What I think about Triple.fi two years of audiophile growth later...
Jan 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #76 of 184
TF10 owner here too, interesting read. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

the TF10 cables used 2 years ago has a L-shaped plug right??

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #77 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you guys consider vocals (especially female vocals like Joni Mitchell's) "intimate" with the JH13? They are even excessively so with the Apuresound Etys (but I like it), they are more neutral but still intimate with Babystax, they are (to me) farther with TF10 Pro (bordering diffusiveness) or Westone 3. Such input from you would help me making a more proper idea of these customs.

well I havent spent a great deal of time with ER4 and never with an upgraded cable, but I would have to agree with boomana here, in that if the vocal calls for intimacy then the JH13 will give that, but it will not make all vocals intimate. they can be sultry, raspy and forced in the same line if that is what the recording brings to the table. in fact even though the bass gets a lot of attention because it is so awesome, the midrange on JH13 is possibly even more impressive in that it excels without calling too much attention to itself

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #78 of 184
Quote:

Jai, here it's something that helped me and others a good while back:
Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing

The "colour" of midbass would be similar to what you can hear around 60 Hz.

I'll definitely try this after finishing the report I've been finishing over the entire christmas break. For thinking out loud, I've been slouching on my work the past week as I have found it quite engrossing to re-listen my entire audio library after purchasing these IEMs. For instance, I've played The Eagles' Hotel California live performance (on their Hell Freezes Over album) for quite a number of times already as I was very amazed of the detail and the soundstaging these 'phones give certain recordings. I've also come to appreciate quality live recordings (some of them audiophile grade recordings, thanks to the generous posts made by other head-fi'ers in other threads; never knew they were of that class!), which took the back seat before since I really can't figure out who's playing the acoustic or where the drums are placed with my Shure SCL2s. Indeed, being in the middle of a truly immersive experience (such as an Unplugged concert of The Corrs or Eric Clapton; I've also fallen in love with classical recordings since this IEM really bring out that extra detail out of the music) makes you want to throw your work out of the window and sit and relax with the 'phones comfortably nestled in your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for customs...haha.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's another thing altogether. Maybe I'll let my wallet recuperate first from this expense as well as the holiday spending spree...Good thing I live here in Manila where getting a pair of customs is somewhat a difficult endeavor. It really disciplines your upgradititis itch.
L3000.gif

Thanks a lot!
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #79 of 184
I just tried the link that Antonyfirst gave me, and it sure did me a lot of favor getting to know what midbass hump is all about!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think, as how I hear it, it's the sonic "thump" that I can hear from my TF10s when listening to pop-sy or hip-hop recordings. It's more of a nuisance, I believe, as it hampers you from enjoying that "body-clutching" bass at 30Hz. There are some recordings, especially those that feature intricate bass playing at the background, that just distracts you with that midbass hump posters here are compaining about the TF10s. And I second their thoughts here, that in some instances, the vocals, since it's in the background mix (I believe that's the part when people are saying that the vocals in TF10s are not that forward to their liking) are muddied by the 60Hz thump. I can't give out exact examples yet, but I'll give my library another go to notice such sonic phenomenon with the TF10s.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #80 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollowman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TF10 owner here too, interesting read. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

the TF10 cables used 2 years ago has a L-shaped plug right??

That's it!

Jai, glad I have helped.
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #81 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I got good impressions (paid dearly for them) from a reputable audiologist and I havent needed 1 refit; perfect first go.

Therein lies my other main issue, I live on a relatively small island with a population of around 140,000 so I'm not sure how experienced any of the audiologists around here are with ear impressions for IEM's. I'd probably have more luck going to the mainland to get them done but that makes it a much more costly endeavor. I'll admit though I haven't looked too seriously into the ear impression costs and experience of the local audiologists as yet though so it may be a bit of an unfounded concern.

It's interesting reading impressions and brief comparisons to the Triple.Fi's though, reading them makes me think of the differences I heard with my recabled Triple.Fi's although I'm sure the differences are far greater going to the 13's I expect it's a good indication that if I do upgrade, going to the 13's is probably the most logical choice (although what is this mention of 16's?).

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #82 of 184
Many are complaining about the midbass hump. But what universal triple driver doesn't have a midbass hump? Most of the examples I can come up off the top of my head are worse. The se530, um3x, IE8 (not triple armature but comparatively priced), w3 etc all have midbass humps equal to or worse than the tf10. The only triple driver universal without this characteristic I can think of is the ck100.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #83 of 184
Does the UM3X really have it too? I thought its tonality (more midrangey) made it less of a concern. Do you own both? Can you elaborate more?

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #84 of 184
actually my problem was the fit, lack of midrange and piercing highs, but i've already stated that., i agree most other universals I have owned have been more prominent in the midbass. they have all gone by the wayside as well except for the UM3x. midrange is where the music is for me, so I can at least for a while forgive the other problems if the mids are handled well. of course if they get it all pretty much right thats fine with me too ;P

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #85 of 184
the UM3X doesnt IMO have a midbass hump; especially if sourced and amped properly

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #86 of 184
I agree there is much greater choice now but I have few questions.
Why didnt you post this review 3 months earlier when price was sky high ? Exclusive factor has worn out ?

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #87 of 184
Quote:

Two years of "education" later, my super-tweaked Altec Lansing were almost dead (cable issues) when the Amazon deal popped out, and thanks to a fellow USA Head-Fi'er I managed to buy a cheap Triple.fi VI to replace the Altec.

^

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #88 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree there is much greater choice now but I have few questions.
Why didnt you post this review 3 months earlier when price was sky high ? Exclusive factor has worn out ?

3 months ago he was rating the triple's as a top IEM, see his posting history referred to in this thread, if that is accurate.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #89 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 months ago he was rating the triple's as a top IEM, see his posting history referred to in this thread, if that is accurate.

You should be so intelligent to stop the idiocy now. Three months ago I wasn't even posting. Go read your stuff again if you have to talk nonsense.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #90 of 184
Quote:

You should be so intelligent to stop the idiocy now. Three months ago I wasn't even posting. Go read your stuff again if you have to talk nonsense.

No need to be so confrontational. Before you got the TF10vi, it is reasonable to assume that your opinion of the TF10 had not changed from http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...ml#post5531282, even if you weren't technically posting 3 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back