What is Best for Sennheiser HD598?
Mar 24, 2012 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ferrarious

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am using my HD598 with my PC for games, movies and music and I am looking to upgrade the sound expirience.

I have now my on board sound card.

What will be best to buy a quallaty sound card like Asus Xonar Essence STX or something similar or to buy E17 or some other DAC/DAC+AMP

From what I understand the surround features and dolby I will get only with the sound card and the better music qaulaty with DAC/DAC+AMP?

What do you recommend?

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 6
An external DAC is not necessarily better (in fact, the STX has a very good DAC), but may have an amplifier that is better suited for your particular headphones. However, the STX should be OK in that respect as well. You may want to avoid the lower Xonars (with the possible exception of the DG), unless you like boomy bass.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 6
The Asus Xonar Essence STX ($180) would work great with the Senn HD598.
But you could do decently well with the Xonar DG, $27 with $10 mail in rebate = $17.
I'm guessing there will at least a few new sound cards coming out this year, so you could just use the DG for now.

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
The Asus Xonar Essence STX ($180) would work great with the Senn HD598.
But you could do decently well with the Xonar DG, $27 with $10 mail in rebate = $17.
I'm guessing there will at least a few new sound cards coming out this year, so you could just use the DG for now.

Is there a link to rumor site or something about future sound cards?

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Is there a link to rumor site or something about future sound cards?

The only new sound card in the news is the Asus Phoebus, it's looks like a gaming card, I'm guessing it will come out in a few months.
C-Media's newest audio processor the CMI8888 (used on Phoebus) should be showing up on other sound cards.
And I'm sure other companies are working on new sound cards using Creative's audio processors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back