what headphones have TIGHT IMPACTFUL BASS that you can feel?
Jul 30, 2005 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

sirnice

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the HD595 (50 ohm version), while the bass is there but I don't think the bass is tight enough. I want something that I can feel the bass striking my ears. Would the HD600 be a better choice in that department? The HD595s have excellent detail as well so I want something similiar to that as well but just with tighter bass.

I would like to hear some recommendations.

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The Beyer DT770s and Grado PS-1's are tops in the bass impact department.

I'm not sure the 770 has what could be called tight bass. There's a lot of it and it goes deep, but it's not nearly as tight as Grados bass.

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 39
While it has a thinner sound, and the quantity doesn't match the PS-1, the SA5k surprisingly has bass that comes from nowhere and whacks you upside the head. Very tight, very impactful.

I'm not familar with the Beyers, but the PS-1 is certainly the king of bass for me. I like the HD600 bass, but its nowhere near the PS-1 for tightness/impact.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
isn't the bass of um2 good enough?

Yeah, it's pretty good but again it's not tight. My E4cs have tighter bass than the UM2 but just not as much.

I want a headphone for home use.

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 39
I strongly disagree with the SA5000's recommendations here. Do they have tight bass? For sure. It is impactful and can you "feel" it? Not at all. For impactful bass the ps-1s and 770s and even the hd650's to a degree are better choices.

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
I strongly disagree with the SA5000's recommendations here. Do they have tight bass? For sure. It is impactful and can you "feel" it? Not at all. For impactful bass the ps-1s and 770s and even the hd650's to a degree are better choices.

Hmm, I suppose part of the reason why I find the SA5k's bass to be impactful is because of how thin the sound is otherwise. I do find it has surprising impact - moreso than the HD650/Zu did for my ears - though I certainly had no complaints about the full body bass of the HD650. But maybe because the HD650 has such a rich/full sound, the bass seemed relatively less impactful?

Regardless, the PS-1 is certainly a clear class ahead as it's got massive amounts of both quantity and quality of bass. It's why I got mine!

I think if the original poster likes the E4, he'd like the SA5k. Similar signature with even clearer, detailed sound but with a nice bit more bass.

Best,

-Jason

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 39
grados with cpads still wont go as deep as a dt770, but it will capture air and slam it back into your ears.

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 39
Grado PS-1, hands down: Tight, impactful and deep. From the headphones I've heard nothing comes even close (though I haven't heard the Stax Omega, Sony R10, Qualia, L3000 or Sennheiser Orpheus yet). Too much bass for me though.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770-80 also has lots of bass that is surprisingly tight on top of that. However, it's simply outshined on many other aspects when compared to really high end headphones.

My favourite headphone that combines tightness with the right amount of bass has to be the Sony SA5000. I don't like its midrange and treble though
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyco1
I'm not sure the 770 has what could be called tight bass. There's a lot of it and it goes deep, but it's not nearly as tight as Grados bass.

noob qustion, if a headpone like htis is supposed to be punchy, then wouldnt have to be tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back