What is driving the Little Dot phenomenon?
Sep 20, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #166 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG do you read what you write

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try a more complex line of reasoning for a change

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you been reading my posts or are you merely trying to negate what I say for argumentative purposes?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know the definition of an ad hominem attack?

all these post's imply that i'm stoopid.

i don't write little side (snippy) comments like these in my replies.

Quote:

If someone has 3000+ posts, mostly on one line of amps, and obviously, per the reports alone in this thread, has sent countless pms, all with the purpose of "enlightening" members about the Little Dots, and this someone has no experience with any other amps, this is a phenomenon that is worth looking into.

would you rather he start threads and write posts about amps and other gear that he has not heard or does not own. what should one write about then. also, i just scanned this thread. i don't see any references to "countless pms" or any unwanted or unsolicited pms for that matter. all the posts i saw said that penchum responded to "their" pms and emails. so i don't know where you are getting that information from. again, you and others seem to be attacking this member because he writes enthusiastically about a certain product, which you and others find to be not entirely worthy of such praise.

absent some evidence that this member is somehow being dishonest in his assessments and reviews of these amps - i.e., is merely writing them because he is compensated in some way or for some other dishonest reason -, i don't see how you or anyone else has a basis to accuse him of anything.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #167 of 351
I'm sorry, but calling you out for strawman arguments and for reading too shallowly to get what's going on is not an ad hominem attack.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #169 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I implied nothing of the sort. I asked if you knew the definition of an ad hominem attack because no one has attacked you. I also never said that the pms were unsolicited. I used the word "countless" because it means "can't be counted" and since we don't know how many pms, we can't count them.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #170 of 351
Quote:

would you rather he start threads and write posts about amps and other gear that he has not heard or does not own. what should one write about then. also, i just scanned this thread. i don't see any references to "countless pms" or any unwanted or unsolicited pms for that matter. all the posts i saw said that penchum responded to "their" pms and emails. so i don't know where you are getting that information from. again, you and others seem to be attacking this member because he writes enthusiastically about a certain product, which you and others find to be not entirely worthy of such praise.

absent some evidence that this member is somehow being dishonest in his assessments and reviews of these amps - i.e., is merely writing them because he is compensated in some way or for some other dishonest reason -, i don't see how you or anyone else has a basis to accuse him of anything.

I cant take it, so tell us, after reviewing all of his amps what were the other 3000 posts for???

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #171 of 351
Quote:

actually they do not, I know you are not stupid, heck you passed the bar exam. I do think though that someone with your time in the community could add a bit more meaty input. You have had a ton of great gear and most likely have some more experience to share.

The do you read what you write comment was directed at the fact that you stated our posts were off topic. I was pointing out the title of the thread, yes I was frustrated with you at the time.

The more complex line of reasoning comment was in response to this comment from your post

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda
so who is to decide which amps are worthy of praise and which are not - you, i suppose.

I never once asserted that I was the arbiter of all things good in amps. Also I'd call it a snippy comment so you may not be right when you say you don't make them
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #172 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because my agenda is to help people make better decisions based on experience, and help build community. I'm trying to keep head-fi from becoming overwhelmed with street teams and fanboys and alternative marketting. I'm trying to keep head-fi a place where people can make connections with other people, and where real knowledge is exchanged. I'm trying to help make this place what it's capable of being. I do so at a fairly high cost to myself, in both time and treasure. I do so even tho I'm not looking to get new gear or sell anything to anyone. I've run 2 regional meets and try to help make things better.

My agenda isn't to sell cheap chinese amps so I can get attention or free gear.

Delusions of grandeur on isle 4.......

help people make better decisions based on experience - right that's good.

help build community - Um this is a audio forum not a constituency.

I'm trying to keep head-fi from becoming overwhelmed with street teams and fanboys and alternative marketting. - I don't see any of that going on at all. see post tittle....

I'm trying to keep head-fi a place where people can make connections with other people - You really mean... connections to those you deem worthy ?

where real knowledge is exchanged - what other kind of knowledge IS being exchanged ? Your full of beans Bub.

make this place what it's capable of being - I don't see how that's possible since what you may want, others may not....

I do so at a fairly high cost to myself, in both time and treasure. I do so even tho I'm not looking to get new gear or sell anything to anyone. I've run 2 regional meets and try to help make things better. -

Good for you, no really, that's great....that still doesn't give you the right to do anything other than contribute positively to Head Fi in my book. Leave the politics at home.

Seems to me you've self appointed yourself the guardian of Head Fi, declared an irrational and highly offensive agenda in the previous post and are now back pedaling like crazy to save face....only the cat is out of the bag and that's no longer possible.

Peete.

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #173 of 351
It may be an audio forum to you. To a lot of us, it's more than that.

As to what you think of me or my agenda, think what you'd like. Since it's you I'm trying to save this place from, I'm not surprised you're offended.

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #174 of 351
LMAO

Unreal......

