What I think about Triple.fi two years of audiophile growth later...
Jan 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #166 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by krucacing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't live with the Trips recessed mids and fatiguing highs
redface.gif

It's not so much that the mids are recessed, it's that the bass is too prevalent. Oh wait, I guess that's the same.
confused_face.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #168 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not so much that the mids are recessed, it's that the bass is too prevalent. Oh wait, I guess that's the same.
confused_face.gif

I don't fully agree with this statement. I think the IE8 has even more prevalent bass response but the mids do not sound as "recessed" as the mids of the TF10. As was mentioned in another thread by another Head-Fier, I think it is just UE's way of coloring the mids to be smoother/not fatiguing and it's really just a love-hate sort of coloration.

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #169 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't fully agree with this statement. I think the IE8 has even more prevalent bass response but the mids do not sound as "recessed" as the mids of the TF10. As was mentioned in another thread by another Head-Fier, I think it is just UE's way of coloring the mids to be smoother/not fatiguing and it's really just a love-hate sort of coloration.

I agree that the IE8 has more prevalent bass response than the TF10. The TF10 also presents bass more precisely.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #170 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by krucacing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yap, but i think this degree of "recessed-ness" if there is such word
tongue.gif
is affected by how louder the bass is compared to the mids and highs, e.g UE11 bass is so powerful, it makes the mids too laid back; JH13 &IE8 has a more forward mids than UE11, while SE530 has thick mids with balanced bass.

In the end no matter how high-end the system is, if the bass is set louder than other frequency, it will muddled up other frequency, i.e. you just hear more of the bass and less of other frequency, and that is IMO
atsmile.gif

I think that the TF10 is more balanced than the SE530 and the IE8. It does have slightly recessed mids but then again, the SE530's mids are very accentuated and its highs rolled-off. The IE8's bass presentation tends to dominate the overall sound signature, however it has more midrange presence than the TF10 and non-fatiguing highs that extend just as far, in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #171 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I don't get. Wouldn't paying $99 cause everyone to say "wow, I got a lot of bang for my buck!"? With hype comes a tremendous backlash.

How about orchestral jazz like the Clayton-Hamilton jazz orchestra? I found that both the UM3x and the TF10 just could not do it, I just couldn't get into it like my full-sized cans. But the UM3x is meant to be a stage phone, and turned up I can totally imagine myself playing piano to the track because I can hear everything like I need to.

Let's try "Georgia" by the above mentioned duo.

Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra - Georgia: Free MP3 Download

Sorry I couldn't find a higher bitrate sample.

From the beginning, the snare hit sounds a bit to honky (more so on the TF10). I've heard this track extensively with other phones, and the beginning normally sounds quite sweet but powerful. Then on, the stand-up bass doesn't really have the presence I hear in my PFEs. The intermittent orchestra hits with the kick drum, upright bass, snare and brass just don't sound "lush" nor have impact (around 45 second mark). What bothers me after that is that those awesome tom-tom rolls don't sound awesome anymore.

How does it sound to you in comparison to something full-sized?

Just for the record loopsider, I attempted to access the above track but the only workable option I could see was to download it to my mobile phone as a ringtone. Sorry but I did try.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #172 of 184
I have had a few high end IEMs (W3 IE8 X10 SE530 Triple fi) I sold all of them to fund for customs. However I recently bought a tri fi again coz of the deal, and I have to say it is more than just acceptable at a $100 range. Firstly, there is no 3 drivers IEM in the market even at $200 range. for $99, I think we should give them credits at least for the technology and the material used. Secondly, I personally couldn't tell much of a difference between the Westone 3 and Triplefi~ Just like IE8 and X10 sounds very similar to me too. I perfer Triplefi over IE8 for the crisper sound, and better fit for my ear. Lastly, even though the cable is cheap, but its detachable and Im using my triplefi everyday at the gym and nothing happened to it. but even if it breaks, I know I can just replace it for 20bucks~ much better than when I broke my SE530 cable~

All Im tryna say is that I think triplefi is definitely at the same league with all other high end IEMs~ if its price should be revised, then theres no reason to not revised the price of other brands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General comments? They aren't better than my Altec HD mode + Long comply tips (40$) nor the Head Direct RE252 (200$). I'd say the Triple.fi are an acceptable listen for a 100$ tool, but they need to revise their regular price since in today's IEM market, putting them at 379$ is not too fair to the buyers.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #173 of 184
I think the sound quality of triple.fi still compare very well with the generally regarded top universal IEMs here SE530, IE8, UM3X.

I haven't tried much of the $200 offerings so I can't comment much on that, but I think the triple.fi still sound better overall than phonak pfe, unamped er4p, REO and amped depodded iM716; however, it is definitely not the most neutral sounding IEM, so you might like some cheaper offerings if you want something more balanced.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #174 of 184
if only they were smaller :p although they are comfortable once i take them out my tragus area kinda hurts

i do like the replaceable cable..even tho it took me a while to change the left and right cuz it was so damn hard to remove its still better than if i had cable issues and had to pay for a repair ;p however i am finding the soundstage a bit odd..it just seems wrong for some reason

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #175 of 184
Speaking of TF10 cables...

Does the UE website allow international shipping? I've been going over the entire sales page and the shipping options are only within CONUS. I plan to some but since I live in the Philippines where there aren't UE cables (for universal IEMs) available, my only recourse would be getting them through the net.

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #177 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YGPM. I'll get you UE cables if you need one.

Yup got it. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #178 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tone leaves something to desire: there is too much midbass prominence (reminds me to rubber balls hitting the floor), although not as nausea inducing as Altec Lansing in Bass mode (I used them in HD mode).

i must say i felt the exact same when i first got but i found amping them went a huge way to fixing that. also amping cleaned up the treble massively making it super duper over crisp which ill admit is totally artificial, its fun as hell.

(im thread catching up so ignore if thats been established already)

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #179 of 184
Well I couldn't pass up a good deal and ordered these Triple Drivers to add to my collection of IEM's. I too got in on the Amazon.com deal for 99USD, but overall cost for me is nearer to 150 CND due to Mail Forwarding, additional shipping to Canada and Canadian Taxes.

Unfortunately, I can't get a good seal on them, I tried looking at the website, to see how I am supposed to wear them but in that configuration they simply don't seal properly.
confused.gif

I have the Westone UM3x with UM56 Tips to compare with and that still remains my choice due to better seal, I probably wouldn't have known about the sealing issue had I not got into the Audiophilie world.

I find that if I use my fingers to press the IEM in a little to get the proper seal, they sound pretty good. They don't feel as strong in the mid range though as my custom tipped UM3x's. I don't know if I like that or not at this point in time, it just feels different. Without the proper seal the bass punch is too weak on the Triple FI's, I am very used to the strong bass on the UM3x's, I guess.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #180 of 184
^ That's a shame. You do need a proper seal with the TF10's to do them justice and unfortunately they are notoriously temperamental when it comes to fit. Have you tried experimenting with the different tips provided?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back