What headphones with ipod - non-amped
Aug 21, 2002 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sunshine

Head-Fier
Just recevied a 10 gig ipod. Didn't even bother to open the included headphones. Instead I'm using them with Beyer 250-80 and Koss KSC35 cans. Are there other headphones I should be looking at. I guess the logical choice would be the Ety's 4p. However I'm worried how they would sound unamped from the ipod. I don't intend to get an amp for it as I want to remain as portable as possible. With the ipod I prefer the KSC35 over the beyer's, which is amazing considering the beyers cost over $150 and the ksc35 about $25. I'm worried that without an amp the ksc35 would best the 4p's or be so close that the price difference would not be justified. So what is everyone using with their ipod's? If its the ety's are they a lot better than the ksc35 straight from the ipod's jack?

Aug 21, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 13
The KSC-35 are *excellent* headphones for use with a portable -- in fact, IMO, if you don't need "closed" headphones, the KSC-35 are the best portable headphones on the market. When I don't need isolation, I always use them with my portables.

As for Etys, the 4P are much more accurate, and will give you a much more high-end sound. They work great out of an iPod. And if you need isolation, they are the best there is. Their downside is that if you're moving around a lot, you get a good amount of microphonics with the cable (meaning you can hear bumps and scrapes, as well as your own footfalls and even breathing sometimes
wink.gif
).

In addition, the KSC-35, IMO, provide a "fun" sound -- they're very enjoyable to use portably. I personally prefer it to the "better" sound of the Etys sometimes when I'm exercising, walking around, etc.

I own both and use them both very often for portable use.

Aug 21, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 13
The four phones I use with my iPod are:

Ety 4P
Sennheisser MX500
Koss KSC-35
Grado SR-60

The MX500's are tough to beat for $17. Don't worry about not using an amp with the 4P's. The iPod is ultraportable. Just use with the buds. I tried it with a Cosmic and Total Airhead. Yeah it sounded somewhat better. But in the portable enviorment, I don't think you need an amp(too bulky). Right now I'm in the backyard surfing on an iBook with Airport listening to my 20 gig iPod with MX500's.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Right now I'm in the backyard surfing on an iBook with Airport listening to my 20 gig iPod with MX500's

Niiiiiicce!
cool.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 13
I wouldn't worry too much about amping an iPod unless you intend to use low-sensitivity phones. I use both 5 and 20GB models with a variety of phones including the W2002, Ety4P, Sony D66, E888 and others. I have a CHA47, but never use it with the iPods.

If you decide to go with the Etys, you might consider replacing the extremely microphonic stock cable with FixUp's model. It effectively eliminates the noise problem and makes the Etys even more portable.

Before buying a cheaper player, even one with twice the iPod's capacity, it's important to actually handle an iPod. Comparing it to other players is like comparing a Rolex to a Timex.

Aug 24, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 13
The KSC-35's have a 60-ohm impedance, which might make them a bit soft for using the iPod. However, they'll still sound great. Of course, the ER-4P's are the ticket if you can swing it.

Aug 24, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
If the KSC-35 sound great out of my 5mWpc Sony E900, I think they'll be just fine out of the 30mWpc iPod
biggrin.gif

They do.

Aug 24, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 13
Sounds like I'll probably get the Etys then. I know even if I try out others cans I'll eventually end up the them since as the consensus is that they are the best for the ipod. Might as well go straight for the best. Probably have to sell the beyer 250-80's to finance the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back