What headphones are these?
Nov 15, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 13
do a search in this forum for "paul van dyk". This is the fourth thread about this video. We don't know exactly, some old quadrophonics from the days when hifi and headphones were only just getting to know one another.

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 13
I think they're cans of SPAM with the paint buffed off to a fine sheen.
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 13
Well my Grandma still has my Grandpa's old headphones from the 60s......and they don't look as archiac as those cans!!!!!

Though the idea that they're quadrophonic is a good one......would explain why they're as big as toasters. Either that, or they are toasters!!!!

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 13
They are cool looking. Would be neat to display them with your gear.

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I doubt anyone got into audio that early.

Hey! Hey! I've broken the big 5-0 and I was a little into cans back then. Koss Pro4AA, of course, and Senn 414s later. But, I don't know what those horrid things are either. I'd guess either Koss or Pioneer quadrophonic phones circa mid-70s.

...hmmmm...a little Google work...hmm...

Check these, but painted silver?

Fischer DR147Q
Fisher%20Quad%20Quadraphonic%20Headphones%201.jpg

INternational Electronics CIS-4000
International%20Electronics%20CIS-4000%204-Channel%20Headphones.JPG

Hold the phone! Look at these Panasonic EAH-41
Panasonic%20model%20EAH-41%208%20ohm%20Series%2044%20Quadraphonic%20Headphones%20%202.jpg

or these rat-shacks
Realistic%20Nova%2044%204-CHANNEL%20HEADPHONE%20Cat%20No%2033-1016%201.jpg

OMG!
RMS%20-%20Quadraphonic%20Headphones%202.jpg

It doesn't end!
Sound%204%20CHANNEL%20headphones.jpg

Oh heck, there's lots more. Just go look for yourself at this amazing quad-can resource page by Mark Anderson. Somebody should hunt him down and invite him to a headphone meet.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
AAaauugh! Make it stop!

Us oldsters shouldn't be made to live through Headphone Hell twice!

Tell Grado that
gs1000.gif
. Only joking. Grados look sooooo cool.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 13
It would be neat to actually listen to a quad headphone.....but since quadrophonic went out with the leisure suite, I'm guessing that finding source material will be pretty hard. Though I guess there must be a way to get 4 channel output from a DVD player and pre-amp.....

Though there's also the issue of old headphones not sounding as good as new ones. I remember the first headphones I ever inherited were late 70s Pioneers.....they were slightly more dynamic then paper cups on strings!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Oh heck, there's lots more. Just go look for yourself at this amazing quad-can resource page by Mark Anderson. Somebody should hunt him down and invite him to a headphone meet.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
It would be neat to actually listen to a quad headphone.....but since quadrophonic went out with the leisure suite, I'm guessing that finding source material will be pretty hard. Though I guess there must be a way to get 4 channel output from a DVD player and pre-amp.....

Easily done - just plug 'em in. Remember that Quadrophonic sound is simply stereo from the front and the back. These oldies look like they simply have dual drivers per cup, situated in the front and back for "surround sound".

As far as Quad Stereo going out, I guess I'll have to hit Value Village for some crushed velevet duds, as the only thing keeping my stereo from going quad is a current lack of space. Once I get a room set up, new speakers will be bought and I will be in heaven.
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Though they were intended for 4 channel sources.....notice they all have switches for going from 2 channel stereo to 4 channel quad. They also have dual stereo plugs for those specially designed quadraphonic sources (assume one is a regular L/R, the other is a rear L/R).....so I'd like to get the full psychedelic effect and get pre-surround, full quadraphonic man
lambda.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Easily done - just plug 'em in. Remember that Quadrophonic sound is simply stereo from the front and the back. These oldies look like they simply have dual drivers per cup, situated in the front and back for "surround sound".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back