What headphones and dac/amp would you recommend for a soon-to-be audophile?
Apr 24, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Marble

New Head-Fier
I'm getting $1,500 soon and I'd like to spend at the most $500-$600 on some headphones and a dac/amp combo now, and save the rest for different headphones once I get more into this hobby.

I'm on a laptop, so I need a dac and I've seen a few dac/amps combined. If possible, can you recommend one of those? I've been looking at the iBasso D10, but I'm not sure if it's good enough. As for headphones, I have no idea what to look for. People have been recommending AKG K701(this is the one I'm leading towards most), Sennheiser HD 595, HD600, HD650, Grado sr225i(dunno about these, I've heard that they have a bad soundbase(or stage? not sure which one).

Anyway, I listen to all genres and like them all pretty much equally. If I had to choose though, my favorite would be hard rock and metal, but only by a little bit.

If you were me and wanted to spend $600 on headphones and a dac/amp, which ones would you buy?

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for headphones, I have no idea what to look for. People have been recommending AKG K701(this is the one I'm leading towards most), Sennheiser HD 595, HD600, HD650, Grado sr225i(dunno about these, I've heard that they have a bad soundbase(or stage? not sure which one).

You're not going to know which one is best until you listen to all of them. Once you get into the $200-300 range, different headphones aren't so much better as they are simply different.

"Bad" depends on what you're looking for. Grados have a "small" soundstage, which is not always bad. It is, however, always small. That's considered a coloration, when a headphone imparts part of its characteristic onto every genre and every song. Small soundstage is great for rock and jazz, makes the music more personal and/or aggressive, but you'll find the space between instruments lacking in classical. In comparison, the K701 might have a "good" or large soundstage, but like the Grado it imparts it onto everything. Great for classical, not so great for rock. Unless you like your guitarist standing over on that mountain while the drummer rocks it out a few miles behind you.

Amp/DAC depends entirely on what you choose for headphones. Grados need no amp, though sound a little better with one (driven best by solid-state, but take well to tube "sound"). K701 requires an amp as expensive as your total budget or more to sound their "best", but either way you're not getting away with a $200 purchase there. You have to start by finding which headphone you want.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Buy something. Start small. That will give you spending room for a second pair of cans or whatever later on. As you get an idea what kind of things you like, you get a lot of mileage buying and selling second-hand until you're satisfied with your headphones and gear. Also, if you're in the USA, go to Canjam in June. You'll be able to try out a ton of gear and meet a lot of cool people.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Right now you need to listen to lots of headphoens and see what you prefer.

Big soundstage, small, bright or dark, warm or cold, bassy, trebly, what not. These are things you need to determine now before you can figure out what the best headphone is, and before we can help with specific suggestions.

If I were you though, I would buy a D10 and an M50. That's just me, though.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Dude, you just got into headphones... start with a Creative Aurvana Live! or a RX 700 and mod it or even KSC75s... max some Grado SR60i or something

but get the feel for headphones and know what you like in headphone before going expensive

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy something. Start small. That will give you spending room for a second pair of cans or whatever later on. As you get an idea what kind of things you like, you get a lot of mileage buying and selling second-hand until you're satisfied with your headphones and gear. Also, if you're in the USA, go to Canjam in June. You'll be able to try out a ton of gear and meet a lot of cool people.

Well said.....

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 11
I've spent a little over 600 on a K701 and PS Audio gcha amp/dac. I use my macbook as source, and I'm really enjoying them right now. You can find used gcha amp around 400, it's said to be among the best for K701, but i don't have a good source for it.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Get Grado sr60 and AT Ad700 with Audio gd Fun for dac/amp..
That way you can find out what type of can is right for you in a budget.
Ad700 sound so similar to K701 at fraction of the cost..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back