what headphones have TIGHT IMPACTFUL BASS that you can feel?
Jul 30, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #17 of 39
If sheer impact was all he wanted, actually the K1000 is the best IMO, very tight and impactful, but it lacks depth and volume.

The SA5000 combines nearly unparalelled tightness with excellent impact and depth, with what I would call ideal volume.

The DT 770 and PS1 sacrifice tightness for impact and volume, both with excellent depth.

Jul 30, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 39
probably not practical for most people
hd580 etc and a subwoofer, turn the sub on when you want some fun. maybe with very strict crossover or high pass filter. (still havent figured this part out yet)

Jul 30, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
noob qustion, if a headpone like htis is supposed to be punchy, then wouldnt have to be tight?

Not nessisarilly, it could have a lot and get some impact, but still be loose.

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyco1
Not nessisarilly, it could have a lot and get some impact, but still be loose.

Tight and powerful overwhelming impact - Cannon, anyone? Example - PS-1.

Loose but powerful overwhelming impact - water from a hose on a fire truck. Or a big 'ol tidal wave. Example- DT770.

Tight and big but not deeeeep impact - a wild punch from Mike Tyson. Example - John Grado RS-1.

Tight, not that big or as deep, but will do the damage - a "sweet science" calculated punch from Oscar de la Hoya - Joe Grado HP-2

Loose and big but not deep, what folks call "boomy" - having a mattress fall on you - KSC-35

If the mattress is a posturpedic mattress = a little tighter = KSC-35 with the 75 ohm adapter.

If the mattress is a waterbed = ipod buds.

Ninja bass, that is there, you just don't notice it until you look for it - scuba diving and you feel the pressure all around you, subtly = K501, SA5K

Where did the bass go - Kaz Matsui swings and misses at the plate - ATH-CM3 buds.

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 39
LMAO, awesome and funny comparison. that actually helps me understand the bass even more hahaha.

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Tight and powerful overwhelming impact - Cannon, anyone? Example - PS-1.

Loose but powerful overwhelming impact - water from a hose on a fire truck. Or a big 'ol tidal wave. Example- DT770.

Tight and big but not deeeeep impact - a wild punch from Mike Tyson. Example - John Grado RS-1.

Tight, not that big or as deep, but will do the damage - a "sweet science" calculated punch from Oscar de la Hoya - Joe Grado HP-2

Loose and big but not deep, what folks call "boomy" - having a mattress fall on you - KSC-35

If the mattress is a posturpedic mattress = a little tighter = KSC-35 with the 75 ohm adapter.

If the mattress is a waterbed = ipod buds.

Ninja bass, that is there, you just don't notice it until you look for it - scuba diving and you feel the pressure all around you, subtly = K501, SA5K

Where did the bass go - Kaz Matsui swings and misses at the plate - ATH-CM3 buds.

Haha, very interesting analogy. especially the Ninja bass.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 39
That was great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

So would you say the SA5K bass is similar to the K501 bass? I own the K501 but have never heard the SA5K.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephemere
That was great.

So would you say the SA5K bass is similar to the K501 bass? I own the K501 but have never heard the SA5K.

Both are very airy/dry/tight, but the SA5K has more slam than the K501 in that dept - and across the board actually.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephemere

I don't think they are much alike. To me the K501 definitely seemed lacking in bass volume and impact, whereas the SA5000 is much better in both respects, with a well-balanced volume, and excellent slam.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #26 of 39
Are DT770s only good for their bass? I'm kind of a basshead, so I'm interested in them, but if that's all that they are good for I'd like to invest my money elsewhere.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Are DT770s only good for their bass? I'm kind of a basshead, so I'm interested in them, but if that's all that they are good for I'd like to invest my money elsewhere.

They have screaming mimi highs too
biggrin.gif

But seriously, with the right rig they are downright audiophile quality. Romanee ran my Darth Beyers through a Channel Islands amp via the Headroom Overture DAC and that combo made the beast sound like a country gentleman - very refined and gobs of detail, great soundstage (as always btw) and mids weren't in the back at all. Actually worked well with delicate music like Jazz, believe it or not.

But then again, that's with a nice synergetic combo of amp/source, and my cans were modded. But there is gold in them hills!

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure

I think the DT770 has very good soundstage for a closed can, as well as excellent extension, and good detail. The 80 ohm version is a top-value closed can IMO, while the 250 has a sub-par midrange (think an enhanced MDR-V6), and of course they all have the great Beyer comfort. The bass is the main attraction, but it is not the only performer at the show.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #29 of 39
Anyone live in Maryland or (close by) want to exchange headphones just for testing purpose. I'm interested in listening to some Grado, Beyer or the phones being recommended here.

Jul 31, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #30 of 39
I own both the 595s and the dt 770s. Its a pretty nice complinmentary pair, the beyers obviously excell for bass and the 595s in the mids. I wouldn't say the 770's mids are that bad really, not as great as the 505s but still good. If your wanting a lot of bass, its worth the trade off really.

Though lately ive been thinking of seeling both and getting some sa5000, damn you headfi!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back