your earwax will be on the drivers it will be too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back