What is a standard CKKIII comparable to?
Jan 19, 2010 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

earthpeople

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a question, listed in the title. What is a standard CKKIII (as in made from pretty standard parts, nothing special, extra expensive or otherwise exotic) comparable to as far as other full size amps? If it costs about $200-$250 to build, is it still worth it to build it (other than for personal satisfaction) or purchase a different amp?

I'm strongly considering building one when funds permit, but I just want to make sure it's worth the money and time first. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah... you'll toss the CanAmp after hearing the CK2.
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 10
I had a chance to A/B the CK2III and the PPA and preferred the PPA by a little bit (I should mention the PPA had OPA627 installed). The bass was a bit tighter and the detail was better with the PPA while the CK2III had the smoother midrange. I am not a DIYer so I don't really know what the difference in parts costs are, but regardless, both have great synergy with Senns, you won't be disappointed!

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 10
From everything I've done, DIY is almost always good value, at least the often=talked about ones are often talked about for a reason. I prefer a $150 SSMH to Gilmore Lites and the like.

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 10
It's a good value, but only if you're patient, meticulous and willing to troubleshoot.

In my younger days I planned to build a 300B, then nuked $200 in NoS parts (rectifier, transformer and couple caps) the first time I tested the supply. Had to eat PB&J for a month and got nothing out of it but some ozone and a sad story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back