What is everybody's favorite Solid State Headphone Amp?
Jan 5, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #46 of 92
The Sparkos Labs Aries looks interesting 🤔
There is a review that says the Aries can drive from sensitive iems to high impedance while keeping a black background and a clean sound. That’s good for my sensitive Onkyo and about to have soon have Sony MA900.
After I got the Sparkos Aries I stopped trying ss amps…. It’s significantly better than anything else I’ve heard and I’m torn between it and the Auris Nirvana tube amp as they both do things so well, but the Sparkos is probably the more audiophile amp. Whereas the Nirvana is perfect for some music, especially vocals… that tube magic…

Worthy of a listen, and I can vouch for excellent after sales support.

T

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #48 of 92
Everyone shared their favorite SS amp, it’s time to finally share mine 😁

I just recently received the Beta22 amp and holy moly! This is the cleanest sound I ever heard. Even with my low impedance headphones, still got a black background the sound is just so clean. Super happy I was able to find a Beta22 amp in 2023. Going to buy a proper shelf later and I got some Level 6.2 ABSOLUTE Analog RCA cables coming in later in the month. Probably going to buy some power cables too down the line. This is going to be a good year :L3000:

C16675EF-D765-473A-804E-1E7E0868594F.jpeg

E53FF608-3977-47D7-9447-91CD21A06E17.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #49 of 92
GSX MK2 for myself

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #50 of 92
CFA3 for planars and DSHA-3F for dynamics.

If you head something like HD800, the ECP Black Diamond is really special.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #51 of 92
CFA3 for planars and DSHA-3F for dynamics.

If you head something like HD800, the ECP Black Diamond is really special.
I didn't realise the DSHA-3F was released yet.

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #52 of 92
By a wide margin, Violectric HPA V281 !!

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #53 of 92
The DSHA-3 got released a couple years back already, but production stopped. I think you got it confused with the DSHA-3FN from NITSCH that's coming in later in the year. I heard there are some differences with the new DSHA-3FN like a different circuit, but don't remember the details.

Also I just received news about the DSHA-3FN if anybody is interested:

NITSCH x ecp Audio DSHA-3FN
Hi Everyone,

Lots of updates for the DSHA-3FN…thank you so much for being interested!

1. Just got back from spending time with Doug of ecp Audio. One of the coolest things about my “job” is being able to hang with analog designers, learning and listening. We approved the PCB sample and the circuit build! My factory has all of the PCBs and parts, so we are good to go.

2. On Sunday, I showed the DSHA sample in <almost-final> chassis at a big local Bay Area meet. Got lots of great feedback about the sound and chassis design. Here is a pic before things started and right at the end of the day after things slowed down:
aD5heeaXuS67W7NyaXdFt4bU6qnR4a8jYgA5JJx8LzfA6tbUZ4tO7Unos_cvIrmMyQBbcTuEdKyiJkvrshjm6ckrhNgUhYbUXg-Qt8g9JTnNXYy-ns9lnPwQhekYUs2Ydh80r4l6qBO-6rW1TT5rsb_DY1-eMg=s0-d-e1-ft
VblG94qGw-GSNipwFnjZYkW-rL0NLRPWE0hh3u6cslo_WY91GoK-b41ecvb-_yP5LS0rICS636LJl7OEPTEyimNUVGuE6ntsmBJcKv_ODOEN69Uo0DURHgtr5stpkFvtmaiFUmQGj-drbTRrWbMDYhSFTIxQWg=s0-d-e1-ft
3. The new wood panels are custom made by a craftsman in the U.S. The design is inspired by the acoustic room treatments at Blackbird Studios in Nashville. There will be a range of walnut panels from very light to very dark.
4eCa8a3fHzOiUPuUMPVTh7Y6gLQsvso2vIBvFfd25TiTSTGD8F81HpTnjeT6QpXHp8bJj4H_RU8pt-pf8gF2Sbw0B1Unz6gc5O6ZYiJroGU1YquhC0VKnymbjBNFAlox1dXKt_X6Bh7sTQmPCZRFWjVbfutrXQ=s0-d-e1-ft
4. We just need to match the logo badge, volume knob, screws, and feet. Working with the factory now to try and finish this as quickly as possible. I’ll post photos before any sales open. Here is the first sample before final tweaks:
ieZddLr_k4w2319x1ZTESKvIIY80OvUoNArk5oz9GABWq5-0S9DzZvVoBoMRhTlED5HGWXES8TZZ2ZgilGI6SHWc7nUgjKWMtezfW86QqjCiHI2vAz1GywKnTzL5Ri33tKedOyyU1vTe3-vEpcmcClZ4bOabZA=s0-d-e1-ft

KhpnA_c6kzCPMthFl3ONI152Bv0hIYY5yjUcoL4LRKXip2bmygw5oHh17swP0WtGj9ENYUdzE2vdKP5K6CIKZFQ5hc6BvvgkKk1M5jOWcSa2qJlkiYCMFCl_MzJPs0exKK2wqvMTh98B-ZmDM_22GvBEzOfOKw=s0-d-e1-ft
5. Buying and testing some protective carry cases. After some issues with very rough shipping and handling, I am buying some hard cases to ensure these make it to you safely (and wherever you want to take them).

