What I love about this board...
Mar 10, 2003 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

brent_mr2

100+ Head-Fier
I'm talking about the whole board, not just this Members' Lounge.

I'm on another board that uses the UBB format like this one, but it gets TONS more traffic, the monthly bandwidth is at least 30GB (somewhere in there). To speed things up a little, the search function is often disabled. There's one guy running the show and he pays a lot out of his own pocket every month to keep it running, so we really can't complain (that and it's the only real board for this particular car model line). There is also about 2000 more members at the other board.

What I like about this board:

There's no automatic censorship on profanity (no "++++" when you posted "****" for example).

The search function is ALWAYS enabled and relatively FAST.

Board speed is very fast.

Private messaging is enabled.

We get to use Avatars and sigs (you can use sigs on the other board, but you have to manually put it in every time).

You don't have to log in to view threads upon entering the site, you only log in when you want to post.

We have a wealth of knowledgable people here and the atmosphere is friendly (this is the case with the other forum too though).

Threads are hardly ever locked by mods (at least from what I've noticed).

So to whomever is the administrator/owner here, THANK YOU! I give this site an 11 out of 10.

Mar 10, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by brent_mr2
I'm on another board that uses the UBB format like this one, but it gets TONS more traffic, the monthly bandwidth is at least 30GB (somewhere in there). To speed things up a little, the search function is often disabled. There's one guy running the show and he pays a lot out of his own pocket every month to keep it running, so we really can't complain (that and it's the only real board for this particular car model line). There is also about 2000 more members at the other board.

So to whomever is the administrator/owner here, THANK YOU! I give this site an 11 out of 10.

Hehe.. The Man you'd be directing these thanks to would be Jude, the Playground Supervisor. And like your other board, Jude does pay a lot out of his own pocket every month to help us Head-Fi geeks get our daily fixes...
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks Jude!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 17
Another thing I just noticed. You can post a poll here with up to 20 choices, you're limited to 5 on the other forum. That made my "favorite 80's movie" poll kind of lame.

Thanks Jude!

Mar 10, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Another thing I just noticed. You can post a poll here with up to 20 choices, you're limited to 5 on the other forum. That made my "favorite 80's movie" poll kind of lame.

there was a good film made in the eighties?? What??
tongue.gif

g

Mar 10, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

there was a good film made in the eighties?? What??

"The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension"

ach, shall we say..a Penny for your thoughts?

Mar 10, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 17
whoops, what was I talking about?? lol, the 80s wasn't too bad...

Police Academy =)
Terminator
Bladerunner

yeah, there were a fair few good films... my bad =)

g

Mar 10, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 17
You can post more than 20 options in a poll... but you have to ask a moderator to add in the extras...

No, thread locks aren't all that common here... I'd be lying if I said they didn't happen... but I think we're pretty much like one big happy family...

Thanks everyone for making this a good place to hang out, and an easy place to moderate
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 17
brent,
glad you're loving the board as much as the rest of us.

and soon, you too will hate it as much as the rest of us.

or your wallet & bank account will, at very least. try exercising something i dont have, and maybe youll be okay: self-control

gluck buddy

Mar 10, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

.................You don't have to log in to view threads upon entering the site, you only log in when you want to post.

How do you do that? I can't NOT be logged in. I had a heck of a time with my other computer trying to log in as me instead of Booger. I finally got it to quit logging me in as Booger and now I am logged in as me on that one.

On this machine I am always logged in when I come here. I miss the first page all the time and have to manually click on the Head-Fi logo above to see that page.

This is great board
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Disabling cookies??

Mar 10, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

We get to use Avatars and sigs (you can use sigs on the other board, but you have to manually put it in every time).

No pic in siggies though.. although that might be a great thing, since some of
those pics are sometimes huge. Less stuff to load to view a thread = quicker
and is a plus for people on 56k.

Btw, I love the board too. Very friendly, lots of good guys and some wise ones
too!
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 17
Neil, it's the Toyota MR2 board (www.mr2faq.com), you have to register to get in.

nanahachi: I couldn't agree with you more. I'm going from a humble setup that used to be fine for my needs, now I'm planning on getting a mz-R50 and a IMP-400. It all started when I decided to get a player that doesn't eat batteries like my car discmen, I found this site and the rest is history.

The MR2 board has the same pocket draining effect as this board, but I don't currently have an MR2 so that doesn't happen there.

I log many hours on the bus so it's only fitting I focus on high quality portable audio. Most of the people on the bus that listen to PCDPs have cheap headphones and cheap players and there I am with my cans (the cans that some people use make my v6's look like Grados). I have seen one person with an imp-350 though, but I think he was using the included earbuds.

I did a graph on my graphing caclulator comparing cost plus batteries for my current setup and the D-CJ01, it would take 300 hours of use to start saving money (using alkalines). Now I'm more educated and know the D-CJ01 is not the right choice. The IMP-400 would take 540 hours to start paying for itself assuming I didn't buy any extra gumsticks or alkalines for it.

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
No pic in siggies though.. although that might be a great thing, since some of
those pics are sometimes huge. Less stuff to load to view a thread = quicker
and is a plus for people on 56k.

I hate those obnoxious giant images people stack on top of each other in their sigs. It makes threads very hard to read and is just annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back