What headphones do you use in your cinema room
Mar 19, 2007 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

monkeyleader

New Head-Fier
My Sennheiser wireless phones are playing up so it's time to get a new set of bins - I'm thinking wired this time.

Just wondering what headphones you use in your cinema room.

Finding review of headphones for use in the gaming / movie environment is pretty tricky as most cover music.

Any recommendations (budget of around £150) on a pair of headphones for movie / gaming use.

cheers,

Nige

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 39
Cinema room? Erm, if you mean the room with the telly in it then none, I use big-ass speakers.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cinema room? Erm, if you mean the room with the telly in it then none, I use big-ass speakers.
biggrin.gif

And for 70% of the time so do I, but there are occasions when I want to watch movies / play games when the wife is sleeping so headphones are a must, but I dont want to comprimise (too much) on the sound.

Nige

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

And for 70% of the time so do I, but there are occasions when I want to watch movies / play games when the wife is sleeping so headphones are a must, but I dont want to comprimise (too much) on the sound.

Oh and Telly ? not quite ... Projector, proper cinema room
smily_headphones1.gif

Nige

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 39
For video, I prefer the AKG K-501, hands down. When watching a movie, the dialog is most important. The human voice is in the mids, and nothing (with a few expensive exceptions) handles the mids better than the K-501.

I don't know how the K-501 would handle video games, but it excels with the human voice. Nothing else in your price range can touch it for the mids.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 39
I use HD595 for video.
My setup is Panasonic DMR-E85H>optical cable>ZhaoluD2>PS Audio GCHA>Victor SU-DH1>HD595.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 39
Some ghetto Audio Technica ATH-909s hooked up to a loud and crunchy 80's Sherwood amp.

It's alright considering the entire setup cost all of $12.50. The ATH909s lack any and all bass and distort quite badly when pushed, but they are remarkably comfy. Probably because they're mostly empty.
What's surprising is the mids and highs it does posses sound rather pleasant at moderate volumes. Like they were trying to make good headphones but had to abandon the project shortly after sorting that bit out.
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 39
This is really a useless response, but I most often use my HD600 since all I have is a 1/8" terminated extension cable and the HD600 cable is almost three feet longer than my MS-1 cable, and my MS2i cable is 1/4" so, we do what we can.
plainface.gif

....it works very well though!!

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is really a useless response, but I most often use my HD600 since all I have is a 1/8" terminated extension cable and the HD600 cable is almost three feet longer than my MS-1 cable, and my MS2i cable is 1/4" so, we do what we can.
plainface.gif

....it works very well though!!

That's exactly what I do. Nice long Cardas cable on my HD600 allows me to sit far enough away from the screen. Sound is good, although in our small house, I still worry about waking up our 5-month old baby with all the sound leaking from the cans. When my Darths arrive (soon hopefully!), I'll probably get an extension cable & use those for movie/tv listening as they're fully sealed, and are still meant to have a nice soundstage.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 39
MDR-7506 w/DT250 pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back