What headphone to get with $300?????
Apr 6, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
try a 325i from headroom.com or a MS2i, which is similar.

Good suggestion. I would go with that as well, although, a well amped HD580 may be good for mellow rock as well.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #17 of 30
Although they are getting harder and harder to find the JVC HADX3 is an accurate sounding well built set of closed phones that I use as reference monitors for recording. They are accurate across the entire spectrum and an incredible bargain.
http://www.beachaudio.com/advanced_s...keywords=HADX3
Get a pair and an amp. I have even used them with one of the Cmoy's I built.
I have used them as monitors ALL day and they remain comfortable.
You won't regret it.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #19 of 30
The 325i might be a bit bright without a good amp. I would look into getting an MS-2i, as the highs are a bit more tamed, yet you still get great detail!
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #20 of 30
A900s for closed.

HD-595s for open.

^unamped.

Lol, I have good taste! The Grados look like s*** IMO, so I'd reckon thats not just my opinion.

The 595s conversely are one of the most beautiful headphones I've seen, pretty small for circum-aurals too.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 30
Another recommendation for A900s here.

And just to add my 2 cents on the A900s... they do leak quite abit at moderate to high volume listening, more than any closed headphone I've ever had or heard.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #22 of 30
I hear this, someone said that....
etysmile.gif

Let us talk about what we know as can-attics. If I were you I may consider two types of great cans, because sometimes it takes a pair or two when auditioning them to know the sound, preferences, and type of fitting cans you will want. A lot of head files will tell you do one for a period of time and then the other...no dice.
Perhaps buy the MS-1's and the SR-225's, you should be able to pick up both for under your said budget...at that point it may be of use to get with someone whom has a dedicated headphone amp, and even determine if the the Grado sound will be your bag. I always end up having a few pairs to monitor so I may A/B them...keep them minty new, and pass them along if needs be.. But really start listening after you burn those two sets in real well at a least 40-55 hours, (you know before any critical ear hawking..)
Both of these cans are known for quality and retain their resale value should you choose to opt for a different can in the future.

It is a great idea to start with Grado sound because of how well they make rock music. Plus if you start somewhere else and feel satisfied you may be wondering all along because of the press these cans get..
Also many of the bands people listen to through the headphones are the perfect types of tunes to play on Grados, not all. ..just many. And Grados do awesome with rap and hip hop...not that I am down bout it all the time, but throw wyclef jean's old disc, (with the mask on the disc black background )
Beautiful music, separation and guitar instrumentation, and the vocals/male voices on that disc are superb..)

Grado sound: where it is ok for you to be in the studio with your beer grinning like a tool and tapping your feet..

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
Another recommendation for A900s here.

And just to add my 2 cents on the A900s... they do leak quite abit at moderate to high volume listening, more than any closed headphone I've ever had or heard.

This leakage is not comparable with open cans. Obviously sound will leak out if you hear it above average listening level. But it's audible only in silent places untill we break the barrier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim580
I find that any headphones I've listened to(including 32ohm), sound much better amped. IMHO.

IMHO, they definately sound slightly cleaner amped, but it's not going to be a completely different experience unamped for a newbie coming from earbuds. people make it sound as if everyone needs an amp to use their headphones, it's not true. the change in sound is going to be pretty small to most fresh ears. if you don't amp it, it definately doesn't mean you can't enjoy the 325i. i was listening to my 325i's directly out of my ipod yesterday. personally, i'd buy the more refined headphone and enjoy it, if i wanted to upgrade a few months later or tweak the sound slightly i'd get an amp.

i have hd580's too. they definately cannot be run out of a portable without an amp. the volume doesn't go loud enough, at least out of my ipod. the sound is ok, but a little underdriven. so the hd580 option definately needs to be amped. hd580 is a very good headphone, especially for a first headphone, but 325i is much more refined even when unamped, IMO. the sound signature is very different, so i understand this is a bit apples and oranges.

the other side is that before you drop $300 on grado's, you should try them first.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
i have hd580's too. they definately cannot be run out of a portable without an amp. the volume doesn't go loud enough, at least out of my ipod. the sound is ok, but a little underdriven. so the hd580 option definately needs to be amped. hd580 is a very good headphone, especially for a first headphone, but 325i is much more refined even when unamped, IMO. the sound signature is very different, so i understand this is a bit apples and oranges.

the other side is that before you drop $300 on grado's, you should try them first.

Comparing the HD 580 with the SR 325s is completely unfair. They're more fairly pitted against 225s.
SR 325is are closer to the 650s in price.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
This leakage is not comparable with open cans. Obviously sound will leak out if you hear it above average listening level. But it's audible only in silent places untill we break the barrier.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not comparable but it's best to not make it out like there'll be almost no noise leaving these because they're closed headphones. It's actually very audible with the TV on not just silent places, I found this out when my friend asked me "You like that song?" while he was watching TV and I had my A900s on. It's not me listening at extraordinary volumes either. Comparing directly with Sony 7506 at the same exact volume A900 leaks about 10x more without exageration, the Sonys barely leak at all while these make quite abit of noise.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Comparing the HD 580 with the SR 325s is completely unfair. They're more fairly pitted against 225s.

Chris, no.

i'm making a suggestion about what to do with $300. two options suggested were hd580 amped and 325i unamped. i own both headphones. i wasn't giving a headphone review, i'm telling someone what i'd do in a $300 scenario. i'm sorry it seems unfair to you that i prefer my 325i unamped to my hd580 amped, but i do.

you'll notice i also suggested he listen to grado's first before plunking down $300 on a pair.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed

Just because they're in the same price bracket does not mean they're in the same quality bracket. The HD580 is just as good a can as the SR325, and I think the comparison really falls down to house sound preference. The 580 is just an ubeatable deal, really.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
It's not comparable but it's best to not make it out like there'll be almost no noise leaving these because they're closed headphones. It's actually very audible with the TV on not just silent places, I found this out when my friend asked me "You like that song?" while he was watching TV and I had my A900s on. It's not me listening at extraordinary volumes either. Comparing directly with Sony 7506 at the same exact volume A900 leaks about 10x more without exageration, the Sonys barely leak at all while these make quite abit of noise.

I tried it with morethen average sound in my silent room. But there is no leaks
confused.gif
Just I heard very slight highs and upper mids peak of music. But yes... I got the song by it's slightly leakage of upper mids. Because I like that song
icon10.gif

Maybe you are facing some extra leakge. But it's really not clearly audible even at above average sound level. someone else should try this to figure out the problem I hope.

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #30 of 30
Well, the problem is that its hard for me to try out Grados. I live in Canada, and there are very few places I can buy them. So if I were to get a Grado, I would be either buying used or drive down to the States, and get a Grado there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back