6. The run will only be 35 amps. As much as I wanted to be able to lower the price from what Doug originally charged, there are many custom parts from Sweden, Canada, and the U.S. For the first run, I will keep pricing the same as the original amp, $2,799.

I’m really excited and hope to have them in 1-2 months!

Big Cheers,
Christian (CEE TEE)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #54 of 92
I will assume you were thinking of the 3FN from NITSCH. Otherwise that would be the 4F Doug has not released a run of.

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #55 of 92
Everyone shared their favorite SS amp, it’s time to finally share mine 😁

I just recently received the Beta22 amp and holy moly! This is the cleanest sound I ever heard. Even with my low impedance headphones, still got a black background the sound is just so clean. Super happy I was able to find a Beta22 amp in 2023. Going to buy a proper shelf later and I got some Level 6.2 ABSOLUTE Analog RCA cables coming in later in the month. Probably going to buy some power cables too down the line. This is going to be a good year :L3000:

C16675EF-D765-473A-804E-1E7E0868594F.jpeg

E53FF608-3977-47D7-9447-91CD21A06E17.jpeg
Hmmm that amp looks awfully familiar. :o2smile:

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #56 of 92
Hmmm that amp looks awfully familiar. :o2smile:
Yeah, it's your amp originally. I bought it from a guy in another forum. I had to research where he got it from and found out it was yours originally. Definitely, one of the best amps/sounds I have ever heard thanks to this amp. It was really well made and well taken off even though I am like the third owner of this amp. Don't worry, I always remember to turn down the volume before plugging and unplugging the headphones.

Beta22 headphone amp built by Rockhopper Audio
Info:

The Amplifier (Beta 22):

2 RCA inputs
RCA loop out
Gain is 5 (if the previous owner remembers correctly, but his items right0
DACT stepped attenuator
User switchable 120/240v for global usage
3-channel active ground configuration
Vishay/Dale resistors used throughout
Rockhopper signature Orange LED

The Power Supply (Sigma 22):

120V-240V operation
High quality DC umbilical cord

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #57 of 92
Yeah, it's your amp originally. I bought it from a guy in another forum. I had to research where he got it from and found out it was yours originally. Definitely, one of the best amps/sounds I have ever heard thanks to this amp. It was really well made and well taken off even though I am like the third owner of this amp. Don't worry, I always remember to turn down the volume before plugging and unplugging the headphones.

Beta22 headphone amp built by Rockhopper Audio
Info:

The Amplifier (Beta 22):

2 RCA inputs
RCA loop out
Gain is 5 (if the previous owner remembers correctly, but his items right0
DACT stepped attenuator
User switchable 120/240v for global usage
3-channel active ground configuration

The Power Supply (Sigma 22):

120V-240V operation
High quality DC umbilical cord
I’m glad it found a great home and hope it will continue to bring you sonic bliss. I have heard dozens of amps over the years and beta 22 is still one of the best for dynamic headphones.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #58 of 92
the CFA3 by far. But it certainly varies depending on the build.
For commercially available amps, very difficult to choose between MSB Premier, GSX mk2 and DSHA-3FN
I am very impressed with DSHA-3FN in the Bay Area meet, and it is the best amp in the entire meet (regardless of price, there are some way more expensive setups on other tables)
it mostly comes down to synergy I'd say

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #59 of 92
Nothing fancy for me because I like tubes but the Piety is definitely a good little amp. I've owned the Magni 3 and 3+. The Asgard 2 and 3. The Rupert Neve amp. For solid state I still have a Drop THX789 and I've owned the Piety for a few days with around 20 hours on it. The Piety is a keeper.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #60 of 92
Nothing fancy for me because I like tubes but the Piety is definitely a good little amp. I've owned the Magni 3 and 3+. The Asgard 2 and 3. The Rupert Neve amp. For solid state I still have a Drop THX789 and I've owned the Piety for a few days with around 20 hours on it. The Piety is a keeper.
Imagine what the new DSHA-3FN will be like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back