What I learned at the MD/DC/VA Aug 24 Meet
Aug 25, 2002 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mkmelt

500+ Head-Fier
I propose that everyone who attended the Aug 24th Head-Fi members meeting in Rockville drop in and share with people some of what they learned. I will start by stating I learned the following:

I had no idea there was this many headphone enthusiasts living in the same general Rockville area.

I had a chance to see and hear a number of different headphones I had only read about on the forum including: AKG K-1000 Earspeaker, Grado RS-1, Beyerdynamic DT-770, AKG-K501, and amps: David Berning microZOTL, Corda Head Amp, and others. I honestly can't remember all the different models of amps and sources on display and playing today.

A vintage Fisher 400 tube receiver took on all comers, met all challenges handily, and was not disgraced today.

There appears to be no limit to the amount of pizza that Head-Fi members can consume.

Cats are indifferent to headphones, amps, and headphone listeners as a whole.

Thanks again Hirsh, for hosting this event.

-Marc

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 3
This was a super-awesome event! I got to hear headphone amps, and headphones that cost over $100, for the first time in my life. The headphones that really blew me away were the Grado HP-1s (which I understand they don't make anymore), the Sennheiser HD-600s, the Sennheiser HD 560IIs, and the Audio Technica ATH W-100s. I had never, ever heard sound like these! I mean these were the very best sound I had ever heard in my entire life.

I also got to try the Headroom Cosmic amp, which I just loved to death, the Corda amp, which I was addicted to (the crossfeed was more neutral than the Cosmic but not nearly so much flair, I think I prefer the cosmic by a hair), and the Total Airhead (a disappointment for me, the cosmic blew it to pieces, I guess you get what you pay for).

I also got to try out some super-expensive amps that I completely fail to comprehend. But the sound was uniformly amazing.

And there were these super-cool incredibly airy and neutral- sounding headphones that are two rectangular speakers that sit about an inch away from you ears... now that was some startlingly good sound. Those you just listen to and say WHOA!!! Did someone put something in my iced tea???? I understand they are selling at half price at headroom for about, oh, $500. Those were the very best headphones I heard. I think they were the AKG K-1000 earspeakers.

I also learned that my modest Grado SR-60s, Sennheiser HD 497s, and Sony MDR-V6s were really not lacking, are really just fine, where they suffer is when you just flat out A/B them with the headphones I mentioned above, it's just a matter of my modest headphones not quite reaching that level of ultra-realistic and ultra-engaging sound.

And the people were so great, I had just a great time. And I ate lots of pizza. Thanks so much to Hirsch! I'll be there for the next one!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Marc, Steve

I've posted pictures, and some comments (it's taking me awhile to organize my thoughts, so I'm just posting a little at a time) in the General Forum. I've started a new thread there, since this Forum is mostly used for scheduling and announcements.

Perhaps a kind moderator would merge the two threads in the most appropriate forum, if possible?

Hirsch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back