what is Burning in ?
Sep 3, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 26
Okay, this is little off topic, but I have a question. Is it okay to leave your headphones plugged into the headphone jack at all times? I usually plug my headphones into my laptop's headphone jack and leave my laptop on all the time. Is this okay? I don't play music when I'm away from the computer.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has burn-in ever been tested? With blind tests or measuring instruments?

I dont know really :p but there is nothing called measuring instrument in burning in process

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadaiyappan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, this is little off topic, but I have a question. Is it okay to leave your headphones plugged into the headphone jack at all times? I usually plug my headphones into my laptop's headphone jack and leave my laptop on all the time. Is this okay? I don't play music when I'm away from the computer.

I guess there is no problem .. But ask someone who is have experience more than me
o2smile.gif
but I do plug my headphone all the time into my ipod nano .. I cant see any problems till now
icon10.gif

In My Opinion there is no problem leaving it plugged in .. But ask More better
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadaiyappan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perfectly fine. If there is nothing playing your headphones aren't even under current.

Playing them slightly louder than listening volume for extended periods won't damage them either. That's usually how I burn in dynamic headphones.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #24 of 26
I think this section of the previously linked Wikipedia article really sums it up for mine:

For electronic components, burn-in is frequently conducted at elevated temperature and perhaps elevated voltage. This process may also be called heat soaking. The components may be under continuous test or simply tested at the end of the burn-in period.

There is another use of the term by some audiophiles, who leave new audio equipment turned on for multiple days or weeks, to get the components to achieve optimal performance. However, many debates arise about the beneficial effects of this practice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The focus of that article is more on 'stress testing' than the process we refer to as 'burn-in' : I only own one pair of cans which I wasnt able to 'burn-in' on my head - anyone guess which cans those might have been ?

(PS I also own 3 IEMs, including the RE0, and they didnt need any form of burn-in).

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #25 of 26
One of the biggest burn in animals is the IE8. Of course it's a dynamic driver earphone, and it went through big changes up through about 200 hours for me. Some owners didn't even listen to them much at all until several hundred hours had accumulated with continuous overnight playback/pink noise.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the biggest burn in animals is the IE8. Of course it's a dynamic driver earphone, and it went through big changes up through about 200 hours for me. Some owners didn't even listen to them much at all until several hundred hours had accumulated with continuous overnight playback/pink noise.

Well personally I think that's nonsense. I have a pair and they sounded great once I found the right tip from the selection in the package. I have noticed no burn-in whatsoever. They sound just the same to me now as they did on the first day, and that same is best described as "great".

Furthermore, although it doesn't seem to be polite to say it on this forum, there is no engineering or scientific reason why burn in should occur beyond the first few seconds of each individual use.

And as well as their being no reason to expect it, there is no actual evidence that it occurs, beyond the typical anecdotes you'll find on this forum. And anecdotes aren't evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back