What I'm really looking for
Dec 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nepenthe

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a little drunk. Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, an exquisitely tasteful 24 proof ale, if you must know. Unbelievable "beer."

Anyway, the best music I ever heard, by a light year (that's a very very long distance for you neophytes), was when I had ESS AMT-1 speakers in my bedroom and smoked quite a bit of marijuana with my buddy. Granted, I was only 16 or 17 or 18, but music has never ever sounded as three dimensional, affecting, or rich as those times.

To make this very very simple, I have eternally looked for headphones that bring me close to that sound. This search has not been for nought: my current SRH840s+CD5001+Cute Beyond are incredible... but the search remains.

I'm interested in all comments. I LOVE my current setup -- on December 24th when I had to be into work for 8 hours I thought it sounded *magical* -- yet it still will probably always lack that inimitable quality that I *used* to hear. But I wonder, how much is the technical quality, and how much is the pot?

So I ask: has anyone ever re-found that quality in headphones? I'm not going to say it's impossible. I'm merely going to say it's a little improbable. But if moving from dynamics to stats is essentially the equivalent, then BOOOM my money is spent. Opinions solicited.

What do you think?

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 7
damn...

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 7
You were high.
For the record, music will never sound better for the rest of your life.
Those teenage years determine a lot about you.

Think about how many 60 years olds still listen to the Beatles. 
It's as if no other music ever happened after that (for them).

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm 64 and I listen to Vaughan Williams. Where does that leave me?

And I never smoked anything but tobacco in my whole life.

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back