what is current best portable source under 500 and under 200?
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

qohelet

Head-Fier
I've searched this forum about this and found only quite a few very old threads.

any suggestion guys? Planning to buy one in the next few weeks.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 22
Under $200? Sansa Clip+, Clip Zip, and Fuze.

Under $500? Sansa Clip+, Clip Zip, Fuze, Cowon J3, Zune HD

Speaking from experience.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 22
I need a good portable player too my creative x-fi style sucks balls volume is too low without a amp and my Fiio E5 is not working on both sides anymore just 1 side so i need or a portable amp or a good player without a amp does the sansa vuze need a amp for volume and/or bass the cowon J3 is a little too expensive and i need something fast cause cannot stand low volume when i want to throw it up arggghhhh.....

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
I need a good portable player too my creative x-fi style sucks balls volume is too low without a amp and my Fiio E5 is not working on both sides anymore just 1 side so i need or a portable amp or a good player without a amp does the sansa vuze need a amp for volume and/or bass the cowon J3 is a little too expensive and i need something fast cause cannot stand low volume when i want to throw it up arggghhhh.....

My experience with the Fuze is without an amp so I would say it's more than loud enough. Could probably vary with headphones used, though.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 22
I'll put another vote in for the Sansa Clip+ I own one and it's fantastic for the price. Save some money and check it out before a major purchase. Plus you can bypass the volume cap on a Clip+ by changing the region to "rest of the world" under settings. Clip+ doesn't get mentioned here repeatedly for nothing. Zips good too. Same sound / bigger colour screen. 

This seller is doing refurbs on ebay at a great price. (where I bought mine)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250947319297?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 22
While I have yet to hear one, I would think it's hard to argue that the iPod Video with diyMod (especially if the caps are inside the enclosure) would be one of the best portable sources One should be able to acquire with about $500. Modifications done yourself would make it in the $300 starting from the point of not having the device. Getting someone to do it for you would bring it to close to $500. This obviously depends on if you upgrade the HDD in the process. That might bring the price up significantly higher. 

Other than that, the Rocoo P or Rocoo BA, or Studio V may be good options as well. Rocoo P being under $200, the others being more than $200 but under $500. The Cowon Z2 may also be a likely well performing offering from Cowon that will run around $300 and should be coming out (if not already out) soon. (It's out in Korea, and I believe coming out early May in the US)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back