What home phones?
Dec 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 21
The HD-650 is a good choice for trance and as all-around headphones. The HD-600 is more neutral and balanced, but you'll probably enjoy the darker, smoother sound of the HD-650. For me, the K-701 is mostly an acoustics/vocals headphone, like the K-501 and K-1000, though I feel it falls short of them.

You will need something other than a portable to drive the HD-650. Tubes are popular here (and deservedly so) but for trance and similar, you'll probably want solid state. The Gilmore Lite has good synergy, but browse the For Sale Forum and see if you can't find a bargain.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 21
I am ordering my Denon ahd5000's this Friday for X-Mas. I haven't tried Denons yet. But the AT AH900's were nice and reference quality. Now it sounds like you like "Fun" cans and I got a pair of Beyer DT990 2005 version and they are amazingly fun. They are by no means reference HF's, but WOW. I can see why some people call themselve's "BeyerHeads"

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going with the HD650

Good choice!
Lots of Head-Fi'ers started with them, and seems pleased. Some don't even want to go anywhere else...

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nowickia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you seeing that the Denons are more expensive? You can buy them brand new for less than $200, granted many places are out of stock. If you're getting HD650s for less than that please let me know where!

Well I said if the "goodness" justifys the price then the price doesn't matter, from what I've heard the HD650s a solid pair of headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good choice!
Lots of Head-Fi'ers started with them, and seems pleased. Some don't even want to go anywhere else...

Thanks, I thought about getting them quite a few times.. In fact I think I nearly bought them a few years ago but couldn't justify spending £200 on headphones.. Pah! how that went out the window

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #21 of 21
What about beyerdynamic dt880 or dt990. Similar in price to each other but probably less than the HD650. From what I read, the dt880 are better with sound stage and realism whereas the dt990s are a little more fun and have improved bass. Now if I could only get my hands on one of those to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back