What I got for my birthday
Aug 26, 2006 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AndyKatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, 25 August, was my birthday, the lastest in a long, long, long running series.

I wasn't expecting anything. I really wasn't. So my long-suffering spouse faked me out totally by presenting me with a pair of E500s.

Indeed.

"Where did you get these?!?" I shrieked. "No one's getting these right now!"

She just smiled.

More than a quarter century of marraige and she still tricks me at will.

I have to take a tiny bit of credit for this by engaging in pro-active spouse-fi. Her Zen broke a while back. The headphone recepticle, as usual. She didn't want to spend money to replace it, but I could tell she missed it. So opportunity arose when a Headfier sold his 20 gig Ipod. I snatched it up. She was pleased, but our son had stolen her ER6s and fled with them to China (don't worry, he only *thinks* he's run far enough). So she used the stock earbuds for a couple of days.

Nix.

Remember the parable of the very poor man who goes to his rabbi to lament his terrible misfortune, only to be instructed to move his wife's parents and livestock into his already crowded home. After a week of this, the poor man returns to the rabbi sorrier than ever. Move the livestock and relatives out, the rabbi instructs. The poor man is only too glad to comply. *Now* the rabbi's genius is made manifest. The man is no richer than before, but his home is suddenly more spacious and blissfully quiet. It is paradise, and what is poverty in paradise?

So it was with Lisa. After receiving another pair of ER 6is, she used them and said, "I'll never make fun of you headphone geeks again!"

Okay, a momentary resolve. But presenting your headphone geek husband with a pair of E500s at the height of their scarcity is certainly walking the headfi walk.

Now they're playing Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra in flac format by way of a Rio Karma amplified by an RSA XP7.

Life can work, sometimes.
etysmile.gif

Andy

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I have to get a wife like yours when I get older.

Why wait?

Andy

Aug 26, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 13
Happy birthday! What a great present, too.

Wait a few weeks and pull a surprise on your wife. Come home on a Friday evening and unexpectedly take her off for the weekend, or something like that. She deserves it and you need to reinforce this kind of behavior!

Aug 26, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Happy birthday!
..and congratulations with the E500s. You sure have a great wife.
lambda.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 13
Great story and a Happy Birthday indeed!!

I have a birthday coming up next month myself, but I'm quite sure my Wife of nearly 39 years isn't likely to indulge me in my "wished-for" pair of RS-2s.

She is the "Video Freak" in the family. She wanted the 65" HDTV but didn't care much about the sound system as long as it sounded good, and matched the TV in relative stature.

....yeah; She admits it beats going to the theater.

She has cheap buds for her little Zen, and normally only wears one in one ear only.

....I'm on my own when it comes to cans.

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik

Wait a few weeks and pull a surprise on your wife. Come home on a Friday evening and unexpectedly take her off for the weekend, or something like that. She deserves it and you need to reinforce this kind of behavior!

Excellent advice on relationships in general and first-rate spouse-fi, Uncle Erik.

Andy

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
Excellent advice on relationships in general and first-rate spouse-fi, Uncle Erik.

Andy

restores my faith in men
biggrin.gif

happy birthday, and congrats on the gift

Aug 26, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 13
Congrats Andy, that is awesome! Oh, & congrats on the cans too.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back