What Headphones To Buy?
Dec 13, 2009 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BASGTA

100+ Head-Fier
I'm semi-new here, I've read a few reviews and threads etc. but haven't really posted much before. Anyway, I'm looking for some headphones, I don't really have a budget, but from $75 - $125 would be good. Now for some details...

I listen to just about everything, trance, house, dubstep, gabber, metal, hip-hop, rock, indie, industrial, screamo, pop, punk etc. Just about everything really. I just have some random cheap sound card. I'm not looking to buy an amp, but if I have to I will. Portability would be nice but not a must. Open or close are good. I'll be wearing them for long durations as well so comfortability is appreciated. I'm willing to mod them to squeeze more quality out of them as well. I also make some mixes as well.

I've been looked at the RP-21s on eBay for $100 for a while now, apparently they're pretty good after some burn-in.

Anyway, help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 20
I'm trying to look for some good reviews on those cans but I've only found one. They seem pretty good from the tiny bit I've read so far. Very portable and the sound quality is impressive apparently. A nice price for them as well. Any others you would recommend or any reviews that would be good to read?

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados should do good for you would recommend the SR80i.

I do suggest too. If you have a limited budget, SR60/60i may serve you. Grados are good unamped.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BASGTA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, first proper review I've found and it has both of these cans in them. Review. Would you guys agree with this guy?

Sure. People have different opinions.

How about the MS1? Love them.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. People have different opinions.

How about the MS1? Love them.

x2

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 20
Hmm, it seems the AD700 are pretty good. I'd get them for sure, but they're not the most portable looking out of the three, so if I do get them I probably wouldn't take them out with me.

Thanks guys, any more would be nice.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 20
ad700's for trance, house, dubstep and hip-hop are absolutely terrrible!!! I can not stress this enough. Ad700's have absolutely no bass whatsoever. For gaming the ad700's are one of the best, for music I haven't found a genre I like them with.

Grados are pretty much 1 trick pony. Outside of rock they really lack.

It really sounds like you need an all around can. I know it is a little above your budge but I just bought a pair of Denon 2000's from Amazon for $212 +8 for shipping =$220. The are a tad bass heavy but with every genre they sound extremely good. Its also nice that you do not need an amp for them, although an amp does help the sound out.

If portability is an issue the 2000's might not be a good option. With this said the ad700's are bigger then the 2000's and both the ad700's and Grados leak sound out of them so that everyone around you can hear what you are listening too at almost the same exact volume.

Edit: Also the ad700's move around alot if you are not standing still.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 20
Grado 1 trick pony? I've greatly enjoyed them with various genres, varying from electronic to rock to classical pieces. You got to like the energetic lively Grado sound, but if you do it's wonderful with many things.

Sennheiser makes some good 'more all-round' models, like the HD555. More laid back and very comfortable.

For portable use you could consider the ES7. It is closed, so more isolation than any open model and sounds a bit like a closed Grado. Good bass for electronic music.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 20
You know what you might like?

The Sennheiser 212's, easily one of the lightest headphones out there. Excellent sound isolation (almost complete noise cancelling). And the bass is extremely good, alot of people don't like how much bass there is.

They are like a grown-up version of skullcrushers. Very nice mids and highs along with a bass that is extremely deep. The ONLY issues I had with them is I personally didn't like how they looked and after about 2 1/2 hours they always seemed to fatigue me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back