What is considered "lossless" music
Mar 31, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by boead
There are plenty of people that can tell the difference between a maximum quality MP3 and a WAV. Yes, the differences are subtle but they are apparent if you have revealing equipment and good hearing.

Just be glad you don't have to prove that statement here with ABX tests like you would on HydrogenAudio (what a pain in the arse that board is
rolleyes.gif
).

Mar 31, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Just be glad you don't have to prove that statement here with ABX tests like you would on HydrogenAudio (what a pain in the arse that board is
rolleyes.gif
).

ABX is a load of crap!

Its like; ok listen to this (seconds later) ok now listen to this (seconds later) now tell me which was which! (seconds later) Can’t tell? See, no difference! FOOL!

And if you do anything else, like actually listen to the song for a while, let it mentally record in your head, get use to your surroundings and so on, it immediately becomes contaminated and considered audio psychosis!

Stay away from the asses that support ABX! Let them listen to kite string and lamp cord, if it makes them happy, so be it. What I cant’ stand is that they NEED to prove to everyone (most themselves) that they are right instead of just enjoying what they have. My guess is that most of them have small penises and feel the need to… I’ve said enough.

Mar 31, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

ABX is a load of crap!
Its like; ok listen to this (seconds later) ok now listen to this (seconds later) now tell me which was which! (seconds later) Can’t tell? See, no difference! FOOL!

ABX used to test various lossless files is pretty useless, but its more to see if you can differentiate bitrates and various lossy formats.

Rip a song in several bitrates and see which is the lowest you find to be the most acceptable. Rip it in ogg, mp3, AAC or whatever other codecs you like and ABX them.

ABX is a space-saving tool.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #34 of 76
like many people said before, .wav is what you start off with, any compression algorithm that retains 100% information is considered lossless compression. There are several compressions that can achieve more than 320kbps but they are not lossless.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #35 of 76
Does Flac use a kind of VBR? In Foobar my Flac albums can be 55-75% compressed and the bitrate of each song can vary greatly.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Does Flac use a kind of VBR? In Foobar my Flac albums can be 55-75% compressed and the bitrate of each song can vary greatly.

VBR is not really an operative concept with lossless compressors. The idea of CBR or VBR is that you pick a target bitrate and throw away as much information as you have to to get the file down to that bitrate. With CBR, the instantaneous bitrate can never exceed the target; with VBR, the average bitrate over the entire file is limited to the target, but at any given moment the compressor may be using more or fewer bits according to what's needed at that particular moment.

With lossless, each frame or block is compressed as much as it can be without throwing away data, and however much space it takes, that's how much it takes. (The various compression levels of FLAC determine how large a space of possible solutions is searched to find the best compression approach for each block -- the more time the compressor spends looking, the likelier it is to find a more efficient coding for the block in question.) So the instantaneous bitrate of lossless compression will always be variable (unless your source material is silence, or a constant tone), because the maximum compressibility of each block depends on what's going on with the music at that particular moment.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #38 of 76
<shatner>Too...many...posts! Curse...you...forum...server!</shatner>

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

And if you do anything else, like actually listen to the song for a while, let it mentally record in your head, get use to your surroundings and so on, it immediately becomes contaminated and considered audio psychosis!

If you use an ABX program like Foobar's ABX comparator, you can listen to the music however you like. You can listen to a part of A and then switch instantaneously to B. You can listen to the entire song. You can set beginning and ending points of a clip, and listen to that clip over and over. So there is no "seconds later," and if you want to listen to the song for a while, you can do that too.

There are some very real practical problems using ABX to compare headphones, or cables. But comparing codecs is easily accomplished with a good ABX program.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

If you use an ABX program like Foobar's ABX comparator, you can listen to the music however you like. You can listen to a part of A and then switch instantaneously to B. You can listen to the entire song. You can set beginning and ending points of a clip, and listen to that clip over and over. So there is no "seconds later," and if you want to listen to the song for a while, you can do that too.

There are some very real practical problems using ABX to compare headphones, or cables. But comparing codecs is easily accomplished with a good ABX program.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back