what ipod to get?
Apr 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to get an ipod basically so I can make LODs. I do fully enjoy my Creative Zen Vision:M and I considered a 5.5g ipod video but liked the Vision:M better. So I am not looking for a replacement, but just a good ipod that will see light usage and give me more options for portable music. I am thinking that the Nano would be a good option since I already have my Vision:M and the allure of a smaller DAP interests me.

So what is better SQ wise? 1st or 2nd gen Nano, or one of the more recent Video or Photo ipods? I will probably buy new or refurbished instead of used as I can't stand scratches (I know...)

So indulge my ipod noobness... I've always used Creative DAPs and have always thought them to be superior to apple, but I'm willing to give the ipod a go.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 26
1st gen nano has better SQ, and can be rock boxed. you might wanna try the samsung k3. supposedly great SQ

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the new 30g is thin light and lots of extras had mine now for 7 months
its all i need in a portable.

I agree. Also, the 5.5G has very good sound. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Rick

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 26
I say first gen Nano; there were many refurbs on Apple's online shop last time I checked (a day or so ago). Also, like srozzman said, this Nano model does have a superior sound chip and can be Rockboxed (rockbox.org) to take it further.

Use a BSE (bestskinsever.com) also for it.

I am waiting for somebody to blow through your OP and say "iMod."
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Use a BSE (bestskinsever.com) also for it.

I am waiting for somebody to blow through your OP and say "iMod."
rolleyes.gif

I have a BSE on my razr phone and on both my and my wife's Vision:M's. I also used a sheet of it to make a screen protector for my car alarm remote
biggrin.gif

yeah, imod isn't going to happen... I want one cheap that looks good and sounds good. I want to have one on hand so I can make some LODs.

thanks for the input thus far. I would definitely get a 5g or 5.5g video if apple still had them as refurbs for $175...
Right now I'm thinking the Nano sounds good to me as I already have my Vision:m so I don't need another largish player, and I could just use the Nano when I work out

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 26
Just a couple tips: I have a Black Nano 1G with 1-piece front BSE and iSkin Slims (5 colors!).
I would have gotten the 3-piece slim and left the wheel skin off and gotten a white Nano. Why? Because the wheel is a little bit harder to move and click, and the iSkins look much better on a white thing than a black thing.
Otherwise it's great. If only other companies were allowed to use the click wheel.

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st gen nano has better SQ, and can be rock boxed. you might wanna try the samsung k3. supposedly great SQ

RockBox rules... make sure you get a device that can do this...

www.Rockbox.org

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 26
Get the one with the most amount of storage you can afford.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gen Nano?

Has the 1st gen nano the best line-out/SQ sound of the current ipod range then?

1st and 2nd gen nanos are easy to tell apart. the 2nd gen has an aluminum housing

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 26
it probably is, but keep in mind these two things

1. I do not intend to have this be my main DAP, I much prefer my Vision:M
2. I would like to keep the price at $200 or less, this rules out many new ipods and means refurbished and like-new used units are alright with me

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gen Nano?

Has the 1st gen nano the best line-out/SQ sound of the current ipod range then?

untitled1nq2.jpg

1st gen has glossy front and metal back. Comes in black and white.

2nd gen is matte all around, no gloss. Comes in pink, green, blue, white, black.

Personally, I find the 2nd gen really ugly...I have the 1st gen but it scratches really easily so you'll need to get an Agent18 case or something. Battery life is pretty weak too (about 8 hours or less maybe because I'm the 3rd owner). Rolls off very low frequencys. Other than that, great player.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 26
my girlfriend and i both prefer the looks of 1st gen nano by a LONG shot... although i still can't tempt her into rockboxin her nano
wink.gif
... someday....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back