What I have learned about tubes.
Dec 23, 2018 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

timb5881

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok so I have been tube rolling for over 25 years. But now that I have a Schiit Vali 2, I have learned a lot more. First, with the exception of Sino and Russian tubes, Phillips may have had their fingers in just about all tube brands at one time or another. Second, trying to ID 6DJ8 and 6922 (and 7DJ8's as well) origin is, well a gamble. Construction on the 6DJ8 tubes may have been manufactured other places than what is on the tube, and the dimpled disc getter's seem to have been made every where, Yugoslavia, Holland, Germany, Hungary or Gt. Britain or at least labeled as such. Most Amperex Bugle Boy's sold on ebay are fakes (at least that is what I have been told).
The most important thing I have learned about 6SN7 tube's is that be careful of other peoples opinions, what sounds great to one person may very well sound bad to the next. This also applies to 6DJ8 and 12AU7 tubes. And the most important thing to remember, is that it is way to easy to become a tube junkie, always needing a new fix!

Dec 24, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Ok so I have been tube rolling for over 25 years. But now that I have a Schiit Vali 2, I have learned a lot more. First, with the exception of Sino and Russian tubes, Phillips may have had their fingers in just about all tube brands at one time or another. Second, trying to ID 6DJ8 and 6922 (and 7DJ8's as well) origin is, well a gamble. Construction on the 6DJ8 tubes may have been manufactured other places than what is on the tube, and the dimpled disc getter's seem to have been made every where, Yugoslavia, Holland, Germany, Hungary or Gt. Britain or at least labeled as such. Most Amperex Bugle Boy's sold on ebay are fakes (at least that is what I have been told).
The most important thing I have learned about 6SN7 tube's is that be careful of other peoples opinions, what sounds great to one person may very well sound bad to the next. This also applies to 6DJ8 and 12AU7 tubes. And the most important thing to remember, is that it is way to easy to become a tube junkie, always needing a new fix!
There's a corrolery to the above: Once you've found THE tube you like you want to hear it in a better amp.

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 4
That is also true, it is a vicious cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back