What has the best passive sound isolation?
Jun 20, 2011 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

theglaze

New Head-Fier
I ride a motorcycle and the wind noise and bikes exhaust combine for an uncomfortable experience without protection. My Sennheiser CX500 are decent but don't come close to my ear plugs rated at 32 dB reduction.

I value comfort during long sessions, high-quality materials, and sound quality as a distant third due to engine revs and a general lack of listening attention.

What kind of earphones or IEM am I looking for?

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 15
I am not so sure about high isolation and driving, but the highest isolating IEM you can find is Etymotic (which is also on the > -30dB range). However, Ety isn't really helmet friendly. For your purpose, Shure SE215 should suffice.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 15
I think you're in a bit of a pickle there, friend. For the best passive isolation, few would dispute Etymotic Research have the best--but they stick out of your ears and sit deep, which is going to be a problem for your helmet and comfort, respectively.

For comfort and (I think) better isolation than the CX500, you might try anything that can use Shure foam tips, such as: Shure (duh), Westone, and Earsonics (I'm assuming the Earsonics can use Shure tips). 
If I'm not mistaken, all 3 brands' IEMs rate at -26dB isolation.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 15
Shure E2c, PL30, PL50, MEElectronics M6, SA6 and HJE900.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Shure E2c, PL30, PL50, MEElectronics M6, SA6 and HJE900.

I must ask, did you read the first post about isolation?

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 15
Not nearly as experienced as ClieOS, but I found Shure SE115's and 215's to be excellent in isolation. Also, the cable was the least microphonic of the IEM's I've tried. RE0's are quite annoying after having gotten used to the Shure's... :)

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I am not so sure about high isolation and driving, but the highest isolating IEM you can find is Etymotic (which is also on the > -30dB range). However, Ety isn't really helmet friendly. For your purpose, Shure SE215 should suffice.

+2

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

I use HF3s in an Arai RX7RR, and in an Arai Signet.   I find they work just fine in the helmet with good comfort and great isolation, and great sound!  I just picked up a set of UM Miracles on the weekend, and tried them cycling today.   Definitely better sound and comfort, but less isolation.  Haven't tried them in the mc helmet yet.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Most of the isolation you are looking for can be achieved through the use of foam tips.  Good tips are essentially the same as the foam earplugs you use.

If you're wearing it with your helmet then something that is flush with your ear would be best.  Something like the Westone design or more recent Shures like the 215's.   

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Most of the isolation you are looking for can be achieved through the use of foam tips.  Good tips are essentially the same as the foam earplugs you use.

If you're wearing it with your helmet then something that is flush with your ear would be best.  Something like the Westone design or more recent Shures like the 215's.   

Shures, Then Westone. Westones sit a bit more flush and are more comfortable, but Shures Isolate the best, 

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the quick replies.

Are there foam sleeve options for my CX500? Browsing through Sennheiser.com doesn't reveal much, I may have to place a call with their parts and repair department. Will Shure sleeves work with the CX500 design below?

An email replay from JH Audio referred me to Hearing Dynamics who work specifically with JH5 IEM and customize the mold for a slimmer external design making it easier to slip a full face helmet on and off. These are called JH-5M, and here is the fit difference:

JH-5M

JH5 Pro

Shure states 37 dB isolation, is that with the EABKF1 sleeves? And once again, I imagine the snug foam fit is the eason why these block +10 dB more than the hard plastic JH-5M.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
An email replay from JH Audio referred me to Hearing Dynamics who work specifically with JH5 IEM and customize the mold for a slimmer external design making it easier to slip a full face helmet on and off. These are called JH-5M, and here is the fit difference:

That's pretty interesting. When I was emailing with them recently, I asked about non-over ear designs, mostly out of curiousity, and they didn't mention anything about it - said it was a design choice. Though maybe I'm mixing that up with recessed cables. I'll have to go check. I wonders why most custom's don't make their entry models slimmer, with only 2 drivers there mst be plenty of room left over.

If I hadn't read about it here, and seen that you were referred by JH Audio themselves, I wouldn't have believed it to be real, as that site looks rather sketchy. But neat, so thanks for the info! I think we finally found one average_joe doesn't list!

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 15
Comply Foam T-400 work with the CX500.   I once had a pair, the tips are a little tough to get on but they fit.  

I couldn't stand the CX500 though because of the awful wind noise I would get just walking my dogs in a light breeze.  The plastic shell resonated any and all wind, I ended up giving them away.  So just foam tips may not solve your problem with those earbuds.  None of my other earbuds have had the wind issue anywhere near the same magnitude that those did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back