What I think about Triple.fi two years of audiophile growth later...
Jan 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #61 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Jai, this is another good point: maybe the vi cable is darker than others.
I remember that my second Triple.fi, again almost 2 years ago, had the ES2 cable and, out of an iMod and bright amp sounded sibilant, but I couldn't tell which was the main culprit in the chain.
Personally, anyway, I am fine with its treble rendition, the midrange instead would hardly be fixed by the ES2 cable. If the ES2 cable is really brighter we might end up tightening the bass though.
biggrin.gif
Do you have stock cable on yours?

Antonyfirst,

Yups I have the stock cable with me. I was initially planning to get the ES2 cable mod but having spend several hours' worth of reading here at head-fi, I don't think that's a viable option for me right now. Aside from thinking too much of loosening connector ports due to the wider circumference of ES2 cable pins, if something happens with my TF10 pair I have to ship it back to the US...and I can't see myself being separated from these 'phones and go back to the Shure SCL2s. Haha.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the midrange rendition (I'm very sorry I'm still a noob with these terms. When I read comments about mid-bass hump, I still scratch my head for not knowing what exactly the poster is indicating at :p), there are some recordings wherein vocals are forward enough to my liking; sometimes, like what other posters in this thread have said, the vocals are overwhelmed by the instruments and the immense soundstage these 'phones produce. Nevertheless, most of the time I enjoy listening to the instruments and the rhythm more than to the vocals themselves.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, they sound quite well overall. I've tried auditioning the SE530s and am not a fan of its lush mids. Then again, I haven't tried other high-end IEMs (UM3X. W3, IE8, etc.) so I can fairly say that my ears aren't that experienced yet.
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply!
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #62 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mesasone: I really think you read Tony the wrong way; I read it and thought perhaps someone would take this the wrong way; but having seen the post he was replying to and knowing that English is not tony's first language; I knew where he was coming from. plus over my time as a member here I have come to know Tony's character through his posts and bragging and belittling other people is most certainly not part of his usual agenda. I have not found him to be egocentric in the slightest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...this is a general comment not related to any specific gear, but I want to add that my tastes in gear have certainly changed over the past few years, and sound signatures that wow'ed me awhile back, would drive me nuts today.

X2 on both fronts.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #63 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
elnero: you know JH13 is inevitable
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, considering I'm mainly an IEM guy nowadays it seems like ultimately that's where I'm going to end up. I've read a lot of impressions from people I highly respect and have come to feel they would likely be only real logical next step from what I have but I don't have the funds for them right now so I haven't contacted JH Audio about some of my concerns. While concerned about fit issues and cross border costs for refits my primary concern at this point is with my sensitivity to the materials used in most of the none foam based tips and what happens if I have similar issues with materials used in the 13's.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #64 of 184
Thank you Jyle for your commens. do you think the two are similar in detail retrieval?

I was thinking about something that might make differences in how I am perceiving bass and treble compared to my old pairs. Looking at how stiff the Pro cable is, could it be possible that it uses silver (or silver-plated copper)? Making it thick and stiff would prevent it from breaking. Maybe the VI cable I have is just copper, which is far less easy to break, resulting in a fatter bass and subdued treble. Just a thought, which might well lack fundation, but logically it could make sense.

I also remember that Apuresound had a recable for Ultimate Ears IEMs in store a couple of years ago, but I think it has never become a final product until now. Maybe such a strong diffusion of the earphone would make the manufacturing more profitable.

Finally, a mate is telling me privately that Sony hybrid eartips give more balance to bass and midrange. Maybe people who own such tips could try if they like the difference as well.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #65 of 184
well if it makes you feel any better Elnaro; i'm about as far away from JH physically as you could possibly get. I was a bit concerned about the expense of getting the right fit too because of the cost of international shipping; especially insured. I decided on JH13 partly as a reaction against a heap of refits that were going on at westone at the time too; JH13 hadnt really hit the streets so to speak when I made my order.

but I got good impressions (paid dearly for them) from a reputable audiologist and I havent needed 1 refit; perfect first go.

best purchase I have made here and the first time I have been truly satisfied with all aspects of the sound of a headphone. first time I have really been comfortable enough to start building a whole system around any one can; even my home rig is geared towards them and so are all of the DIY projects i'm currently working on. nolonger am I fidgeting; even the upcoming release of the JH16 doesnt concern me

Antony: it is unlikely that the pro cable is silver. a very slight chance of SPC, but that would be unlikely. much more likely different dielectric or construction makes the difference.

oh and no problem on what I said regarding your character; never a truer word said, I meant every word

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #66 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaibautista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Antonyfirst,

