What is everybody's favorite Solid State Headphone Amp?
Apr 21, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #63 of 92
That's all I'll be able to do because I'm retired and that's out of budget.
I bet it'll be really good though. I have the Piety and a Vahalla 2 to keep me company.
You are hardly slumming it with the Piety my friend - I haven't seen a bad review or owner comment yet!

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #64 of 92
Vioelectric HPA V281. Excellent on all headphones that I own (see ‘signature’). PS, nice DAC, @Saberpunch ! I own the Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Pro Level. 😊
I would second this recommendation!
And if you can't find one of those, the V220 is also very nice. It is a stripped down V281 with no balanced out and less power. I would imagine that the sound is very similar and it is a keeper for me. And the price is not horrible for a used model.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #65 of 92
You are hardly slumming it with the Piety my friend - I haven't seen a bad review or owner comment yet!
You got that right! I have around 25 hours on it now. I really wasn't exactly hearing a tube like sonic signature at first. I bought my first piece of tube gear 13 years ago, a great Fisher 500C. I still have a Harman Kardon A500 integrated tube amp. I think that the Asgard 3 has a warmer sound. After getting some hours on it and listening now I think it has a great soundstage. A really holographic soundstage and that definitely reminds me of tubes. It does have a touch of warmth though, not too much but just right. In my opinion a better soundstage than the Asgard 3.
The Vahalla 2 is a real beast and this amp is a baby beast, I love it.
It's a great match with the Modi multibit 2 also.
It's also surprising what it can do with 600 ohm headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 21, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #66 of 92
the Zahl HM1 with 1266TC and susvara

Apr 21, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #67 of 92
Apr 22, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #70 of 92
@George Hincapie The funny thing is that you can find a real joy and pleasure with just a fraction of this price when you listen to the music and not to your audio equipment :wink: Being said that I think it is time for some tube rolling...
what a bizarre comment.

Apr 22, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #71 of 92
what a bizarre comment.
I think I understand what he means. I didn't have my really first good component stereo system until 1972. I grew up in the early sixties through the late sixties when there were great bands releasing great albums listening to those albums on low-fi equipment loving the music. Of course after experiencing good stereo systems over the last 50 years I couldn't listen to and enjoy that equipment now. But then again maybe that's not what he means.

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #72 of 92
what a bizarre comment.
@DJJEZ , @ssmith3046 let me than explain my point of view and for that let me use audio example: Chord Mojo and Mojo 2 both gave me the same level of joy as Feliks Envy or Rockna WaveLight while costing the fraction of such setup. The key is synergy and great music. IMHO some of audio stuff is way overpriced considering both the build quality and SQ. I see nothing bizarre in my comment than. You either enjoy music or you enjoy audio equipment starting from certain price level. I enjoy music, and this has no direct correlation to price tag.

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #75 of 92
I think I understand what he means. ………… But then again maybe that's not what he means.
735E6FF5-3EB4-427A-B077-B41B395C6939.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back