What is "Acid Jazz"?
Aug 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm curious too. If it's anything like I picture in my mind (jazz with the craziness of acid rock) I think it would be interesting.

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 21
Taken from All Music

Quote:

The music played by a generation raised on jazz as well as funk and hip-hop, Acid Jazz used elements of all three. Its existence as a percussion-heavy, primarily live music placed it closer to jazz and Afro-Cuban than any other dance style, but its insistence on keeping the groove allied it with funk, hip-hop, and dance music.

I think Cinematic orchestra is a good example of acid jazz.

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 21
Rare groove classic soul, disco and jazz influenced artists from the uk.

Biggest breakout artists would be US3, Jamaraquoi, Incognito & Ronnie Jordan. Its was a pretty big umbrella that encompassed allot of fairly diverse groups and sounds.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 21
G. Love & Special Sauce

Soul Coughing

At least, that's what I think of as Acid Jazz... plus anything that has hip-hop beats with jazz soloing over it. It was very popular in the early-to-mid 90's. Then Jungle came along and people kind of forgot about Acid Jazz..

-jar

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 21
The easiest term would be groovy jazz. Sort of electronica+jazz. They utilize drum & base for the main part. Incognito is very well known in this genre and so is Nicola Conte. Also, check out Gerardo Frisina. Very good for chill-out times.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 21
i read a long time ago that "acid jazz is funky jazz music you can dance to", so i've been saying that to people ever since haha.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by organicabstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i read a long time ago that "acid jazz is funky jazz music you can dance to", so i've been saying that to people ever since haha.

Which is true. It won't make you jump up and down, but it will definitely put you on a groove.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 21
would Herbie Hancock's "Watermellon Man " count?

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would Herbie Hancock's "Watermellon Man " count?

Not the early acoustic version. Maybe the one on Headhunters. Acid jazz usually has some electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back