What is a good portable amp/dac for JH16 Pros?
Jun 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jasonxff

Head-Fier
Hi all Head-Fiers,

My name is Jason and i just joined in a few days ago,i just ordered my jh 16 pro as well. I was wondering if anyone knows any good amp for jh 16 pro? Right now i am considering the jh3a against other amps and having a hard time deciding,Can anyone please help or advise me? Initially i got a some advice from customnuts and he told me to look into the c&c bh and the jds labs c5 / O2 as to bang for buck factor, i did some reserch myself and found out the rsa protector and practical devices xm6 to be very intriguing.  But i was hoping to get best performance and sound quality out of the jh16 pro and found out some people do say that the jh3a is the best for jh16 pro,the only factor that is still drawing  me back is the the jh3a ONLY WORKS with the jh16 pro. Please HELP.....

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi Jason, here is my experience with JH16 PRO's "my daily IEM for the past two years", they are very easy to drive. I hear that the newly designed JH16's are a bit harder to drive, but no by much. At home I use a Burson HA-160 AMP and they sound SUBLIME :) , on the go I use them with my iBasso D6/iPod Touch/CypherLabs AlgorthymSolo combination and they sound FANTASTIC :) , I also use them with my Galaxy S3 "most of the time", and they still sound great :) , like I said earlier, they don't need much juice to be driven. Now like I said, the more power you give them the better they sound, more open and more depth. The question is what is your source gear, and what is your budget, because this hoby will burn a whole in your bank account:D

In the near future, if finances permit, I might go for this V-Moda Vamp Versa http://www.head-fi.org/t/655315/v-moda-vamp-verza-metallo-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-crowdsourcing-ideas , which I can hook up with my Android phone and have a LOD connection. If you are looking for something that will do both Apple and Android LOD, than this is the way to go, especially for portable gear.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the post,so do mean the JH16 Pro can be amped by most of the amps available in the market now? My source is a Sony Walkman,i am willing to spend is the product is really worth the price. I rarely use my android for music,does the iBasso d6 have bass boost? i I was looking for a amp/dac combo,he combo u said might be little large me. What are your opinion about the JH3A,XM6 and Fiio E17? Would the xm6 or E17 be a candidate?

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 12
The D6 has a gain switch, no base boost, but it is one little powerhouse at 650mWx2, if you need more info just go to their www.ibasso.com , or shoot them an email with your concerns, the D6 also drives my AKG 702 cans with ease, in regards to the JH3A it is a fantastic AMP "specifically made to be used with the JH Audio IEM's like the JH13'S or JH16's " I myself am not to crazy about proprietary AMP/DAC configurations" I want to be able to use my custom IEM's with any AMP/DAC out on the market today, but that's just me. In regards to the other amps/dac's you mentioned, I can not comment since I never listened to them.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 12
You'd have to buy the JH3A as a unit..Jerry insists you can't have a JH16 and then get the amp for it later..I'm happy with my Headstage Arrow I have a 3G, only thing is Robert makes a good amp, but his customer service is pretty horrible..there are a few reviews of portable amps out do some research go after the one that has the sound signature you're looking for..

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I like the HeadAmp Pico Amp/DAC with the JH16 and also the AudioQuest DragonFly.  In the non-portable category, the Luxman P-1u does nicely.

Yes,i found the HeadAmp Pico to be interesting too but someone told me it do not do hi-res (max out at 16/48 he think) and the USB interface is outdated (no async. USB etc). To me if paying that kind of money but can`t handle hi-res file is just too bad i think,same goes for the RSA Predator too. I heard they are great performers but i do wish they would be updated. Anyways thank you for your post!

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
A high-end IEM deserves a high-end DAC/amp.  I'd give a good long look at the Apex Glacier.

The Apex got great reviews,but someone in the appreciation thread said he experience hiss when he used it with the JH16,also the form factor is only by a little off for me personally...
Anyways thank you for the suggestion,i do hope the TVVJ guys will rectify this problem in the future.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Yes,i found the HeadAmp Pico to be interesting too but someone told me it do not do hi-res (max out at 16/48 he think) and the USB interface is outdated (no async. USB etc). To me if paying that kind of money but can`t handle hi-res file is just too bad i think,same goes for the RSA Predator too. I heard they are great performers but i do wish they would be updated. Anyways thank you for your post!

]
If hi res is what you think you need, then check out the Audiouest DragonFly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back