What is currently the best gym IEM for +/- $30 ?
Jun 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

luciobar1980

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I kjnow there are other thread but they are either a little older or not quite what I prefer. Your opinion is much appreciated. I am looking for:

- Shirt clip (semi-important)
- good isolation
- long enough cord so it can be put in my pocket
- NOT behind-the-ear (tried the M6 and they would not stay sealed in my ear canal while working out)

Microphonics are not that important as I wear the cord on the inside of my shirt. So basically, with the criteria above, what is the best sounding IEM in your opinion for around $30?

Thanks guys!

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 12
The ECCI PR100 or the ViSang R01 (if you can find it). Both come with shirt clips and isolate pretty well. Cables are the standard 4.2ft. Great sound right there at the $30 mark.

But if you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with the PL21s? 

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 12
I have the MP21's (PL21s with mic and clip) and I'm sold. I think they'd be great for the gym. Caveat - only Sony Hybrid tips seemed to do the job.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 12
I actually love the pl21's, but I normally leave them at work so that I don't have to go back and forth with them. I'm actually considering just ordering another pair, but wanted to get some other options. you know how it is.. I like the pl21's but I wouldn't mind somethin new/different! :wink:

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm not sure by "behind the ear" you mean clip on style, or over ear cabling?

One way of the other, if you already like SoundMAGICs then I'd recommend the PL30 with some T-400 Comply tips.  This will isolate very well and stay very secure in the ear.  We regularly recommend the PL30 for use in the gym for these reasons - they are best gym earphones from the SoundMAGIC range in my opinion.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 12
PL30 may not be best if you are looking for a bassy option. There is microphonics if not worn over the ear, but if worn over the ear they are fairly comfortable. The cable is only 1 meter long which is shorter than most other options.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 12
I just bought a pair of Sennheiser CX-250's for use at the gym.  To my ear, they are like a more refined version of the CX-300's which I used at the gym and during commute daily.  While I'm still burning them in, I should note that I wasn't looking for accurate buds to use at the gym, just something decent that I could easily replace if damaged for a low price, which, at around $25 shipped (in the US) from Amazon, I found exactly what I was looking for.  Personally, I enjoy the sound of these buds before they've even burned in.  If I want accurate and detailed sound, I have a setup at home that more than satisfies that need.

As far as microphonics go, the Sennheiser CX series is a bit notorious in that respect.  I wear my cables under my shirt as you mentioned you intend to do and they don't bother me much.  Along the lines of isolation, I can't speak from experience (haven't listened to too many different IEMs), but with my music at a reasonable volume and using the stock tips on my Sennheiser CX-250's, my gym's speaker and PA system is almost completely hidden and any nearby conversations, at least three-to-five feet away, are almost inaudible--of course, your mileage (and expectations for isolation) many vary.

The only thing that stops me from recommending these outright is the fact that you mentioned that you intend to connect them to your MP3 player in your pocket.  If you're a taller sort of person, I'm concerned that the cable might be a bit tight.  I don't run into any issues in this area because I wear my Sansa Clip+ on an armband.

I hope this was of some help to you.

Edit: The Sennheiser CX-250's do have an inline volume adjuster, unlike their older sibling, the CX-300's.  Personally, this was my least desirable feature to these when I was researching them before ordering.  Once I got the buds, I just taped the volume adjuster so that it wouldn't move.  I intend to glue it in the near future.  I hate needless moving parts on my audio gear.  Just thought I'd mention this.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Hey guys, I kjnow there are other thread but they are either a little older or not quite what I prefer. Your opinion is much appreciated. I am looking for:

- Shirt clip (semi-important)
- good isolation
- long enough cord so it can be put in my pocket
- NOT behind-the-ear (tried the M6 and they would not stay sealed in my ear canal while working out)

Microphonics are not that important as I wear the cord on the inside of my shirt. So basically, with the criteria above, what is the best sounding IEM in your opinion for around $30?

Thanks guys!

Your M6's came out?  Did you use the Triple Flanges?  They seem to get pretty locked in.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 12
I can't imagine the M6's coming out. I could do gymnastics in those things. Everyone's ear shape differs of course.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 12
Yeah, I did try the triflanges and they stayed in, but absolutely itched like HELL in my ear! I dunno what it is, the deep insertion I think just doesn't work with me, I had the same problem with my er6i's.  Thanks for the help guys!!

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 12
I think the Soundmagic PL11 will do great, they can be had for $20 or less. They have a great accessory pack as well, includes a shirt clip and foam tips (very close in quality to the Shure olive foam tips) for better fit and isolation As crazy as it sounds, I prefer their sound over the Senn CX300.

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
PL30 may not be best if you are looking for a bassy option.

Without doubt the PL11 is more bassy than the PL30, but neither are lacking bass.  The PL11 has rich, powerful bass response, whereas the PL30 is better balanced and well defined bass.  The PL30 has more of a lower midrange hump in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back