What headphones give the best value?
Aug 22, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #16 of 30
Quite honestly, whatever headphone you end up with for the long term. My Grado's have been with me for about 8 years now, or about $12/yr., much less then I was spending on earbuds in high school. People who have been happy with their HD580's for ten years are also in this category, despite the huge $200 pricepoint.

To those people who buy new and sell a month later, I love you for it, but your wallet is crying.

For initial value, have to add my vote to the SR-60's. You'll love them or hate them, but if you love them the value is insane. You can find used MS1's up to SR-125's (if you are lucky) at this pricepoint as well.

Buying used offers up insane deals deals in audio. Headphone depreciation makes new cars look like a solid investment.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 30
Sorry guys, I didn't make myself quite clear. I'm not looking for an upgrade to the KSC75 - I'm looking for a pair more comfortable for long time use at a computer, so I've figured circum-aural headphones are the best for that job.

I can accept that fact that I'm not going to get an upgrade to the KSC75 without spending a ton of money, but I'm not especially looking for a pair of headphones that will sound better, even though they'd be circum-aural headphones which I assume are usually the best.

The main importance is that they sound decent, and are cheap. Aesthetics are also a plus, but cheap is the most important. $30 is the absolute max I'd be willing to spend at the moment, and something like $20 is very preferable.

On a side note, how does the Koss UR21 sound? I've seen that for a decent price, and I generally can't find a good and cheap selection of headphones in Toronto.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 30
FOTM last month was the Accura SR-660. They were cheap, full sized circumaural headphones. They sounded decent, and are available at Loblaw's stores (Zehrs, Real Canadian Superstore). There's a thread on here about them, that got quite large.

I'm just an hour south of Toronto, so I know the difficulties in finding headphones. If those SR-660's interest you (i'll try and dig up the thread for you), and you can't find any, I have an extra pair I purchased because they were $20. I'm sure we could work something out if you wish
smily_headphones1.gif

Off to find that thread!

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some at Head-Fi have posted their preference for the Senn PX100 over the Koss KSC75. However, I suggest if you're looking for a step up from the KSC75, you spluge for a modded PX100 for ~$33. You could win one on eBay for $24 shipped and buy the HD414 pads for $9 on eBay or from Sennheiser.

for 24$ shipped i would assume they are fakes px100s right?

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #20 of 30
SR660 are not quite where the KSC75 is, you'll have to recable the accura's to get there.
For $8 the accura's are great, but not $15 or $20. SR660's are cool looking and can be modded to accept other drivers, install a set of KSC75/35/55 drivers then you will get good sound and good look at the same time. However they still won't sound as good as the QP45x (to my ears that is. Too bad not too many people like the QP45x sound)

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 30
I still recommend the UR40, at the $30 mark... Its more than just a KSC75 with drivers suspended over the ears.

IMHO the biggest flaw of the KSC is its at times bloated/congested bass. The UR40 alleviates this to a small degree, by spacing out the drivers. It also has better image and soundstage abilities.

Note that IMHO they sound more open and ambient with the foam removed from the earcups. As a Grado fan you should keep in mind my preference for brighter sounding cans.

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still recommend the UR40, at the $30 mark... Its more than just a KSC75 with drivers suspended over the ears.

IMHO the biggest flaw of the KSC is its at times bloated/congested bass. The UR40 alleviates this to a small degree, by spacing out the drivers. It also has better image and soundstage abilities.

Note that IMHO they sound more open and ambient with the foam removed from the earcups. As a Grado fan you should keep in mind my preference for brighter sounding cans.

I actually tend to enjoy bright headphones too, though I have little experience with any. I'll keep an eye out for the UR40, but what do you think of the UR20 or the UR21? I've seen the UR21 in many places, and they look sorta cool, at least
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually tend to enjoy bright headphones too, though I have little experience with any. I'll keep an eye out for the UR40, but what do you think of the UR20 or the UR21? I've seen the UR21 in many places, and they look sorta cool, at least
wink.gif

In my short opinion, don't bother with either.

Aug 30, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by aris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for 24$ shipped i would assume they are fakes px100s right?

