What headphones for Trance, DnB, Dubstep, IDM, Techno, Electro and some Alternative Rock?
Sep 3, 2014 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

C4L18R3

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!  It's my first post here so be gentle.  I'm currently on the lookout for a new set of headphones.  I currently use Sennheiser MM30i in-ear ones and it's actually doing a great job.  For the longest time I've been tempted to upgrade to an on-ear or over-the-ear  one but the desire to keep it compact or travel/commute friendly has stopped me for checking out anything else in the market.

Recent complaints from my colleagues at work about my music leaking out of my headphones has pushed me to audition some of the stuff that's offered and I really like the isolation factor of 'proper' headphones - don't get me wrong, my Sennheiser really ticks all the boxes when it comes to bass power and clarity but now I need ones that really keep the music inside to keep the peace at the office.

So gents (and ladies), what can you recommend for my type of music on a budget of USD200-250?  If it seals the music in and is travel-friendly that's a bonus!  Also fyi, I really listen to a wide range of genres but tend to gravitate towards Electronica when I need to focus or relax.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 8
How can your colleagues hear your music? Is there a chance the seal between your ear and the eartip is a bit leaky, or do you just listen at ungodly volumes?

You've mentioned bass power and clarity, but do you want a similar sound? Is there anything you've wanted to hear more clearly in the music? Or have there been parts which you're not so keen on?

Also what do you listen for? Bass thump, harmonics, soundstage etc? All this can help narrow the field.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 8
I like my music loud with no sound coming from the outside world so the music leaks and disturbs my colleagues.  In my car I play my SQ setup at a level where I feel like I'm "swimming" in the music.  I had a hearing test done last year and found that my ears and hearing are in perfect working order.  I now live in a different country and commute to work but have the Sennheisers to keep me happy.

I am not much into the technical stuff but I do know what I want (hearing-wise).  I tried out the V-Moda M100 and understand the "fun" factor people are talking about.  Personally I love the bass which I think is mind-blowing BUT... it lacks what I would call, in my limited knowledge, clarity. Playing the same songs on a JBL Sychros I knew the V-Moda lost some elements in the mid to high range.  The JBL on the other hand sounded well but lacked the bass of the V-Moda or what I'd call the 'warmth' of the Sennheisers I'm using.  I hope I'm making sense LOL.

Unfortunately, there I couldn't audition any more units as the shop owners here in Hong Kong are not really the accomodating type (they really just want your money).  This led me seeking help here at Head-Fi.

I noticed there is a similar query here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728309/best-headphones-for-trance-dubstep-house-electronic-rap-hip-hop-and-rock-please-suggest-and-help-me-im-so-confused-and-a-newbie

Thanks.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 8
... and going through the link above, I just want to add that I listen to my music on an iPhone 4S.  This headphone upgrade of mine should work without having to use amps (I don't want to carry and spend too much).  Thanks.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 8
I too wanted some great headphones for techno. I found a tract that really pushes the capabilities of a headphone, it totally stresses a headphones ability to be fast, hard, clear and have depth and clarity and punch of base...I tried about 2 thousand dollars worth of headphones reccomended on this site to be "bass monsters " like the Ultrazone 9000, HI-FiMan 500s, bought a HI-FIMan amp etc.....I WANTED  to like the reall expensive Ultrazone 9000, everyone raves about it, however it, and all the others really flunked, fell flat on their faces, I was really surprised and dissapointed....Finally, I tried a headphone that skunked all the others, it's relatively cheap, I felt guilty liking this headphone the best, but it trully stands head and shoulders above the all of the expencive exotic models....It's by SOL Republic, it's the Sole Republic Tracks Ultra HD....F#@*ing fast, hard, sharp, nothing else at any price could " Punch " like this headphone, they offer a few more expensive models, but this is the one to have.....This is my test track, find it on youtube Dave Nadz & LeBlanc Haamiah  Not my most favorit track in the world...but - Reason is, it has adeep hard clear base beat, particularly in the middle...that when played through a headphone trully reveals wether or not the headphone has balls.

Believe me, I would have paid probably up to $ 700, if I could find another hp that could have surpassed it...don't let the price fool you. It just so happens to be a very cool modern hip looking hp too. I would have bought the old geezer looking Graddos, if it could have done the job the best, just so happens that the hp that hits like Mike Tyson just happens to look " cool "...I am an audiophile, like clasical music, jazz, you name it...but I wanted a hp that could handle all of the extreemes, for instance the ultra low deep resonance of a huge organ pipe in an organ recital...nothing can like the SOL...

Trust me, I spent the thousands to figure it out, I " DID my Homework "....take the money you save, and put it rather into a upper end headphone amp, my reccomendation would be either the Schiit Lyr, or Violectric HPA V200 ($$$) seems crazy to spend more on an amp than the headphone, but I spent the money to find out the hardway....it's sort of like buying a shelby cobra (old school) and putting a crate engine in it....Try the combination, you don't like, you can return...don't go cheapo on the amp though...There are many here on this site who like the FIIO amps ( cheapo ) so I figured I'd give them a try....are they better than no amp, yes, do they make your music somewhat "louder" yes....but you're just getting a louder version of a peice of music, that doesn't bring out the "Punch"....deep base peices like the above will still sound "squashed", just louder...Sounds confusing, but follow my advice and you'll see. My SOL hp combined with my Schiit Lyr, combined with above Haamiah...close your eyes and imagine Mike Tyson speed boxing some pencil head...blap blap blap.....remember - GET THE AMP TOO, if you get the cheapo Fiio amp, you'll think your satisfied, like some guy on an island f'ing some fat girl, thinking he's in heaven, but not knowing about girls like you probably saw at the mall recently....You know what I mean......

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the 598 hd and the m50x's i found the m50x's great for on the go, make want to move with the kind of aggressive bass and treble, are affordable and work fine with my note 10.1. there are louder than the 598's because of the lower impendance... someone cant go wrong with these for progressive house or dance music and rnb. specially if play with the eq...

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Ok so I go out and audition a number of headphones based on the recommendations here and what's available in the Hong kong market.  The list included the following - Beyerdynamic DT770, Audio Technica ATH-M50, V-Moda M100, Marshall Monitor among other brands like Sony, Philips, AKG, Denon...

I chose the Sennheiser Momentum!  It is not as bass heavy as some but the sound is absolutely amazing!  The Beyerdynamic DT770 had the clarity I really lusted after (but to me, it needed an amp to really shine).  Of all, the V-Moda was the best when it came to raw bass power but lacked punch in the mids and highs.  It actually floored me the minute I put it on and set my songs to loud but it was too obvious that the mids and highs got sent somewhere far in the back.

Here are the tracks I used to test:
Helios - First Dream Called Ocean (Stray Remix)
Strife II - Year In The Rain
Entity & Chwhynny - Can You Hear The Silence
Aaron Static - Intrepid Journey
...and for good measure
Smashing Pumpkins - Rocket

The fit and finish of the Momentum is very much to my taste and the sound is, again, just amazing. 

I'm a happy camper
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back