what headphones have TIGHT IMPACTFUL BASS that you can feel?
Jul 31, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #31 of 39
I nominate DT770 and MS2. Of course the Beyer has the resonance and thunders with authority, the MS2 packs some punch as well. I certainly wouldn't call the MS2 bass shy, and it is tighter sounding than the Beyer.

Jul 31, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #32 of 39
I disagree that the DT770 has "loose" bass when well amped.

Jul 31, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #33 of 39
I think the 'recessed mids' of the 770 is wayyyyyy overrated. At best, they sometimes (not often) sound just a little thin, but this depends a lot on the recording quality as well. However i can relate in the sense that if i absolutely HAD to choose the weakest area with these cans, the midrange would be it. But they still great. Put some michael buble on, and tell me this can doesnt have mids. You'd be lying through your teeth if you did.

There is a bit of shizzle in the high end which makes music a lot more enjoyable to listen to. I dont have issues with sibilance except for poorly recorded mp3s which is something i rarely listen to (everything on my player is .wav, pretty much)

The bass has incredible presence. A heavy, domineering sound which 95% of the time is very welcome. However i think that people also overrate the punchiness of the bass. It hits like a sledgehammer, but doesnt slam as much as one would think. I'm not sure if this makes sense. I can't help but feel that there might be punchier cans out there, but i havent heard of, or seen one, yet (i'm taking suggestions!).

They isolate really well and as someone said earlier, have great staging for a closed can. They can be a little hard to drive so you'll need a decent amp to get full performance out of them. A little bass boost should help you lots as well if you feel the inclination (i've lately been using bass boost on my supermacro more and more and am really enjoying it) but of course YMMV.

Oddly enough, i wouldnt consider these cans bass heavy at all out of the box without boost. It just has a lot more bass than people would expect coming out of a pair of headphones

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #35 of 39
What about the Sony SA5000? I've heard they have the tightest bass around.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #36 of 39
No headphone will give that subwoofer level of bass. Audio Technica has introduced a unique system called DADS to some of their headphones, that is essentially a little chamber that traps and releases air to sort of tickle your ear-drum to provide the illusion of bass waves in a room. I found the sensation pleasant (called it "ear-massage"). Others found it distracting. Do a search on DADS it's been discussed a lot.

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #38 of 39
D770 is not tight. Not by a long shot.

It's flabby, woolly and all over the place
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #39 of 39
I see Headroom says the DT770 has "no mids". Why are they still praised so much? I used to own HD590s and they had huge amounts of bass, and great highs, which sounds very much like an open version of the DT770. Yet the HD590 is pretty much shunned here since it also has a lack of midrange (that in my opinion didn't improve much with amping)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back