What headphones are better than DT 1770 pro...
Mar 25, 2017 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Flex2d

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, i had a pair of DT 1770 pro's and i can't put my finger on it.. but it seems like they are just lacking something.. it's almost like the warmth in string instruments is just not there. Don't get me wrong they sound great.. but just missing something.. maybe detail or warmth maybe musicality .. can't put my finger on it so i have just sold them in my quest for that 'beautiful sound' so say.. so i am asking for the wisdom of this forum to help me find that great pair of head phones.

If anyone kind of knows what i mean then please send me some suggestion.

I am currently running head phones through a Little Dot MK2.

Considering Sony z7 or Fostex 600

I'm looking for closed back but thinking maybe hd650 if no other option..

Edit:Looking for closed back headphone.

Thanks

Daniel

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 10
  Hello, i had a pair of DT 1770 pro's and i can't put my finger on it.. but it seems like they are just lacking something.. it's almost like the warmth in string instruments is just not there. Don't get me wrong they sound great.. but just missing something.. maybe detail or warmth maybe musicality .. can't put my finger on it so i have just sold them in my quest for that 'beautiful sound' so say.. so i am asking for the wisdom of this forum to help me find that great pair of head phones.

What are you using for a DAC?

So your looking at adding more warmth to the audio?

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 10

Thanks

Daniel

They have a mid bass hump that can bleed into the higher frequencies and cover them up so you don't hear all the details of the song.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 10
I am currently using on board pc dac. it supports 600ohm headphpones.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-GAMING-9-ACK.html#hero-overview 

But i have been eyeing up the SMSL m8 of late..

Thanks

Daniel 

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 10
  I am currently using on board pc dac. it supports 600-Ohm headphpones.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-GAMING-9-ACK.html#hero-overview 
But I have been eyeing up the SMSL m8 of late.

So your motherboard has a Realtek ALC1150 audio processor and I'm guessing some sort of very "basic" headphone amplification.
So you plug the LittleDot MKII into the motherboard's on-board audio (ALC1150).
And your motherboard comes with Creative's Sound Blaster Cinema 2 software.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 10
@Flex2d: Pity you sold the DT1770 already..
I would have suggested getting a better quality DAC that onboard audio first, so even the SM8.
And would have suggested using a music player like Foobar2000 or JRiver, with Kernelstreaming/ASIO, with some Hi-Res files...
And lastly, maybe changing the tubes of the LD MK2 to ones that have more 'warmth'

I too am looking for a closed-back 'audiophile' experience/Hi-Fi headphone, to listen to at high volumes, without disturbing anyone else  -- Got an old, sick dog that's gets very upset otherwise.
So I hope you don't mind me attaching to your thread; Hope we both benefit from it and the forum's feedback.

I'm currently using a Shure SRH1540 (my office headphones that I pair with my GOv2) at home, which is great... but hope to find something better; my open-back headphones are: Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD800S, Audeze LCD-4.

My source is AudioGD NOS 11 (feed via a Pink Faun I2S PCIe Bridge) to LD mk6+ ( matched pair 5691 NOS RCA Red Base pre/driver tubes & matched quad 1950's RCA 6AS7G power tubes )
But would like to be able to use the new closed-back headphone for portable and office use as well ( Portable: Onkyo Granbeat | Office: GOv2.  Both via balanced connection )

The below list is my possible contenders for a closed-back headphone:
  1. Sony MDR-Z1 -- 70mm drivers!!
  2. AKG K872 -- downside is that they are single-ended only :frowning2:
  3. Audeze LCD-XC  -- seem a bit heavy tho
  4. Fostex TH-900
  5. MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow
  6. Beyerdynamic T5p
  7. Beyerdynamic DT1770

I haven't seen a 'shootout' review among all of these closed-back headphones, so hope that I can get some guidance -- Unfortunately, I'm unable to audition them due to no stores having them in my country

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 10
  @Flex2d: Pity you sold the DT1770 already..
I would have suggested getting a better quality DAC that onboard audio first, so even the SM8.
And would have suggested using a music player like Foobar2000 or JRiver, with Kernelstreaming/ASIO, with some Hi-Res files...
And lastly, maybe changing the tubes of the LD MK2 to ones that have more 'warmth'

I too am looking for a closed-back 'audiophile' experience/Hi-Fi headphone, to listen to at high volumes, without disturbing anyone else  -- Got an old, sick dog that's gets very upset otherwise.
So I hope you don't mind me attaching to your thread; Hope we both benefit from it and the forum's feedback.

I'm currently using a Shure SRH1540 (my office headphones that I pair with my GOv2) at home, which is great... but hope to find something better; my open-back headphones are: Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD800S, Audeze LCD-4.

My source is AudioGD NOS 11 (feed via a Pink Faun I2S PCIe Bridge) to LD mk6+ ( matched pair 5691 NOS RCA Red Base pre/driver tubes & matched quad 1950's RCA 6AS7G power tubes )
But would like to be able to use the new closed-back headphone for portable and office use as well ( Portable: Onkyo Granbeat | Office: GOv2.  Both via balanced connection )

1. Sony MDR-Z1 -- 70mm drivers!!
  2. AKG K872 -- downside is that they are single-ended only :frowning2:
  3. Audeze LCD-XC  -- seem a bit heavy tho
  4. Fostex TH-900
  5. MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow
  6. Beyerdynamic T5p
  7. Beyerdynamic DT1770

I haven't seen a 'shootout' review among all of these closed-back headphones, so hope that I can get some guidance -- Unfortunately, I'm unable to audition them due to no stores having them in my country

Hi thanks for your suggestions. I have already spend £150 on tube rolling nd tried a few dac which i returned. I started off with smsl Sanskrit 6th then tried hifime sabre 9082 little dac and they were ok but seemed to add to the music. Sanskrit was best of the 2 but it was adding strange random additions to the music . i could play the same 5 econd loop and would be diferent every time. 
Don't get me wrong with the beyerdynamics they are great well balance sounding headphones.. just weren't exciting.. its like you are just looking for something more like trying to find something they just can't give. i tried eq to see if i could find the missing frequency and so to no joy.

So i am upping my anti and increasing my budget to see if i can find a pair which offers great vocal, feel wood instruments string vibration and clean punchy bass that is present but not muddy. The dt 1770 pro would not give m the feeling of the stringed instruments as if your in the room.

You got some nice head phones there :wink:

Daniel

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 10
@Flex2d
: Pity you sold the DT1770 already..

• Sony MDR-Z1 -- 70mm drivers!!
  • AKG K872 -- downside is that they are single-ended only :frowning2:
  • Audeze LCD-XC  -- seem a bit heavy tho
  • Fostex TH-900
  • MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow
  • Beyerdynamic T5p
  • Beyerdynamic DT1770

T5P for me had less bass than the 1770. Thinner over all sound compared to the 1770. Z1 was ok and TH900 is nice but has a lot of leakage.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm no longer in a situation that requires a closed-back headphone, sadly.

But good luck with the search...  I was told to look at the Ultrastone close-backs as well, so perhaps add those to the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back