What headphone/amp would you get?
Jun 9, 2006 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

braker218

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been looking for the perfect system for my situation and I would like to hear what you would do if you were me.

So, what I am looking for. First, I have about $700 to spend on a headphone/amp combo. The music I listen to is mostly classic rock, with a little acoustic rock and electric blues thrown in. I also should say that I do not what to get Grado SR-225's (which are commonly advised), as I have had some and they are okay but I feel I could get something better for me. Also, the headphones would preferably be closed, but it is not a necessity.

So basically, what headphone/amp combination would you recommend for me? I am totally lost on what to get. I am thinking maybe some RS-2's with a millet hybrid amp.

Thanks

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 3
Grados are an acquired taste for many. I fell in love with mine at first listen. IMHO a well made DIY millet is a very good Grado amp. Tube warmth combined with a solid state buffer section. IMHO sylvania 12AE6 sound kind of shouty and are too high gain, at least for my millet. I prefer rayethon 12FK6.

The K701 and SA5K are also a very good rock cans IMHO.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 3
The Millett Hybrid and RS-2 would probably be fine for you. However, there are a couple others that might suit you, too.

First, see if there are any HF-1s for sale here. You might be able to snag one for less than a RS-2, and it's a fine headphone.

Also, give the Sennheiser HD-580/600/650 line a listen. You might like what you hear with classic rock. Some don't consider them rock cans, but I think they do a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back