What is Drum and Bass
Sep 17, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recorded a session of me mixing mid-90s jungle / d&b last week...

Right Click, Save

Let me know if you like it or not!

Omg, I got that cd 7 years ago from a friend, it's was first CD of dnb for me. And I'm still listening to that kind of music. But I think it was written Dj Wildchild on CD.

I'm now more into slow moods of dnb, like ltj Bukem & Conrad, Makoto, Big Bud and so on(these are good transparent recordings, great for headphones).

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_eat_bread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone suggest some key artists to check out for a dnb newbie?
smily_headphones1.gif

Difficult to recommend specific artists IMHO , as the whole drum and bass scene encompasses so many different varying styles ...ranging from chilled out stuff to the harder end of the spectrum , with plenty in between. Something like Pandora or Last.fm might well be a good place to start. That way you can get a feel for the differing styles/sub genres and check out any artists/labels that happen to really catch your ear.....

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 21
I'd start with Goldie, that's a nice intro to the genre. not too hard to listen to i find.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 21
My version:

In the beginning (late 1980s) there was acid house. (This is all in the UK BTW.) Acid house was like house (off-shoot of disco) crossed with electro (came out of hip hop) but more druggy. Then came rave, which was like acid house in a field, with more drugs and a more epic sound. Then drugs got speedier, and the music sped up and changed in several different directions. One of those directions was hardcore (which was originally quite different to Rotterdam-style gabber techno). Hardcore maximised use of sampled breakbeats (so stuff from this time or in this style can be called breakbeat hardcore), at the same time introducing elements from rap and particularly from dub (drugged-out reggae, often with MCing or "toasting" over the top). The most important element taken from dub was the massive bass line.

All these elements - breakbeats, basslines, techno and rap samples - were refined until they became an identifiable style on their own - at this point generally known as Jungle, after a kind of reggae identified with Jamaican tough guys known as junglists. At this point, as the technology advanced, breakbeats became much more highly edited and complex (check Goldie's 'Inner city life' for example). This complexity didn't last, but it helped clear the way for a complete break with 'naturalness'. Jungle was now more techno-influenced, and as the breakbeats began to be stepped back, we saw the rise of "two-step", so called because of its simplistic one-two beat. At this point the expression "Drum and Bass" became more popular than Jungle.

Most D'n'B is a variation on two-step, and to be honest I stopped listening at that point, so I can't really say if the style has ossified or continued to develop. I have noticed, strangely, that you can often hear D'n'B in TV advertisements, but it's still considered too weird for mainstream radio play.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by egidio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omg, I got that cd 7 years ago from a friend, it's was first CD of dnb for me. And I'm still listening to that kind of music. But I think it was written Dj Wildchild on CD.

I'm now more into slow moods of dnb, like ltj Bukem & Conrad, Makoto, Big Bud and so on(these are good transparent recordings, great for headphones).

Hi Egidio

This is ME mixing, not a copy of a CD
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #21 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back