What headphones next?
Mar 5, 2012 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RedFangBangBang

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My Shure 840's broke and it doesn't look like Shure will replace them even though they are still within the warranty.  The build quality of the Shure's was poor (the plastic adjuster snapping when taking them off) and Shure support is bad too. 

Apart from that, I liked the sound of the Shure 840's however they weren't that comfortable for long periods (after 1-2 hours they became a little bit uncomfortable).

So my question is this - what would you recommend next?  I want some headphones that are closed back, comfortable, and the build quality is good/excellent (i.e. not plasticky) and the sound surpasses the Shure 840's.

I was looking at these: AKG Q701 Quincy Jones

I also use the FiiO E7 Portable Headphone DAC Amplifier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Not sure about the budget, though I suggest you take a look at these:

Beyerdynamic DT770 (closed back, comfortable, bass-oriented, some may say its mids are recessed. Personally, I don't own it, so don't take my word for it, but I have tried it in a local store and I personally don't feel any recession in the mids. I own the DT990 myself.)

If you want something a little more higher end, consider the Beyer T70. (Search for reviews round here.) I have owned several headphones, audio technicas, senns, and the like, but I personally feel the Beyers make for some of the most comfy listening experiences in the current headphone lineup.

As usual, these are my opinions. YMMV. It's best to see if you can audition these before buying.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Shure won't replace them if you don't buy them from an authorised dealer (i.e. the dealers listed on their website) so if you buy them from an airport or online or anywhere not on their list, they say the warranty is invalid.  I rang them up and the guy wasn't very helpful and basically blamed me for not reading the warranty before I bought them.   Does anyone read the warranty before they buy goods?

They don't reply to my emails either.  I would never buy from Shure again.  The build is bad (obviously as they broke) and other people have had the same problem with Shure 840's so even if they bothered fixing or replacing them, they would break again.

Thanks for all your responses, I will have a look at the your recommendations freakhistorian :)

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
While I would suggest the AKG Q701s as I love mine, if closed back is what you are looking for then they won't be what you want.  They are open headphones.

plus..the E7 is not powerful enough for them. (is a nice dac though)

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 13
My bad, thought the AKG's were closed, must have got them mixed up with another pair.  Although they do look very good. Shame my dac can't handle it as I wouldn't mind trying them.

The Beyer's look nice too.  I really am quite undecided...

Thanks again all.  I'll continue the research...

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 13
If you wanted the same sound, AKG recently released a closed pair of headphones that I have heard sound similar to the K701/Q701. http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K550-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B006IBILRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330975879&sr=1-1

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 13
I read warranty before I buy. The quality isn't bad. It's just average, how you use them depends on it. While I am saddened by their "authorized dealer" only policy the SRH series are still widely recommended with most having no problems. Searching up problems, like searching up with any product will of course give results.

Ultrasone's is also a viable next headphone option.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 13
I think the warranty issue is a bit sad on their part really.  If I like a brand I normally buy again and recommend to friends etc.  So maybe it's their loss.

I also think that when I buy my next pair of headphones I will buy accidental cover or something similar. I hate to buy that kinda thing but for £30 extra maybe it's worth it.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Buy from an authorized seller and you are covered.  How can anyone expect a manufacturer to cover purchase from non-authorized retailer, product control goes out the window, including protection from fakes.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Buy from an authorized seller and you are covered.  How can anyone expect a manufacturer to cover purchase from non-authorized retailer, product control goes out the window, including protection from fakes.

that's a good one that i forgot about.
looking oneline,...i find that Shure's online autorized retailers.....are actually the one's that sell the Shure's online anyway... i hear of Musciian friend, sweet water, B&H, guitar center with online pages selling Shure's all the time

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 13
True, but the warranty I just read doesn't mention authorised sellers and furthermore they clearly state all you need is proof of purchase.  But anyway the fault has happened on other Shure headphones authorised seller or not and some have been lucky enough to get a replacement.  I will keep trying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back