Yups I have the stock cable with me. I was initially planning to get the ES2 cable mod but having spend several hours' worth of reading here at head-fi, I don't think that's a viable option for me right now. Aside from thinking too much of loosening connector ports due to the wider circumference of ES2 cable pins, if something happens with my TF10 pair I have to ship it back to the US...and I can't see myself being separated from these 'phones and go back to the Shure SCL2s. Haha.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the midrange rendition (I'm very sorry I'm still a noob with these terms. When I read comments about mid-bass hump, I still scratch my head for not knowing what exactly the poster is indicating at :p), there are some recordings wherein vocals are forward enough to my liking; sometimes, like what other posters in this thread have said, the vocals are overwhelmed by the instruments and the immense soundstage these 'phones produce. Nevertheless, most of the time I enjoy listening to the instruments and the rhythm more than to the vocals themselves.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, they sound quite well overall. I've tried auditioning the SE530s and am not a fan of its lush mids. Then again, I haven't tried other high-end IEMs (UM3X. W3, IE8, etc.) so I can fairly say that my ears aren't that experienced yet.
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply!
biggrin.gif

Jai, here it's something that helped me and others a good while back:
Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing

The "colour" of midbass would be similar to what you can hear around 60 Hz.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #67 of 184
I just want to reiterate that I have nothing against the OP. (I love my ER-4P too!) Antonyfirst is just the unfortunate victim of my pent up frustration at the many, many negative threads about the TF10s started over the past couple of weeks. I was far too harsh earlier.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #68 of 184
no more JH13 talk in here though. this place has already been overrun with it
smily_headphones1.gif

sonny, I think it was always going to happen though with the hype surrounding the product and the vast number of sales. also the fact that things really have moved on a bit since the TF10 was released. IMO of course and YMMV
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #69 of 184
Quote:

Thank you Jyle for your commens. do you think the two are similar in detail retrieval?

I was thinking about something that might make differences in how I am perceiving bass and treble compared to my old pairs. Looking at how stiff the Pro cable is, could it be possible that it uses silver (or silver-plated copper)? Making it thick and stiff would prevent it from breaking. Maybe the VI cable I have is just copper, which is far less easy to break, resulting in a fatter bass and subdued treble. Just a thought, which might well lack fundation, but logically it could make sense.

I also remember that Apuresound had a recable for Ultimate Ears IEMs in store a couple of years ago, but I think it has never become a final product until now. Maybe such a strong diffusion of the earphone would make the manufacturing more profitable.

Finally, a mate is telling me privately that Sony hybrid eartips give more balance to bass and midrange. Maybe people who own such tips could try if they like the difference as well.

In terms of frequency response, both are similar: a v-shape stretched horizontally, approaching neutral, JH13 more so than TF10pro. However the JH13 is significantly more detailed than TF10pro. Its a natural upgrade for those who liked, but want improvement over the TF10pro. As i've implied with my comparison to my D7000, the JH13 is able to compete with full sized cans in terms of details.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #70 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnybobiche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to reiterate that I have nothing against the OP. (I love my ER-4P too!) Antonyfirst is just the unfortunate victim of my pent up frustration at the many, many negative threads about the TF10s started over the past couple of weeks. I was far too harsh earlier.

That's cool. We can bury our "axes".
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #71 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of frequency response, both are similar: a v-shape stretched horizontally, approaching neutral, JH13 more so than TF10pro. However the JH13 is significantly more detailed than TF10pro. Its a natural upgrade for those who liked, but want improvement over the TF10pro. As i've implied with my comparison to my D7000, the JH13 is able to compete with full sized cans in terms of details.

ok one more...compete??... IME its bettered every fullsize can i've heard; even out of some serious amps and sources. I also dont find the frequency response to be that similar. the low bass is a touch tilted, but I find the rest to be pretty flat. the midrange is nothing like TF10 IMO. not only is there much more detail there in that area, but to me the whole presentation is much more integrated in that the whole spectrum works well together with nothing really sticking out ofr falling behind. the bass is a touch bumped, but I dont really find it that prominent and the highs are airy and extended yet smooth and unfatiguing. I coulnt listen to TF10 for longer than an hour without getting some fatigue from the highs, where I can listen to JH13 for the entirety of a long haul flight without feeling tired or fatigued in the slightest.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #72 of 184
Would you guys consider vocals (especially female vocals like Joni Mitchell's) "intimate" with the JH13? They are even excessively so with the Apuresound Etys (but I like it), they are more neutral but still intimate with Babystax, they are (to me) farther with TF10 Pro (bordering diffusiveness) or Westone 3. Such input from you would help me making a more proper idea of these customs.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #73 of 184
Quote:

Would you guys consider vocals (especially female vocals like Joni Mitchell's) "intimate" with the JH13? They are even excessively so with the Apuresound Etys (but I like it), they are more neutral but still intimate with Babystax, they are (to me) farther with TF10 Pro (bordering diffusiveness) or Westone 3. Such input from you would help me making a more proper idea of these customs.

It depends entirely on the recording.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #74 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends entirely on the recording.

Thanks! That's useful to know.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #75 of 184
Quote:

I haven't heard the babystax or etys, but the JH13 mids are definitely more forward than TF10pro and westone 3, if thats what you're asking. I can't give too specific info as i only had them for 2-3 days, i sent them back for a refit and haven't got them back yet.

@qusp:
Personally i don't find JH13 beating the HD800 in details at least, and that's by hearing to both via only a GS Solo SRG. They do have more details than D7000, Edition 8, Edition 9, and GS1000, thats about all the >1k cans i've heard. Each to his own anyways. Ok i'm done with JH13 talk on this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back