No, not fake, but not retail new either. I won a PX100 in an eBay auction for $22.99 shipped, and I am quite certain it was authentic. I received it sealed in what seemed like Sennheiser OEM packaging, not retail. The eBay seller assured me that what I received is how he received it from Sennheiser.

At this price I could not resist finding out what it sounded like, and basically I found it to be an inexpensive introduction to the Sennheiser sound. I only kept it a few days and returned it for the following reasons: 1) I have no need for portable cans, 2) my HD580 sounds far better (duh), and 3) I received it in less than new condition, like a "factory seconds" condition. It had a few nicks in the plastic and other minor cosmetic quibbles. It also had "factory dust" on it that I recognized from having worked in a plastics factory before.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #25 of 30
The modded HD580's... and the SR225's (if purchased from a discount retailer, or used for about $150-160).

Both of these phones have 95%+ or the best "high-end" sound - at less than $200 - real values!

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #26 of 30
The only phones that come to mind that will meet (and possibly exceed) the OPs criteria are the KOSS UR40s, as Kramer already mentioned. Those criteria being:

Sound as good as the KSC-75s - check
Circum-aural so they are more comfy than the KSC-75s - check
Less than $30 - check

Yep, you want a pair of UR40s.

Also, as a 'budget hound' keep in mind that if you do go with the UR40s, they come with one of the best warranties in the business. If they ever break simply mail them back to KOSS with a check for $6 and they will send you a brand new pair, no questions asked.

With all of that said, I seriously doubt you are going to beat a pair of UR40s, especially when a criteria/performance/value ratio is considered. The only other phones that may do it for you are the Sennheiser 201s, but I am not a fan of the way they sound, especially when compared to some of the KOSS products in the same price range.

Now if you can raise your budget to the $55 price range, then a whole new category of quality phones will open up. If you can really raise the stakes, and up your budget to $70, then you can get a pair of SR-60s, and you will be quite impressed with them. If you really want your mind blown, raise your budget to $99. Then you can pick from 1 of the 3 top value/performance phones that are out right now (IMHO): Alessandro MS-1s, Equation Audio RP-21s, or Denon D1000s. After which you will likely sell (or get rid of) all or most of of your cheapy phones and live happily ever after in complete and utter audio bliss.

If it were me, I would rather spend $99 and buy 1 exceptional pair of headphones, as opposed to $99 worth of 'ok' cheapy headphones. Quality over quantity for me!

Welcome to Head-Fi, where no one's wallet is safe.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #27 of 30
I have to throw in my vote for the Yuin PK-3. I cannot believe the sound coming out of this earbud un-amped through an x5! I actually have been listening to them more than my sr-60's and my er4p's!! Great little earbud.

todd

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #29 of 30
lmilhan has a great point.

I went through so many Sony, Panasonic, Koss headphones in the past. They were cheap, but after buying 10 of them over the years, it stacks up.

Plastic vs steal/magnesium frames, hard to break those. Plastic hinges, oops they dropped, dam have to buy another 30-40 dollar headphone. Oh noes the driver went dead, its only been a year. Buy another headphone. Put em in your bag, carry to work and school, dam end of the year they all messed up. Buy another headphone. Expensive don't you think?

From the forums, how can you resist trying one of the grados. From user reviews and raves, you already know these are built well and will last you. The ear pads easily replacable. I mean people who have headphone and amps well out of my price range still rave about the SR-60 and SR-80.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #30 of 30
Okay, I've thought a little bit. mbd, you make a very good point. I have a distinct memory of accidentally stepping on a pair a few years ago, and metal phones would not have broken at the time. However, up until a few months ago, I was used to listening to music with iPod headphones, which sound awful compared to the EP630 or KSC75. I'm going to slowly step it up, and my first move when it comes to headphones for my computer is from the $10 JVC HA-G11 to $20-$40 headphones. A long while after that, if my budget allows, I might spring for the HD280 or HD595, or some other expensive pair.

However, for now, I'm going to take small steps. It looks like I'll skip the UR20 if I can help it, and go for the UR40 or HD-201, whichever one I see first. Of course, I've never seen either. Could anyone help me out and tell me where in the Toronto or Buffalo area I can get either of them? I don't really know any places to get these elusive budget headphones that sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back