what headphones do you game with?
Sep 15, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 45

Quote:
I wonder what games you guys are playing that has amazing audio quality. Even games that people claim have great audio, like Crysis, sound mediocre to me.

To be honest, when playing multiplayer couldnt really care about the "quality" of the audio. I am just trying to hear everything I possibly can for situation awareness. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 45
I wonder what games you guys are playing that has amazing audio quality. Even games that people claim have great audio, like Crysis, sound mediocre to me.

probably talking about great sound effects and sound cues maybe......i know BFBC2 was pretty impressive when i played it when it came to sound cue detail. you could even hear a mosquito in the distance and fly right next to your ears. lot of horror games depend more on sound as well over video effects.

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #34 of 45

Quote:
probably talking about great sound effects and sound cues maybe......i know BFBC2 was pretty impressive when i played it when it came to sound cue detail. you could even hear a mosquito in the distance and fly right next to your ears. lot of horror games depend more on sound as well over video effects.

Horror games might have good sound, but it seems when designing the sound for most games, subtlety is not the focus. With most games developers are just trying to make explosions as punchy as possible, and gunfire as realistic as possible, and they damn the rest of the sounds. I do get pretty decent directional cues with a lot of the games I play, but I wonder why I should care when the sound effects themselves don't sound that great.

On that note, anyone ever play a RPG with ambient sounds that stay in one channel? I'll hear a bird chirping, turn around, and it stays in the same ear. It's really annoying.
mad.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #37 of 45

Quote:

Therer is more games out there then multiplayer fps :wink:... Personally when I don´t do simracing I am 100 % single player and preferr slower paced titles that let me use my head more and get my imagination going. Not gaming competively but for personal enjoyment looking for immersion :)

I wouldn´t care that much about SQ doing CS or something either I suppose.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #38 of 45
Was using Fischer FA-011's which were great but since selling them I've been using my Pro 550's.  Not quite as good for FPS but since I primarily play Starcraft with my music playing in the background I'm better off these days.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #39 of 45
It's true that first-person shooters don't usually have the best sound, or the most realistic. You're usually lucky if the gunshots sound anything like guns at all, let alone the right guns. I was actually thinking of UT2004 about the high quality music - I've always thought it had good, decently well recorded music. But I haven't actually played it in years, so my memory might be fuzzy.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #40 of 45
Always played UT with music off and an old Paul Oakenfold album playing intead (Voyage into Trance) just seemed more appropriate.

Quote:
It's true that first-person shooters don't usually have the best sound, or the most realistic. You're usually lucky if the gunshots sound anything like guns at all, let alone the right guns. I was actually thinking of UT2004 about the high quality music - I've always thought it had good, decently well recorded music. But I haven't actually played it in years, so my memory might be fuzzy.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #41 of 45

Quote:
Curious do any here feel that it ´s worse gaming with high end headphoens like HD 800 and LCD-2 then cheapass headphones. Gaming audio is supposed to be so bad it doesn´t matter? Those who tried high end headphones for gaming do you agree?

Absolutely worse. And I've hardcore CS:S'd with the Orpheus + Zalman ZM-1 combo (and tried it on many others) before I saw sense.

It's not that 'gaming audio is supposed to be bad' it's just that (like music, you could argue if you're the contrarian type) you don't strictly need capability past a certain point to be effective (and that point in gaming is IMO the DT770) and that even if some sets are slightly worse in absolutes (like the G35) that is offset by the facilities ease of use they offer on a daily gaming / general-purpose basis. It can be hard to explain tractability to fellow nerds, but I don't bother with headphones anymore for gaming. Also, a lot of people point to wide soundstage as a positioning assist, but I've never felt this to be the case. In fact, I think that if you compact down the soundstage and give it that odd S-Logic patina, that's your best bet on a regular stereo set: If you must game with a pair of chi-chi headphones, it's the reason I'd recommend an Edition 8 since it has a particularly pronounced case of the odd compacted-down effect. No, I think Dolby Headphone is more effective in this regard, and one that's integrated in operation to the headset once again for reasons of tractability.

I think the main problem with this, and the reason I appear to hold a very different view to what appears to be the status quo is that people buy one set based on the recommendations of others and are fishing the rest of the answers out of their butt, to be honest. I'd like to hear an opposing opinion, but it never seems to come from anyone who has actually owned the relevant headphones and headsets simultaneously.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #42 of 45
Maybe it´s me that is the opposite. Sometimes I feel to be the only one who isn´t into multiplayer fps or world of warcraft :wink: Whenever I read something about headphones in gaming forums  it starts and ends with trackability.

Have you compared your orpheus to your DT 770 with modern adventure games for example? It would be much more interesting then CS,

As for headsets being more into single player I don´t have that much use. I did get a zowie hammer. Don´t have any bass to speak off so it´s easy to hear where sounds come from. Probably as good as the HD 800 it that is the only thing that counts. And I mean only thing. However since I don´t care that much about this feature I am not the best to judge it. I just want the audio to be believable and true to life.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #43 of 45
Surprisingly, the DJ oriented HDJ500's do ok for gaming. Ace Combat, I can usually tell where a missile/explosion is, as the soundstage is just wide enough. It does tend itself towards being almost two dimensional but otherwise, it's sufficient for railgunning down stupid noobs in noob plane/shooting them down in a piddly F-16C fooling around in campaign and online. I will admit, the constant high pitched whine of an aircraft combined with the harsh roar of the turbofans in afterburn in the back will give you a headache quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back