What high quality RCA type cables should I buy to replace my cheap, thin Radio Shack cables?
Jul 26, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 13
I buy cables from BlueJeans Cables. Excellent build quality.

If you want to try more exotic materials, I strongly recommend buying a $5 soldering iron and making your own. It's easy and there are tutorials here.

Otherwise, you'll fork out several hundred in pure profit for $20-$50 of material. You can learn to make your own in an hour or two. It's worth it.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I buy cables from BlueJeans Cables. Excellent build quality.

If you want to try more exotic materials, I strongly recommend buying a $5 soldering iron and making your own. It's easy and there are tutorials here.

Otherwise, you'll fork out several hundred in pure profit for $20-$50 of material. You can learn to make your own in an hour or two. It's worth it.

Where do you get the material from?

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 13
I don't know, Kiteki. Sorry. I've only built simple cables, the last being a pair of speaker cables made from Home Depot wire and banana plugs I found at Radio Shack. They work great, but I don't know where to find more exotic materials.

However, there are quite a few threads about building cables in the DIY Forum, so I'd look there. You should find quite a few builds and mentions of where the materials came from.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Check out the DIY section of the forum and this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/71148/diy-cable-gallery

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 13
My thanks to you. Am dealing with cognitive decline and find am bit overwhelmed by complexity of this site and being able to find things. I advocate new design and organization. Probably not totally alone. Again appreciate your reading and responding as find way to higher and higher listening heights.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:

Where do you get the material from?

Partsconexion has a great variety of raw materials (for ICs look at 24-28 awg "hookup wire") from cheap to expensive. I agree with Erik...DIY is the best bang for buck route (for say pure silver cables) but if all you want is "premade" good quality copper types BJ is a good place to start.  If you have a lot of money invested in gear you might want to consider trying out a service like Used Cables (they allow you to test all kinds of cables from all price points). It's not the most convenient method but it beats spending a pile of money up front on more expensive types that may not work well with your system.

Cable selection is a tricky business.

Peete.

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 13
Looking for high end cables? Just buy the cheapest Kimber cables. They're probably just as good as their 1,000++ dollar cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back