What is Drum and Bass
Sep 16, 2007 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Chrispy

100+ Head-Fier
Whenever I hear this genre I think of Death From Above 1979 and Lightning Bolt, because both are bands consisting of only a drum player and a bass player. Somehow, I don't think this is right.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 21
From Wikipedia:

Drum and bass (commonly abbreviated to d&b, DnB, dnb, d'n'b, drum n bass and drum & bass) is a type of electronic dance music also known as jungle. Emerging in the early 1990s, the genre is characterised by fast tempo broken beat drums (generally between 160–180 beats per minute) with heavy, often intricate basslines. Today, drum and bass is still considered an underground musical style, but its currents of influence run throughout popular music and culture.

Drum and bass began as an offshoot of the United Kingdom breakbeat hardcore and rave scene of the late 1980s, and over the first decade of its existence there have been many permutations in its style, incorporating elements from ragga, dancehall, electro, funk, hip hop, house, jazz, heavy metal, reggae, rock, techno and trance.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 21
It's the most stripped-down, extreme form of techno. Nearly all of it is based on endless iterations of the "Amen" break, coupled with frenetic basslines and atmospheric synths/samples. The general feel has a tendency to be quite paranoid/forboding. At its best, it is transcendent. At its worst, it's generic.

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 21
I recorded a session of me mixing mid-90s jungle / d&b last week...

Right Click, Save

Let me know if you like it or not!

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the most stripped-down, extreme form of techno. Nearly all of it is based on endless iterations of the "Amen" break, coupled with frenetic basslines and atmospheric synths/samples. The general feel has a tendency to be quite paranoid/forboding. At its best, it is transcendent. At its worst, it's generic.

i would say that dubstep/grime is even more stripped down than D&B, and that breakcore/idm is far more extreme.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would say that dubstep/grime is even more stripped down than D&B, and that breakcore/idm is far more extreme.

O.K., fair enough! But for its time...??

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 21
for its time? yeah it was hella extreme, and pretty damned naughty sounding! i grew up in essex, the centre of Drum and Bass and Jungle, i used to go clubbing during the hight of the garage explosion! i mostly loved it for the chest thumping bass rhythms, and of course, the endless recycling of the amen break.

the S the U, the P the E the R, the S the H, the A the R the P......

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for its time? yeah it was hella extreme, and pretty damned naughty sounding! i grew up in essex, the centre of Drum and Bass and Jungle, i used to go clubbing during the hight of the garage explosion! i mostly loved it for the chest thumping bass rhythms, and of course, the endless recycling of the amen break.

the S the U, the P the E the R, the S the H, the A the R the P......

I am so screw**** jealous...

I was priveledged to see the Ramones in small venues, along with the Clash, Dead Boys, Husker Du and a few of the other pioneering punk/hardcore bands.

But I've always been a step behind when it comes to electronic music (although I did see both Kid 606 and Hrvatski at Tonic before the yuppies took over even that neighborhood...)

Anyway...wow. I'm not an old fart just yet (O.K., I'm not a fart, one out of two isn't bad), but you really thumped my imagination describing those club scenes.

Amen Brother!!!

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 21
Anyone listened to my mix yet?

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone listened to my mix yet?

downloading it now...

...ah, this brings me back, some classics here. good mix dude! thanks!

btw, dt770+D&B=Basshead heaven.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 21
Cheers, glad you like it!

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 21
D&B will bring out the darker side of your being...
evil_smiley.gif

For many in the underground, it's not just a type of electronica, it's a way of life. Taken very seriously, too seriously.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so screw**** jealous...

I was priveledged to see the Ramones in small venues, along with the Clash, Dead Boys, Husker Du and a few of the other pioneering punk/hardcore bands.

But I've always been a step behind when it comes to electronic music (although I did see both Kid 606 and Hrvatski at Tonic before the yuppies took over even that neighborhood...)

Anyway...wow. I'm not an old fart just yet (O.K., I'm not a fart, one out of two isn't bad), but you really thumped my imagination describing those club scenes.

Amen Brother!!!

A lot of similarities between the sheer energy of those punk/hardcore bands and some of the darker , heavier and more aggressive d n' b I reckon . (Check out anything on the Renegade hardware label for a good intro to some examples (they do some good compilations). I'm a bit of an old punk myself ...... and discovering some of the harder sounding material that this (sub)genre produces was just what the music doctor ordered. I think theres a lot for metal fans to love as well with some of the ultra-hard sounds.......highly recommended
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_eat_bread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone suggest some key artists to check out for a dnb newbie?
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out Hive and if you can find it, Dj. Drizzt.

Great streaming site is http://www.bassdrive.com

I wouldn't say Drizzt is a key artist, but he is very good nonetheless.

~Zip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back