what is Burning in ?
Sep 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ARSENAL FOREVER

New Head-Fier
[size=small]I hear almost all the people tell that they are burning their earphones .. but I dont understand what they mean by burning in :S can anyone explain to me what is the meaning of burning in the earphone ?[/size]

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 26
To summarize - there are two camps:

The first camp believes that "burn in" is a myth or at least that there is no real evidence in support of it. This faction maintains that, in essence, you are subjectively acclimating to the sound of your gear, generally appreciating it more over time.

The second, and probably more popular camp (as least among those who post regularly on head-fi), believes that akin to the degradation of the foam suspension around a loud speaker over time (or a new pair of shoes), your headphones physically break-in, and that the sound changes (hopefully for the better), for the first couple of hundred hours after you take them out of the box.

Trusting in the general objectivity of my senses (perhaps a foolish belief - but if you read enough Hume, Reid, and Wittgenstein, you may conclude there is little alternative), I lean towards the latter group, although I can appreciate the reasoning of the burn-in deniers.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 26
It's something most IEMs don't need.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ARSENAL FOREVER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think that the Denon AH-C710 need burn in ??

I couldn't find what kind of drivers it uses, but if they're balanced armature drivers then it won't need burn-in. Only dynamic drivers might need burn-in, as what happens during the burn-in period is that the membranes get looser and get their more or less definite characteristics (and thus sound signature). Balanced armature drivers have no membranes and thus do not need any burn-in.

(Was that a clear explanation at all?)

EDIT: I just read here that the AH-C710 uses dynamic drivers, so yes, it might very well benefit from burn-in.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't find what kind of drivers it uses, but if they're balanced armature drivers then it won't need burn-in. Only dynamic drivers might need burn-in, as what happens during the burn-in period is that the membranes get looser and get their more or less definite characteristics (and thus sound signature). Balanced armature drivers have no membranes and thus do not need any burn-in.

(Was that a clear explanation at all?)

EDIT: I just read here that the AH-C710 uses dynamic drivers, so yes, it might very well benefit from burn-in.

ok now u mean that they need burn in .. rite ?? how can I burn them ?

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 26
Headphone 'Burn In' FAQ <- all you'd ever need to know about burn-in

The C710s are dynamic so they *could* potentially benefit from burn in if you are a believer.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 26
You could do a test with some balanced armature earphones and you would still get people insisting that they experienced burn-in, and they would insist that the earphones, and not their ears and brain, changed. It is a strange psychological phenomenon that people have a resistance to believing that their perception can change.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 26
True. That's why I decided to not bother with burning in my ATH-A900Ti when I got it about six months ago. I just started listening to it out of the box. Didn't pay any notice to any possible burn-in effects. There wasn't any need for it, too, as it sounded fabulous from the start. That might of course be because my hearing was already adapted to my ATH-AD900's sound, which is certainly not the same, but at least somewhat similar.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 26
See, one thing i've never understood, is that i can observe difference in cables, and iems with balanced armatures after several hours of use.
but there is no explanation why.

Nor is there explanation why an amp should sound better after use. but many insist they do...

only thing i know get broken in, are dynamic drivers. because the membrane needs use to reach it's optimal elastic state.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 26
I owned the 710s and out of the box, the treble made my ears almost bleed. 100 hours on my PC (with music playing) and the treble was fine, and the bass toned down as well. No acclimation, since I only listened for 10 minutes and waited thos 100 hours to listen again. They are dynamic driver phones and they do need burning. BAs, a different animal. Those, I usually like fine out of the box. Just the way it is, no way around it. Happens time and time again with dynamic IEMs.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the 710s and out of the box, the treble made my ears almost bleed. 100 hours on my PC (with music playing) and the treble was fine, and the bass toned down as well. No acclimation, since I only listened for 10 minutes and waited thos 100 hours to listen again. They are dynamic driver phones and they do need burning. BAs, a different animal. Those, I usually like fine out of the box. Just the way it is, no way around it. Happens time and time again with dynamic IEMs.

How often, with those dynamic IEMs, have you found that the sound got worse after the burn-in period?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back