What has happend to this hobby?
Jul 16, 2015 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tjohnusa

Headphoneus Supremus
It would seem to me it has become a monster. A quick look at the for sale forums tells alot...amps for sale are way up there. Is it possible that the voyage to nirvana of sound cannot be bought? I think alot of the high dollar stuff is more snake oil than many think (or hope). I know so many here abhore the use of EQ in the guise of trying to be purist. Unless you have the same ears and setup as the recording engineer you will not hear the same.....really. The human ear is quite an amazing thing in that it can adjust itself to the enviornment....or maybe it is the brain that does that. We all have probably listened to something wether it be cans or speakers that sounded aweful but mellowed out after a time. My attitude has always been if it sounds good to you than enjoy. Getting back to EQ I remember Soundcraftsmen sold cards that aligned with the sliders on their EQ's that the user would cut so as to remember the best setting for certain songs or albums because all the equipment is different. Sony's daps had 2 custom settings along with the trash factory choices but I loved the 2 settings that I could set for IEM's or full size cans. My only purchase of recent has been a set of Mee M6 Pro to step in for an old set of Sure E4 and I must say for $50 they are awesome.....to me.....I feel no need to chase a better sound. I wou;ld like to hear other thoughts and in particular long standing members that have been along for thid ride for a long time. Thanks.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 11
I've always wondered why here SARS (Severe Audio Replacement Syndrome) tends to be a sign of belonging than in other hobbies I'm into. Even the speaker forums I'm in where it's harder to audition gear since the existence of brick and mortar dealers ups the price without actually taking into account what room modes you might have tend to not see that as "welcome! and sorry about your wallet, that's how it is around here!" and slam on the brakes on somebody asking for advice to validate his compulsions.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 11
While prices of summit-fi gear expand into the stratosphere, budget equipment also gets better and better. Don't forget the vintage stuff too. I got a 1980s STAX system in a trade for some CDs, and it sounds more realistic to me than all the non-electrostatic headphones I've heard, including ones that cost thousands of dollars! Anyway, I believe a day will come when we have a much greater understanding of audio, especially pertaining to what contributes to better sound and what doesn't.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 11
I've been around the block in head-fi, and my recommendation would be to get a good condition Stax Lambda Pro until you can afford a new SR-009, pairing either with the best Kevin Gilmore or KG/Spritzer designed amp build that you can afford. Good quality DACs can also be had for well under 1K-2K used/new now. This route will get you sound quality that's as enjoyable as it is high-fidelity (the SR-009 is the best transducer IMO), and will avoid all the BS and silly expenses that are out there now. The cables upgrade, silly amps, and tweaks have exploded, as well as companies that come out with a new flagship every year (or more); that's for sure -- none of those are necessary, in fact it's pretty much necessary that you avoid them if you care about sound quality.

I still love the old L3000 and Qualia 010, but both both are flawed gems, extremely rare, impossible to repair, and extremely expensive. Wasn't bowled-over by the HE1000, and if I never hear an MDR-R10 or Orpheus he90 again I won't miss them. Stax is the way to go.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 11
  I've been around the block in head-fi, and my recommendation would be to get a good condition Stax Lambda Pro until you can afford a new SR-009, pairing either with the best Kevin Gilmore or KG/Spritzer designed amp build that you can afford. Good quality DACs can also be had for well under 1K-2K used/new now. This route will get you sound quality that's as enjoyable as it is high-fidelity (the SR-009 is the best transducer IMO), and will avoid all the BS and silly expenses that are out there now. The cables upgrade, silly amps, and tweaks have exploded, as well as companies that come out with a new flagship every year (or more); that's for sure -- none of those are necessary, in fact it's pretty much necessary that you avoid them if you care about sound quality.

Coincidentally, this is pretty much my plan for the next few months.
biggrin.gif

(Except I was going to go straight for the SR-009 and start out with a STAX SRM-323S until I can upgrade to an ultimate electrostat amp.)

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 11

Coincidentally, this is pretty much my plan for the next few months.
biggrin.gif

(Except I was going to go straight for the SR-009 and start out with a STAX SRM-323S until I can upgrade to an ultimate electrostat amp.)

That's a pretty smart route; the 323 is pretty decent and the SR-009 will be your end-game headphone. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Though if you are looking to buy used gear all the time you have SARS also :)

I am out of it completly this is the forum section I check. I don´t even listen to music anymore but I have tons of use of my headphones for movies and games :)

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 11

I am out of it completly this is the forum section I check. I don´t even listen to music anymore but I have tons of use of my headphones for movies and games :)

I buy, sell, and trade headphones way too often...just look at my custom title. (And the parody song at the bottom of my profile.) lol

Speaking of videos and games...I have found that I am far less picky with headphones for that purpose than I am with music.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 11

After I got my Cantate I only looked up classifieds when stuff broke. Twice with IEMs, and then once when the Cantate busted a few chips and picked up a Rega Ear for $140 (which is all I had at the time that I can spend without breaking the bank).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back