Peete.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #176 of 351
Pricklely Peete, since you joined in Feb '08, it's conceivable that you do not have the same sense of community as those, like grawk, who have been here for years. What do you know of grawk's contributions, dedication, and efforts? From your post, I gather you know nothing at all. How then did you decide it was a good idea to spout out that trash? Did you think it would make you look good? It doesn't. It shows only ignorance. I, too, want to keep this site free from garbage posting, whether it be shilling, people talking about gear they haven't heard as if they had, or posting irresponsibly or stupidly as you just did. It is about valuing the community as friends, and not wanting to see the forums filled up with posts that provide nothing but shilling, hype, misinformation or stupidity. If you don't see the value in that, I'm afraid to imagine what else you can't or refuse to see.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #177 of 351
I disagree completely. Please cut out the condescending tone...

I think your dead wrong. I shouldn't be marginalized or threatened because of that view. Your entitled to your position, as is Grawk. I don't want shilling or any other form of BS in here, but I also don't want knee jerk reactionaries digging up skeletons where there aren't any either. To go from one extreme to the other serves no valuable purpose ........In the end it divides rather than brings people together. I would think you'd be a little more sensitive to this type of thing if you truly did care about community. I see nothing but hurt feelings, bruised egos and litany of other thinly veiled underhanded tactics...

What good did Grawk hope to accomplish by hi-jacking this thread with the "shilling" comment. ? Sense of community ? This doesn't help anyone on this board now does it ?

What about trampling all over the forum rules by hi-jacking this thread and then to top if off, start this whole pissing match over one poor bugger who must be horrified by the so called Adults in this thread ? Are you completely bereft of any compassion ? Any of you ?

Go have a good long look in the mirror......

I think all of us should be a little ashamed of ourselves for this pointless diatribe......

I apologize to Grawk for getting personal...normally I stay away from such things....

Peete.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #178 of 351
Quote:

Pricklely Peete, since you joined in Feb '08, it's conceivable that you do not have the same sense of community as those, like grawk, who have been here for years. What do you know of grawk's contributions, dedication, and efforts? From your post, I gather you know nothing at all. How then did you decide it was a good idea to spout out that trash? Did you think it would make you look good? It doesn't. It shows only ignorance. I, too, want to keep this site free from garbage posting, whether it be shilling, people talking about gear they haven't heard as if they had, or posting irresponsibly or stupidly as you just did. It is about valuing the community as friends, and not wanting to see the forums filled up with posts that provide nothing but shilling, hype, misinformation or stupidity. If you don't see the value in that, I'm afraid to imagine what else you can't or refuse to see.

I'd need a clapping hands smiley to fully express my agreement. I'm pretty new to Head-fi, but I'm belonging to other online communities for almost one decade, where the goals are pretty much the same, meeting people with common interests and keeping the sites clean, informative and useful. Places where sometimes you meet long term friends, places where you you can learn from really knowledgeable people and where with some time, you also can be helpful to others.
Lately it seems that that is harder and harder for the huge amount of people with hidden agendas, and mostly with a deep ignorance which is not going together with an interest to learn, but the moronity to pretend that some little knowledge is more than enough to speak about everything and argue, no matter how knowledgeable is your interlocutor. This is not just a Head-fi's plague, unfortunately this is happening everywhere and unless very serious moderation effort is applied, this trend ends up killing sites. I've seen the death of a few ones for this reason.

I can't speak of Little Dot and its fan boys since I've never owned or listened to any LD product. However I've been into this hobby long enough (about 30 years) to know with some certainty that nobody sells quarters for dimes, and what to expect from many chinese products that have arrived to the western countries in the last 5 years. In the least I'd be very sceptic about the experience and true knowledge of someone raving such products.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #180 of 351
There are two things about the whole "keeping the board clean" argument that falls flat for me.

1. Where else are reviews of amps supposed to go?
2. If Penchum is inevitably exposed as some sort of shill, be it paid or otherwise, he will disappear.

I have never read a thread on this board that wasn't somewhat serious. Everyone is looking to better their audio experience and we are all serious about it. There have been more than a few direct comparison threads between Little Dot amps and Darkvoice amps and they have all come out pretty even. And since DV amps have been compared to almost everything I think that bodes well for LD. The overall serious nature of this board would ensure that a "shill" would eventually disappear.

Maybe my perspective is somewhat skewed. I have been a speaker rig type of guy and I only just got into headphones and headphone amps last December. My rig is basically just a computer/ work rig so I don't have a souped up home headphone rig to compare it to.

What I can compare it to is my experience with high end speaker set ups. Both owned by others and my previous rig I sold. For the $200 I spent of the MKIII plus the $200 I spent on whichever headphone I happen to put on I am getting relatively close to what I hear from $20k home speaker rigs. The detail is not as good, the bass is not as deep etc but for $400 versus $20K I don't know what else to expect. I certainly feel like I am not missing a ton by listening to my headphone rig over any speaker rig I have heard. Thats the way it should be though. You shouldn't have to spend $20K on a headphone rig to equal the sound from a equally priced speaker rig. That wouldn't make any sense.

Which brings me back to my original point: If the LD phenomenon owes its entire existence to Penchum and LD fanboy newbies then it would have been debunked by now by people who have actually heard better stuff. That hasn't happened. Find me an amp for $200 that blows my LDMKIII out of the water and I will let you have it.

Now we have folks saying "I bet I could pick my amp out in a blind test with a LD" Well unless your amp cost the same or less than the comparison LD I would hope that you could. If you have some souped up DIY or $700+ amp I should very much hope that you could. OTW I am wasting my time saving up for my next amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back