What If The Telephone Rings
Jan 22, 2008 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

breakfastchef

500+ Head-Fier
This is my first post on head-fi, so please excuse me if this subject has been beaten to death in the past. When wearing headphones, you essentially block out the world around you. This is good until someone or something needs your attention. What do you folks do when the telephone rings or an enraged spouse comes sceaming at you to "take those things off"? Has anyone invented a device that alerts you to the aforementioned situations? For example, if I am on the computer donning headphones and my spouse needs my attention or the telephone rings, what can alert me to this situation? I expect this to be an interesting thread or I will quickly learn that solution already exist.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 34
I frankly can't stand females that REQUIRE my attention ALL THE TIME! Can't stand needy ppl in general. Change wife.

As far as the phone, I guess turn the ringer up and put it right next to you. Am sure u can fit a light to it, meant for hard-hearing ppl. Do a forward from lanline to cellphone and put cell on vibrate.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 34
well u wont be COMPLETELY isolated... i hope.

what if your house catches fire and you are lounging on a chair with your eyes closed?!

just be careful! i usually take my headphones off every ~15-30min just to be sure something needs my attention

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 34
Open Headphones

Best of both worlds
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 34
Not all headphones shut out external noise only closed headphones and ear canal phones do that. Open headphones and most earbuds let outside sound in. With these, depending on how loud you play your music, you should be able to ear most of whats going on around you, certainly a phone ringing.

There are lights you can attach to your phone that will flash when the phone rings, but, as far as I know, an "angry spouse detector" has yet to be invented.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 34
Then they must take a message.

I am not to be bothered when listing to music anyway.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 34
You need to arrange some time for yourself, even just a half hour in a day, to sit back, close your eyes, and sink into a pool of music with headphones. Explain to your wife that you want to be alone for a little bit to relax, and shut out unnecessary things, including the telephone.

If you really need to be accessible at all times, get a phone with a backlit screen and buttons, which will almost definitely light up when the phone rings, and face the doorway so that you'll see people coming in. Of course, this only works when your eyes are open.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 34
If they cant reach your house, they will probably call your cell. Keep that in pocket and feel the vibration. If they dont call your cell, its either not an important call or its a telemarketer.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 34
Am I missing something, I thought the whole point of headphones were to turn up my music and turn down the world. If I didn't want to be in my own world I'd use (gasp) speakers.
To keep the little lady happy, tell here she can use your gear when you're at the bar.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 34
Back at work during college, and still to this day at home, I keep a bowl of crumpled up paper balls right near my door. I tell people rather than yelling at me, to just chuck a paper ball at my head when they want my undivided attention.

For the case of the phone, I have one unit sitting right next to my rig. When it rings, I can tell because the LCD starts flashing. Then I just check the ID to see if it is someone who I have to talk to, or someone who I am willing to talk to. If you don't meet either criteria, leave a message.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 34
NOTHING is worthy of distracting me from my listening sessions. If the phone rings, the machine will pick up. If my kids need me, they can wait...it will teach them patience. If my wife needs me, she can wait too. I'll just screw it up anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back