What is a very good Sennheiser HD800 cable? I can pay $500+
Oct 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

dudefromearth

Head-Fier
I am looking for a top of the range Sennheiser HD800 cable. I spent a lot less than I though I would on a DAC and can afford a splurge.

Recommendations anyone?
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 36
What amp are you using? I've found the HD-800 to respond strongly to amp upgrades.

If I had a spare $500 around, I'd make sure I was using the best amp I could afford.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 36
You should list your gear so we can see if it is your cable that needs upgrading. I have some suggestions in mind, but they'll be wasted without a good DAC, transport and amp.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 36

Quote:
What amp are you using? I've found the HD-800 to respond strongly to amp upgrades.

If I had a spare $500 around, I'd make sure I was using the best amp I could afford.

Quote:
You should list your gear so we can see if it is your cable that needs upgrading. I have some suggestions in mind, but they'll be wasted without a good DAC, transport and amp.

Very wise words guys!

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 36
I think what we need to know is why you are looking to swap cables; is it aesthetics/convenience (really, some people do it for this reason only; I'm thinking of doing it for LCD-2 myself cuz of the damn cable is so bulky and stiff) or for sonic purposes?  If the latter, all the usual cable controversy aside, what is it with the sound exactly that you are not happy with in your current setup? (which is already quite decent)

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 36
The itch.. might be suppressed for a while with a Class A bias mod -> https://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 36
Using an amplifier with vacuum tubes. Speaking with no figures to back me up, my observation is that most HD-800 owners run them off tube amps. To my ears, tubes are generally a better match than a solid state amp. Rather than spending $500 on a cable, you might be better off selling your amp and putting that together with the $500 for a tube amp.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 36
Your equipment is decent, though I agree with UE's suggestion.

Anyways, I still think you can extract some benefit from an aftermarket cable.

If you want the sound to be smoother and warmer (but a bit slower and less transparent/revealing), then go for any good quality copper cable. There are many makers to choose from. Cardas, Double Helix Cables, ALO, Jena, Moon Audio, just to name a few. This is the cheapest option.

If you want to retain the same general sound signature of the stock cable but enhance resolution and speed, get the APuresound V3 (Silver-plated copper). This is the second cheapest option.

If you want the most transparent/revealing and fastest cable, get good quality silver. Moon Audio uses 6N purity silver for their Silver Dragon Version 3 (not version 2). Double Helix Cables uses 7N (higher) purity silver for their own silver cable, though it's more expensive. IME, the sound of silver will be more dependent on your system than other cable materials, but will also yield the greatest improvements if the ancillaries are of high-quality. Silver is also the most expensive option.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 36
I would e-mail Ken at ALO audio, let him know your budget, and see what he can do for you.  With $500.00 I imagine a good little bit.  Enjoy the 800s.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 36
on a better amp i suggest or something else to spend your 500 bucks. most cables even cheap cables uses copper wiring which is a great conductor and transfers electrical current without much or very very little loss in signal. silver is better but cost more but IMO cables are only meant to transfer electrical signals and has no effect on sonic characters. i say spend it on something else.

500 bucks for cables is ridiculous if you ask me.

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 36
you are correct. sorry for my long dragged comment/opinion then. i tend to blab on. op i don't know anything about headphone cable companies. never used'em.  

Quote:
The OP did not ask if we thought investing in cables was a good idea, or if we liked the idea.  Just saying. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back