What IEM to get with a good microphone
Jul 24, 2012 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bonebrain

New Head-Fier
Sorry, but I just can not find the answer that I am looking for.  I travel a great deal and appreciate the ability to use my IEM's wherever I go.  I often need to have conference calls etc on my phone in remote locations so having a 'good' microphone is very important as well.  I have been using a set of Future Sonic headphones that were married to a standard iPhone cable by ultimatebuds.  Ultimatebuds appears to have now gone away and my headset is now held together using Sugru so I would like to find a better setup.  While there is often chatter about the audio quality, which is important, I fail to find any feedback on the quality of the microphone which for me is very important as well.  If need be I am not shy with hacking a good cable to a good set of buds but that would be the last resort.  Can someone please help?

Thanks

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I have heard good things about the Apple unit.  As I said the IEM that I am using now has the Apple cable and therefore the same microphone as the ADDIEM so I am hoping that there is a better unit out there.  If not this will likely be a good alternative.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 5
To be honest, I don't think there's much talk here about microphone quality. Well, none I've really seen. :rolleyes:

Take a look at this chart, if an IEM has a mic you'll find it in there under the highlighted "i" section.

Not much talk about how useful they are though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-247-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-superfi-5-pro-superfi-5-eb-added-07-23-12#post_6492059

Or, possibly someone can share their micrphone experiences with you. :smile:

Goodluck.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 5
I have heard from many people that the Audio Technica IEMs have excellent quality microphones built into them. May I suggest the widely acclaimed ATH-CKM500i (the i at the end stands for i-device compatible. It has a playback controller and a microphone.) They don't seem to sell them in the US, but you can import them from Japan. And if you go on AT's website, im sure you'll find IEMs with microphones that they sell in the US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back