What is a closed headphone equal to the HD600?
Jul 10, 2003 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Budrew

Head-Fier
I need a pair of closed headphones to complement my HD600s. I love the HD600s. Is there a closed headphone that is similar in performance/sound characteristics? I've tried the AT W100s and W1000s and though they are fine they are not close to the HD600s. I probably prefer the W1000s over the W100s. Any other options available? Thanks.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 18
IMO there is no closed headphone that sounds like the HD-600. In terms of performance, the Sony MDR-CD3000 performs at a similar level, but with a very different sonic signature. The Sony usually sounds brighter than Sennheisers. The Sony is more amplification dependent than the Sennheisers, and is capable of sounding lousy much more easily than the HD-600 if upstream components aren't to its liking. I do prefer the Sony over any of the Audio Technica's I've heard (W2002, W100, W1000, A100Ti).

Another possibility is the Etymotic ER-4S. This actually fits in the ear, rather than over it, but has superb sonics. The comfort level may be problematical for some (including me). The Ety will give you much more isolation than any other headphone, if that's your reason for seeking a closed phone.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks. I actually do have a pair of Etys that I use for travel. I find them comfortable, but have to remove them for a few minutes every hour or so. I'm looking for closed headphones so that I don't bother my wife when we're in the same room.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 18
get some r-10s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 18
Budrew: am in a similar situation and have had limited success finding a closed headphone that has sound quality on par with some of the better headphones (like the HD600). Have been sticking with Etys while continuing the search.

FWIW: The best sounding closed headphone that I've had a chance to hear (that wasn't the R10) was... Sony CD3K. But, as Hirsch said, it's got a different sonic character than the Senns. Very nice sound, just different than the HD600. And, like all audio products, some folks like 'em, some folks don't.

MERTON: an excellent suggestion... I'm not sure about Budrew's wife, but with my wife, just knowing that I had purchased them would bother her no matter WHERE she was!

Bruce

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Now THAT's a good suggestion. For affordable closed headphones I'd have to give the vote to the HFI-650 if you liked the HD600. It's not the same but you'll probably like it. It's practical too (the one with the coiled cable). On my audition of them I really like everything but the ear comfort of the 650.

The CD3000 is as other posters have noted the is only closed headphone roughly in the same class. I feel it's a bit more lumpen but wider than the HD600, which is good for some music but less desirable in other genres.

The W100 and the W1000 have certain deficiencies over the HD600 which make them not as versatile or detailed, although less so on the W1000 in my opinion. The A1000 is pretty brash and not particulaly good value. The A900 has the same inoffensive feel as the 600 and is I think better than the HFI-650 overall but is much less practical and doesn't quite go to the level of the HD600.

Jul 10, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 18
Budrew,

Maybe you should try the HD25 (not the SP one) or HD280 from Senn.

The HD25 is very good and neutral like HD600 but not very comfortable.

The HD280 is comfy but not as fast as the HD25.

Jul 10, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 18
Beyer DT250-250. The DT831 are marvelous as well.

Those are the ones that my ears seem to prefer. I did like the sound of the Ultrasones, but I could not keep them on very long. Maybe better in cold climates.

gerG

Jul 10, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 18
I agree with the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 suggestion. If you go to the frequency response section of Headroom's site, you'll find that the Beyer DT250-250 has pretty much the closest frequency response to the HD600 that you can find in a closed can. See the attached file. The main difference is that the midrange is slightly more forward on the DT250-250 (but nowhere near as much as Grados). The DT250-250 also need a powerful amp to sound their best. Without a powerful amp, they have very little soundstage.

Jul 10, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 18
Another vote for CD3000 - The only closed cans I've used that sound in the same league as the HD600's (although my preference is still the HD600). Both have their benefits and drawbacks though.

-dd3mon

Jul 10, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 18
The DT-250 250 was my solution to the need for "closed Senns" (in my case 580s) and I'm sticking with it. My vague, perceived frequency response for the two is quite similar. If you find those other closed cans too bright or forward you'll probably like these. The fit/feel is also similar, unless you have a big head or big ears.

There is a major difference in sound: I'd say the soundstage is quite narrow relative to Senns, regardless of the amplification. As a result, you lose a bit of clarity and air, and complex passages can get a bit congested. Maybe not the best for really critical listening, but they are very enjoyable, and do take full advantage of the best amplification you can provide (I guess if you're using the Grace you should be fine with pretty much anything).

I have not heard the CD-3000 (except at the WOH tour a long time ago, which I didn't like but later heard rumors that there was something wrong with that pair or something). Other closed phones I'm familiar with are the W100, ER-6, and (fading from memory though) CD-1700.

Jul 10, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 18
Best closed headphones if you dont mind bulkiness are the Sony MDR-CD3000 as many have suggested. However, if you're looking for something less expensive and less bulky, go with either the Ultrasone HFI-650 from Meier Audio or the AKG K271 Studios from HeadRoom. I personally prefer the AKG because its more comfortable and sounds very similar in terms of quality, to the Ultrasone.

Both these phones, however, dont sound as refined as the Sony, which sounds significantly better. I use the AKG mostly as a casual or gaming headphone when I'm listening to music but also doing something at the same time, and I use the CD3000's when I'm listening for the sake of the music and nothing else.
wink.gif

Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to point something out. The AKG and Ultrasone isolate better than the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back